Cordell Pemsl Suspended Indefinitely

A University of Iowa basketball player was taken into custody early this morning and charged with an OWI.

According to police, 22 year-old Cordell Pemsl was stopped at around 2:45am for failing to obey a traffic control device, improper turn, and a cracked taillight showing a white light.

Upon contact, officers say Pemsl had bloodshot watery eyes, impaired speech, impaired balance, was wearing bar wristbands and admitted to drinking.

A PBT showed a blood alcohol content of .151 and a Datamaster reading of .122.

Pemsl was charged with OWI first offense, a serious misdemeanor punishable by a jail sentence of up to one year.

Pemsl is listed as a redshirt junior on the Hawkeye basketball roster page. He only appeared in two games last season due to injury.

LINK

A University of Iowa basketball player was taken into custody early this morning and charged with an OWI.

According to police, 22 year-old Cordell Pemsl was stopped at around 2:45am for failing to obey a traffic control device, improper turn, and a cracked taillight showing a white light.

Upon contact, officers say Pemsl had bloodshot watery eyes, impaired speech, impaired balance, was wearing bar wristbands and admitted to drinking.

A PBT showed a blood alcohol content of .151 and a Datamaster reading of .122.

Pemsl was charged with OWI first offense, a serious misdemeanor punishable by a jail sentence of up to one year.

Pemsl is listed as a redshirt junior on the Hawkeye basketball roster page. He only appeared in two games last season due to injury.

LINK

Indefensible. You could say something about how we're only a handful of weeks away from the season opener, but this isn't about that. How does anyone decide that it's okay to drive drunk, especially someone his size?? I understand when an undergrad girl who weighs 120lbs has a single drink (that she doesn't realize was a heavy pour) and gets arrested for 0.08 when she goes to drive a couple hours later. But for someone who's 6'8 250, he had to be 10+ drinks in to register a BAC of 0.15. No way you can have 10 beers in a night and think "eh, I'm probably okay".

An Uber costs no more than $10 and that's if you don't split it. Only good news here is that no one got hurt and he'll have a great support system to set him straight. I wouldn't want to be Pemsl in Fran's office this morning though.

Indefensible. You could say something about how we're only a handful of weeks away from the season opener, but this isn't about that. How does anyone decide that it's okay to drive drunk, especially someone his size?? I understand when an undergrad girl who weighs 120lbs has a single drink (that she doesn't realize was a heavy pour) and gets arrested for 0.08 when she goes to drive a couple hours later. But for someone who's 6'8 250, he had to be 10+ drinks in to register a BAC of 0.15. No way you can have 10 beers in a night and think "eh, I'm probably okay".

An Uber costs no more than $10 and that's if you don't split it. Only good news here is that no one got hurt and he'll have a great support system to set him straight. I wouldn't want to be Pemsl in Fran's office this morning though.

If Fran chases refs down a hallway, then imagine the anger when one of his players does this. When was the last time a BBall player had an OWI? I wonder how many games he will be suspended for? My guess is less than 4.

The biggest problem is drinking impairs decision making.

I do love how cops always "notice bloodshot watery eyes". It's literally in the arrest report 100% of the time.

The biggest problem is drinking impairs decision making.

True, but the initial decision is made long before you're drunk. And part of why it's indefensible is that they literally beat this into your skull EVERY DAMN YEAR through multiple seminars in the athletics department. You have to sit through 4+ hours of people preaching to you about how you probably shouldn't be drinking if you're a college athlete, but if you do drink, have a plan for how many you're going to have and how to get home even if you're only drinking 1 beer. Then they give you a bunch of contacts for if you've gotten yourself into a bad situation. Knowing that school only started about a month ago, he's no more that 3-4 weeks removed from having sat through that presentation FOR THE 4TH TIME.

So yes, his decision making was impaired, but he should have had alternate plans for getting home ahead of time. That's where he made the bad decision.

Stellar offseason for Iowa hoops....

It seems to just kind of get worse. I am not trying to be a debbie downer and I am still excited for the season because of all the new parts, but I was hoping when we signed Ullis the trend of bad luck for the program was over.

True, but the initial decision is made long before you're drunk. And part of why it's indefensible is that they literally beat this into your skull EVERY DAMN YEAR through multiple seminars in the athletics department. You have to sit through 4+ hours of people preaching to you about how you probably shouldn't be drinking if you're a college athlete, but if you do drink, have a plan for how many you're going to have and how to get home even if you're only drinking 1 beer. Then they give you a bunch of contacts for if you've gotten yourself into a bad situation. Knowing that school only started about a month ago, he's no more that 3-4 weeks removed from having sat through that presentation FOR THE 4TH TIME.

So yes, his decision making was impaired, but he should have had alternate plans for getting home ahead of time. That's where he made the bad decision.

All that is true too. But it is possible to have a plan and then be too stupid and impaired to follow through with it later.