coroners report/ Sash

So the two mentioned are both pain pills right?

Hydrocodone (combined with tylenol) is known as Lortabs, Norco, etc. But it can also be prescribed as an individual agent. Used as a heavy duty analgesic. Norco comes in various strengths. Very tightly regulated.

Methadone is a synthetic opioid used mainly for heavy duty pain control, and is also used for people going through heroin withdrawal.

I work in the Long Term Care arena (nursing homes) and rarely if ever have seen those two prescribed together. One or the other is more than enough to control moderate to severe pain while under the supervision of a physician. Neither of them actually controls pain, but mitigates the user's sensation of pain.

Both are very addicting. Your body can go through withdrawal in as little as 72-hours of use of either. Dangerous stuff.

Hydrocodone (combined with tylenol) is known as Lortabs, Norco, etc. But it can also be prescribed as an individual agent. Used as a heavy duty analgesic. Norco comes in various strengths. Very tightly regulated.

Methadone is a synthetic opioid used mainly for heavy duty pain control, and is also used for people going through heroin withdrawal.

I work in the Long Term Care arena (nursing homes) and rarely if ever have seen those two prescribed together. One or the other is more than enough to control moderate to severe pain while under the supervision of a physician. Neither of them actually controls pain, but mitigates the user's sensation of pain.

Both are very addicting. Your body can go through withdrawal in as little as 72-hours of use of either. Dangerous stuff.

I am very curious to learn the levels that were found in his body.

People in a lot of pain will go to great lengths to ease their pain. It's quite possible he saw several different doctors in order to get one prescription and another doctor for the other prescription. I know from experience what pain could drive a person to do. I've had my disease for 25 years. After about 8 years the pain became unbearable. It's incredibly difficult to get pain medication prescribed unless you have a connection to the doctors. I remember many times of rolling around in pain and being awake 2 and 3 days straight. Two years without pain medication was driving me to insanity. It wasn't until my doctor told me he wanted to amputate my leg when I said I'm going to get a 2nd opinion. I went to the UofI Hospital where they looked at my leg for 10 minutes and said they could save my leg. They put me on Morphine which helped a great deal. I still take Morphine everyday but far less than what I used to. There's no cure for my disease which is why I still take Morphine but I credit my doctors for saving my life. If they wouldn't have given me pain medication I would have taken my own life. I was close when I went to the U of I. I don't blame anyone for going to any length, legal or illegal to ease their pain. Whether Tyler had mental or emotional problems I don't know but I could understand that pain could drive depression into him very easily. It's a very sad ending to such a promising life. Our doctors need to quit being taught the money side of medicine and take a refresher on compassion.

I think if there isn't substantial proof pointing to suicide, they always lean on the side of caution & say accidental, whether they completely know for sure or not. They don't want to label that if they are not completely sure, IMO.

To those who are taking one or both of those, be careful out there. As stated above can be a lethal mixture.

I am not a medical professional of any type. I get the impression from those on this thread that are, however, that no one would be given prescriptions to take both at the same time from one physician or multiple physicians that know of all other prescriptions. Period.

So the two mentioned are both pain pills right?

Methadone is used to treat addictions to other drugs.

The other is a opiate.

Its highly unlikely he was trying to kill himself. These drugs are very commonly used for recreation, easy to obtain, very addictive and hard to gauge your tolerance because it goes up with every use.

Basically its easy to think you can handle more than your body can take. Especially if you're drunk.

Methadone is used to treat addictions to other drugs.

The other is a opiate.

Its highly unlikely he was trying to kill himself. These drugs are very commonly used for recreation, easy to obtain, very addictive and hard to gauge your tolerance because it goes up with every use.

Basically its easy to think you can handle more than your body can take. Especially if you're drunk.

I fully agree with you...I have lost both friends and family to medication addictions, and what you said as well as the others prior, is so true. And to docaholihawks point...it sometimes is true that these meds are easier to get via illegal means than by legitimate needs...then once on them, they are so addictive, and if you are suffering continual severe pain, that alone will cloud your judgement. Very sad.

Not saying it is right or wrong(other than it is illegal in 48 states)but I understand why some NFL guys choose to smoke weed to deal with pain and soreness........Instead of getting a prescription for pain meds.

I fully agree with you...I have lost both friends and family to medication addictions, and what you said as well as the others prior, is so true. And to docaholihawks point...it sometimes is true that these meds are easier to get via illegal means than by legitimate needs...then once on them, they are so addictive, and if you are suffering continual severe pain, that alone will cloud your judgement. Very sad.

And a guy like Sash who was a borderline celebrity can find someone to give him a prescription fairly easily with just a little persuasion.

