Could Stanzi Best Qb in Iowa History?

If they were to go undefeated this year and win the NC he would be the most successful QB in Iowa history like Jon stated, QBs are remembered by wins. If the OL gels, he has a chance to put up good passing numbers with DJK and Mcnutt to throw to, so it is a possibility for him to be in Heisman consideration. Who are pre-season favorites to win the Heisman, Pryor and Ingram?

If this season broke perfectly for Iowa, ie...they won all the games they are favored in,which is every game leading up to OSU, and then they beat OSU and Minny to close out a clean season, Stanzi would very likely be a Heisman candidate. The Bama rb was not among the favs opening the season last year, and then they went clean and he is the MAN. That award is all about team success these days, and so Ricky could be in the hunt if we are as good as advertised.

Ricky still is in the team picture, and if he has a huge season,and the team does as well, he could move into the #1 slot,imo. Winning is the only thing that matters,and as Craig Krenzel showed, you do not have to be the prettiest girl at the dance to get it done.

Not being the prettiest girl at the dance probably means the defense kept the team in the game and kept giving the ball back to the offense to try again. That was last year......This year if everyone stays healthy, I see Ricky doing very well. He showed great comeback skills and super accurate passing in catch-up or stay ahead situations.

Iowa should have been ahead by 21 by the end of the third quarter because the defense held opposing teams to one or two touchdowns. Most of the time an apposing team was in the game at the half or even third quarter was because the offense was in the game when the opposing team scored.

If Ricky does well and everyone stays healthy, Iowa should do very well this year and Ricky should deserve some attention.

He has a chance.

If Ricky leads Iowa to a NC then yes the argument is there he is the best because he led Iowa to a NC.

Anything less is debatable.

If the hawks were to win the rose Bowl you could but him in that Conversation. I agree if he were to win the national championship there is a great chance he would go down as the best QB in Iowa history. This is a long shot and hopefully after the football season we can have this conversation.

:):eek:

Agree! Stanzi has had the benefit of two of the best defenses in Iowa history and Shonn Greene.

stateline - Long had some benefits too, no??!! Think about the team that was around him - Ronnie Harmon, Larry Station...and Reggie Roby was a senior during Long's 1st season as a starter in '82. Not a bad backup plan on 3rd down.

It's not nearly as laughable when you realize it often does not go to the best player in college football.

See: Larry Fitzgerald, Adrian Peterson, Darren McFadden, Colt McCoy, and Toby Gerhart/Ndamakung Suh. Oh wait, that's just the guys who should have won it and didn't since 2003. I'm sure there's quite a few more.

Would have to win a National Title to even get in the conversation with Chuck Long. Even then, I think he falls short.

Would have to win a National Title to even get in the conversation with Chuck Long. Even then, I think he falls short.

Again, he very easily could be considered the most successful QB in school history. But I don't know if we'll ever see a QB as prolific as Chuck Long ever again.

If he were to cut down the INT's and we were undefeated, he'd start to get some consideration.
my take also.

otherwise there is no way in heck you can compare RS to Chuck Long. Or Hartleib for that matter. Maybe in the same conversation as Banks and Rogers and Tate.

Again, he very easily could be considered the most successful QB in school history. But I don't know if we'll ever see a QB as prolific as Chuck Long ever again.

Best doesn't equal most successful, IMO. Dan Marino's still better than Troy Aikman even though Troy won 3 rings to Dan's 0...

Best doesn't equal most successful, IMO. Dan Marino's still better than Troy Aikman even though Troy won 3 rings to Dan's 0...

That's what I'm saying. Nobody is ever going to be a better QB than Chuck Long at Iowa. But Stanzi could go down as the most successful, and maybe get as high as #2 or #3 on the list of all-timers. But nobody will ever touch Chuck Long.

I didn't see Randy Duncan play but I've seen the rest in the modern era and I'd rank them as follows:

1. Chuck Long;

2. Brad Banks

3. Chuck Hartlieb

4. Mark Vlassic

After that you have the "field" including guys like Drew Tate. Can't rate Rick until he finished his career. I think Stanzi can move into the 2,3 or 4 hole depending on his senior year. No one has played the position like Chuck Long in the last 25 years and its not even close. JMHO.:)

very interesting, i grew up on Chuck Long and can remember being a kid about 10 years old and all the grandparents and parents having their "adult beverages" and watching the big michigan-iowa game, the rose bowl and the infamous Zabels--Hawks win! hawks win! hawks win! ---was it 85 or 86 when the song "Iowa's bringing home the roses" came out?( or was it '82 that song came out--- god, i remember my mom playing that basically as a daily ritual in our house up till the big game..... till we lost and my mom and dad would argue as to ronnie hartlieb(sp?) blowing the game for a bet pay off--- (i think my mom had too many fuzzy navels that year)

that being said, Chuck long is certainly a decorated player in the QC realm at Iowa--- Although-- Brad Banks was pretty dang good and when you compare 02 and the 85/86 seasons, it's a fair argument to put banks up with Long, banks definitely had some good running and versatile qualities --- after that? IDK personally--- Tate and then Stanzi, but baring a disastrous season, i think Stanzi already is a better quality quarter back not to mention more sucessful quarter back than Tate--- Tate really blew it his last season and his ego became his biggest opponent that year----

Last edited:
It is all there this season...he has a chance to be a Heisman contender, he is nationally known, top 10 preseason team, if all things go well

He could have 3 bowl wins with 2 of them being BCS wins, a 30-4 record or so as a starterm beating #1 ohio state at kinnick to clinch the big ten this year

What do u guys think? or have i been drinking to much kool aid?

"Nationally known" does not just include playing on a Big 10 team & even top Big 10 team. There is much more to the landscape of college football.

Currently, Rick Stanzi is known to Big 10 teams, South Carolina, Georgia Tech & Arizona. Yes, he could really make a name for himself this year with another run & increasing is stats. But, unfortunately, right now, not many fans from other conferences would identify who Iowa's QB is.

I.E. Name me Oregon's QB?
Missouri's QB?
Nebraska's QB?
Auburn's QB?
LSU's QB?

You get what I am saying. Stanzi doesn't market himself like Tebow, Bradford or McCoy & doesn't have coaches that care to market by going that route.

Those are pretty BIG ifs...

Well he certainly looked better about not forcing the ball in the controlled scrimmage. He's improved every year so far, and I fully expect him to do the same. The interceptions are what he focused on all offseason, so I don't think it's too much to expect him to improve in that area. He's shown us time and again, on and off the field, that when he puts his mind to something he's going to get it done.

And honestly, have you EVER been caught on the record as saying something positive about Iowa sports? I've certainly never seen it. Either your bashing coaches, taking jabs at players, or putting down posters on here. That schtick gets pretty old very quickly.

Stanzi has no shot at winning the heisman, as long as Ryan Donahue is on the team.

This thread should be renamed to-"Could Ryan Donahue be the best HAWKEYE ever?"

Latest posts