Consequences of the Atwood decision

Not without precedent. Brad Lohaus played freshman and sophomore years then red-shirted his third year.

I think Sapp needs more minutes to get comfortable. But, if Dickerson can have a real impact, it wouldn't hurt for Sapp to red-shirt.

Bob, I'd forgotten about Lohaus. But it is rare. I really could see the logic if Sapp redshirted because I agree with you that PG, more than any other position, requires the player to have timing and rhythm and that comes from minutes played. The PG has to be in tune with the other 4 players synchronization. I don't think Sapp gets that next season.

Not sure if I totally agree with you about Uthoff. To me, the best move he made all year was the up fake and drive to the hoop vs Shannon Scott @OSU. Scott's one of the quicker guards in the B1G. No, Uthoff is not the ideal 3 because of lateral quickness issues, especially on D. With 2 more years of strengthening and alongside a Senior-bodied Woodbury, he could play the 4. However, this year I think Fran wants him primarily at the 3. The recent acquisition of Nic Baer tells me something about that. Without Atwood, Fran needed another forward to play vs White/Uthoff at the forwards in practice along with Uhl.

My honest opinion of last years team is that RDM (and to a degree Woody and JO) was the only player not shy to take a shot. I don't know that I buy Uthoff not having lateral quickness. That could be the case, but I think he does have it. What I did see, was a kid that really needs more strength. I can really plenty of times where, as a defender, he would beat the offensive player to the spot, stopping a drive, but seemed to not have the lower body strength to do it on balance. The offensive player would then go around him. To me, it's all about upper/lower body strength with JU. He is a very natural player; his IQ is good. He also seemed to do a lot of "thinking" last season that that makes you react more slowly and could also be construed as a lack of quickness.

some atwood stuff surfacing:

plaing pickup/scrimmage with the current players, utoff blacked atwood's shot a couple of times, and was owning him on the offensive end. willie wanted a guarantee that he would start at the 3. fran said no promises, you come in and work like everyone else, and we see where you fit.

sendek told him he would be a 3 and start.

so basically, willie didn't want a challenge.

some atwood stuff surfacing:

plaing pickup/scrimmage with the current players, utoff blacked atwood's shot a couple of times, and was owning him on the offensive end. willie wanted a guarantee that he would start at the 3. fran said no promises, you come in and work like everyone else, and we see where you fit.

sendek told him he would be a 3 and start.

so basically, willie didn't want a challenge.

Where was this Uthoff before May?

35 blocks last year

remember his cross-over step back jumper against UT?

I'm not saying he became keith van horn overnight, but I don't doubt that he gave a good but not great juco forward all he could handle.

#youguysaregettingdouchey

LOL. Yeah! He was also owning guys on the offensive end too!

#itsgoodtolaugh

35 shots is quite a few for the minutes he played. I don't think I've ever seen as many 3 point attempts blocked as I saw from him last year. If you want to talk about his offense that's one thing but his shot blocking was great.

35 shots is quite a few for the minutes he played. I don't think I've ever seen as many 3 point attempts blocked as I saw from him last year. If you want to talk about his offense that's one thing but his shot blocking was great.

The real consequence of the Atwood decision is Iowa will probably get a better player. I think Atwood would of helped the team for a couple of years, but there are a lot of good players.

This is from Rick Brown's article in the Des Moines Register today on Andrew Fleming's commitment, Iowa basketball recruiting, etc.

Atwood, who was shopping for a starting position, likely would have come off the bench this season.

Brown seems to be echoing the Iowa staff's line on recruiting.....guys we miss on...they would not start, and guys we sign...we wanted them more than their higher rated recruits ....

Brown seems to be echoing the Iowa staff's line on recruiting.....guys we miss on...they would not start, and guys we sign...we wanted them more than their higher rated recruits ....

I've never heard the coaches say that. This is turning into "the sad Iowa board" where everyone bickers and lies all the time.

I've never heard the coaches say that. This is turning into "the sad Iowa board" where everyone bickers and lies all the time.

Who is feeding Brown the inside info on Atwood( was not a starter quality player) and Toye ( once we landed Hutton, Toye no longer had an offer)? That sounds like inside info from coaches to me.

Who is feeding Brown the inside info on Atwood( was not a starter quality player) and Toye ( once we landed Hutton, Toye no longer had an offer)? That sounds like inside info from coaches to me.

You said that Brown was echoing the "coaches' line on recruiting." The use of the word "line" indicates to me that this is something that the coaches say over and over again...as in "hey! that's my line!"

You should have said - all wishiwashy, because that's what idle speculation is - "Maybe Brown talked to a coach because that sounds like something a coach would say for some reason..."

Don't state pointless speculation as fact. That's what kids do.

I think a lot of posters assume their first choice aligns with the coaching staff's first choice...

I see Dickerson as a guy that can really improve the Iowa team, and Atwood as a guy that could of helped the Iowa team. There is a big difference between the two. Iowa might still find another guy for next year.

Latest posts