Not saying it is right or wrong(other than it is illegal in 48 states)but I understand why some NFL guys choose to smoke weed to deal with pain and soreness........Instead of getting a prescription for pain meds.

I don't think the majority are doing either to deal with pain, the difference is one makes you sit on the couch and eat Doritos , the other can kill you.

So I wonder if you have prescriptions and the amount is reasonable if that's what leads them to say it was accidental? No prescription, large amounts, suicide note, etc. would be indicators of intentional? Just curious about how the accidental term can be known and used versus s suicide attempt.

MHA, Im sure they also looked at the fact that he had surgery the day before. Ask his girl friend to marry him right before and was going back to school to get his degree. All not things that one would normally not do that is thinking of harming themselves.

Had extensive surgery on my shoulder in 2012 and a blood clot in my lung a few days after. I was prescribed hydrocodone for a total of 11 weeks while in the hospital and during PT afterwards. I can tell you from first hand experience that it's a scary, scary drug. I always wondered how people could lie and steal and throw their lives away over pain killers but not anymore. It's that ****ing powerful folks.

It's kind of of strange because you still feel all of the pain, but you don't care. That's the only way I can describe it. A few minutes after you take it you start to get a warm, fuzzy sensation, not unlike an initial beer buzz only 1,000 times "better" if you want to call it that. Then you get a sensation like you're sinking down into the couch and you feel totally serene and protected. The most euphoric you've ever felt and nothing could upset you.

I would wake up in the morning in the most excruciating pain I've ever experienced, and 15 minutes later I felt like Superman who had just won the lottery and had all the love in the universe concentrated in my brain twice over. Sounds fun, but you eventually find yourself spending a good portion of your day looking at the clock to see if you're good to go to take another dose. On top of that, every time you take it it works just a litttttttle less. And you get constipated. And irritable when it wears off. And then (if you're one of the unlucky people) you start stealing and lying to get it, and God forbid eventually dead. I was lucky enough to be able to walk away when my last prescription ran out.

Sorry for the long-winded description, but I just hope everyone can understand what a chokehold this crap puts on you and that Sash likely couldn't help himself. God I feel bad for the guy and I hope he just went to sleep. Never had the privilege to meet him but it's clear he touched a lot of lives. Rest in peace, man.

Had extensive surgery on my shoulder in 2012 and a blood clot in my lung a few days after. I was prescribed hydrocodone for a total of 11 weeks while in the hospital and during PT afterwards. I can tell you from first hand experience that it's a scary, scary drug. I always wondered how people could lie and steal and throw their lives away over pain killers but not anymore. It's that ****ing powerful folks.

It's kind of of strange because you still feel all of the pain, but you don't care. That's the only way I can describe it. A few minutes after you take it you start to get a warm, fuzzy sensation, not unlike an initial beer buzz only 1,000 times "better" if you want to call it that. Then you get a sensation like you're sinking down into the couch and you feel totally serene and protected. The most euphoric you've ever felt and nothing could upset you.

I would wake up in the morning in the most excruciating pain I've ever experienced, and 15 minutes later I felt like Superman who had just won the lottery and had all the love in the universe concentrated in my brain twice over. Sounds fun, but you eventually find yourself spending a good portion of your day looking at the clock to see if you're good to go to take another dose. On top of that, every time you take it it works just a litttttttle less. And you get constipated. And irritable when it wears off. And then (if you're one of the unlucky people) you start stealing and lying to get it, and God forbid eventually dead. I was lucky enough to be able to walk away when my last prescription ran out.

Sorry for the long-winded description, but I just hope everyone can understand what a chokehold this crap puts on you and that Sash likely couldn't help himself. God I feel bad for the guy and I hope he just went to sleep. Never had the privilege to meet him but it's clear he touched a lot of lives. Rest in peace, man.

It's a wonderful system we have.

The FDA allowed drug manufactures to flood the market with synthetic heroin and yet if you don't have enough money for the proper kick backs and lobbying you cant sell herbal supplements.

It's a wonderful system we have.

The FDA allowed drug manufactures to flood the market with synthetic heroin and yet if you don't have enough money for the proper kick backs and lobbying you cant sell herbal supplements.

And marijuana remains a Schedule I drug, a level above cocaine and morphine, illegal to prescribe or even study in most cases. Insane.

Thanks too for the thoughtful post Fryowa, if it helps even one person on this board or a family member you will have done a great service.

Good explanation Fryowa. When I've taken pain pills they've never really had that effect on me, except when I had morphine with a small bowel obstruction, that effect was immediate and powerful. If I could find that drug like you describe I'd prob be in big trouble.

Latest posts