Could it be Fran???

I don't think what Cal is doing at Kentucky is against the rules, but I do think what he is doing has contributed to the decline of college basketball. College bball really needs something similar to NCAA Baseball, either you go pro out of high school (NBA or D-League or overseas or independent league) or you go to a CC for 1 or 2 years or you commit to a 4 year college for at least 3 years.

Right now the NBA is basically using college as a 1 year minor league system and its pretty sad.

It's an NBA rule, not an NCAA rule. The NBA is never going back to allowing kids to come in right out of high school, does not make business sense for them.

It could also be Anthony Davis and Bruce Weber as others have noted on the Twittersphere
This makes more sense. Calipari is a Pittsburgh guy. Fran is a Philly guy. No way a Philly guy lets a Pittsburgh guy get the last word in.

It's an NBA rule, not an NCAA rule. The NBA is never going back to allowing kids to come in right out of high school, does not make business sense for them.

I would completely disagree. The NBA can stash 1 and done type high school kids in the D-league for minimum salary where they don't have to focus on half-school/half-basketball and can instead focus 100% on basketball related activities. The risk would still be on the kid...if he wasn't contributing they could release him or cut him with little loss. In fact there would probably be less risk in that type of scenario and the NBA scouts would know more about what they were getting.

Would a kid rather attend a year worth of classes or make say $50k to play basketball year round? Seems pretty obvious to me.

Would a guard like Deangelo Russell have benefited from no school and more weight room time? Would Jahlil Okafor have benefited more from studying for his history final exam or working on his quickness and defense on the court?

It doesn't make sense. I have no problem with there being a 1 year stepping stone between high school and the NBA, but that stepping stone should not be college basketball

I would completely disagree. The NBA can stash 1 and done type high school kids in the D-league for minimum salary where they don't have to focus on half-school/half-basketball and can instead focus 100% on basketball related activities. The risk would still be on the kid...if he wasn't contributing they could release him or cut him with little loss. In fact there would probably be less risk in that type of scenario and the NBA scouts would know more about what they were getting.

Would a kid rather attend a year worth of classes or make say $50k to play basketball year round? Seems pretty obvious to me.

Would a guard like Deangelo Russell have benefited from no school and more weight room time? Would Jahlil Okafor have benefited more from studying for his history final exam or working on his quickness and defense on the court?

It doesn't make sense. I have no problem with there being a 1 year stepping stone between high school and the NBA, but that stepping stone should not be college basketball

You can disagree, but you're wrong. How many people would know of Deangelo Russell or Okafor if they were playing in Sioux Falls or Fort Wayne? The NCAA is an unbelievable marketing machine for the NBA, and it's completely free. The NBA is not giving that up.

Also 98% of kids are choosing college basketball over the D-League. College is fun for these kids, they're celebrities on campus. Playing in the D-League for $50k is not worth it. Spending your winters playing in empty arenas in Erie, Grand Rapids and Reno against grown men who are trying to make a living and out for themselves is not a lot of fun.

If they just wanted to be the best basketball player they could, kids would leave high school early and go play in Europe against the best non-NBA competition in the world. But we don't see that, and that's because it's not easy. Guys like Brandon Jennings and Jeremy Tyler who have tried going the Europe have both talked about how difficult that route is.

No not the same thing at all. Calipari never was found guilty of any wrong doing, never had any show-cause penalty or anything. Derrek Rose and Marcus Camby were the ones who violated NCAA rules not Cal.

Don't be naive. The insinuation that Calipari had no idea what Camby and Rose were up to is silly. Just because the NCAA didn't punish the man doesn't mean he didn't commit any wrongdoing. For someone who seems to follow basketball very closely, you must know full well that Cal has a history of skating rules, whether it be academic standards or amateurism rules.

Last edited:

How many one and done players are making less than $50,000.00 in college. Cal is as dirty as they come. Boosters and coaches are a tight knit group. Boosters let the coaches know if the coach wants something they'll help to make it happen. Agents are talking to boosters getting cars, cash whatever it takes to get a kid. The agents then try to turn that into securing the kid so they can represent them from going pro. From everything I heard Lebron James was not living in the lap of luxury growing up yet towards the end of high school he was driving an Escalade. That didn't come from an appearance on Wheel of Fortune.

How many one and done players are making less than $50,000.00 in college. Cal is as dirty as they come. Boosters and coaches are a tight knit group. Boosters let the coaches know if the coach wants something they'll help to make it happen. Agents are talking to boosters getting cars, cash whatever it takes to get a kid. The agents then try to turn that into securing the kid so they can represent them from going pro. From everything I heard Lebron James was not living in the lap of luxury growing up yet towards the end of high school he was driving an Escalade. That didn't come from an appearance on Wheel of Fortune.

My guess would be LeBron's parents took out a line of credit based on the projected money he was going to make and bought the escalade for him. That's not unheard of and its not illegal. Hell I bought a brand new car right out of college before working at my new job, I just supplied the dealership with my offer sheet and they said that was good enough.

You can disagree, but you're wrong. How many people would know of Deangelo Russell or Okafor if they were playing in Sioux Falls or Fort Wayne? The NCAA is an unbelievable marketing machine for the NBA, and it's completely free. The NBA is not giving that up.

Well for starters they were both 5 star prospects as well as mcdonalds all americans? Everyone that mattered already knew about them. I'm assuming the NBA would much rather have players of that elite caliber developing in the D-league for a year rather than going to classes

Also, 3 of the top 7 draft picks in 2015 never stepped foot on a college campus.

My guess would be LeBron's parents took out a line of credit based on the projected money he was going to make and bought the escalade for him. That's not unheard of and its not illegal. Hell I bought a brand new car right out of college before working at my new job, I just supplied the dealership with my offer sheet and they said that was good enough.
You my friend might be a little naive on this one. I'm sure you've done this and there are many others. Most doctors receive a pre-approved house mortgage even before they know where they're going to live. I could believe it for Lebron if he was driving a more modest car. Blue blood colleges are as dirty as they come. A couple of years ago would you hae believed the academic scandal at North Carolina was going on when Dean Smith was coaching?

Well for starters they were both 5 star prospects as well as mcdonalds all americans? Everyone that mattered already knew about them. I'm assuming the NBA would much rather have players of that elite caliber developing in the D-league for a year rather than going to classes

Also, 3 of the top 7 draft picks in 2015 never stepped foot on a college campus.

Everyone that mattered? LOL The NBA is a business, it's hardcore fan base makes up a very small portion of the people who spend money on the league. The well known high school prospects are very, very rare. A guy like LeBron comes around once in a generation. Guys like Carmelo or Durant were names the general public had never heard of coming out of high school, one year in college, and they are marketable stars. You're crazy if you think the NBA is giving that up. Not to mention all the additional scouting costs that come with having to scout high schoolers.

The D-League also has a long ways to go before it's set up to be a solid devlopmental league. Not every team even has it's own D-League affiliate at this point, teams are a mix of a handful of guys under team control and free agents trying to get their shot. Not a great environment for top talent to be developing in. Spending a year under an elite college coach is not something the NBA is against.

Geez, yeah Calipari would strike fear in just about anyone...riiiigghht. He's fat and and he looks like Yogi Bear for christ's sake. I dont' think Fran would mistake him for an MMA fighter or anything. I'm thinking Fran would break one off in his *** if Cal got in his face as the story goes.

Geez, yeah Calipari would strike fear in just about anyone...riiiigghht. He's fat and and he looks like Yogi Bear for christ's sake. I dont' think Fran would mistake him for an MMA fighter or anything. I'm thinking Fran would break one off in his *** if Cal got in his face as the story goes.

He'd leave Cal like Geno Smith if that had really happened.

Prospects can already go to the D-League out of high school. There is no restriction on that. So you are basically wrong. The NBA is a league built on the individual brands of players, so they want CBB fans to get excited about them, develop under very good coaching, etc. before they get to the league.

The NBA is getting everything it wants right now, and easiest explanation is that there is nothing stopping them from doing it any other way.

He's never been caught cheating. Fran's not the type to back down if he said something like that, they would have thrown down if that had been Fran.

So why did UMass have sanctions imposed after Cal left and before they even hired their next coach? And why did Memphis have sanctions imposed after Cal left and before they even hired their next coach? How long before Cal leaves Kentucky and sanctions are imposed there? Seems to take about 7-9 years according to his history.

He's a cheater and has a history of cheating. Doesn't make him a bad recruiter or coach. He just cheats.

No not the same thing at all. Calipari never was found guilty of any wrong doing, never had any show-cause penalty or anything. Derrek Rose and Marcus Camby were the ones who violated NCAA rules not Cal.

Just because they never found Cal guilty doesn't mean he didn't do anything wrong. Just means they couldn't directly trace it back to him.

People in general or people who matter in the NBA? How many people kept Emmanuel Mudiay on the radar after his senior year in high school? General public maybe 20%... NBA scouts and talent evaluators 100%.

People in general or people who matter in the NBA? How many people kept Emmanuel Mudiay on the radar after his senior year in high school? General public maybe 20%... NBA scouts and talent evaluators 100%.

Do NBA scouts account for a large portion of NBA merchandise sales? LOL

Latest posts