Connor McCaffery turning heads

Creighton had about an 8 man rotation last year... so I dunno how well it really worked out. For that to make sense, don't you kinda need 13 guys who are contributing and a 14th that can as well? If your 13th guy doesn't contribute but still eats up a scholly, what's the point??

There's a ton of scenarios where it makes sense.

Transfers are the most obvious one.

Picking up an extra guy doesn't in any way mean he has to play that year or that other players won't be jumped.

Not making any judgment on whether he should or not.

That's not the way to look at it. That scholly pretty much kept Grant Gibbs. He was the odd man out if that didn't happen. Plus lets say it went to a freshman (and it didn't) then how do we know at this point if it wasn't for the best or not for not only last yr (they had a pretty good year) but the future of the program. I assume Gregg would like to coach a few more years...
Rather than blow $30,000 on a year of tuition for his kid, he should have Hoiberg'd someone not pulling their weight.

A few things...first, the lead paragraph:

"The Hawkeye State has never exactly been a hot bed of basketball talent, but recently, with names such as Harrison Barnes, Marcus Paige, and Adam Woodbury receiving national attention while in high school, top talent can be found in Iowa."

Not to mention Doug McDermott..I'd say Iowa has been a basketball hotbed the last five years.

Second...I would assume there are caveats for coaches talking about their sons...but it took me aback seeing a coach directly commenting on an unsigned recruit ;)

Rather than blow $30,000 on a year of tuition for his kid, he should have Hoiberg'd someone not pulling their weight.
http://thegazette.com/2014/03/20/grant-gibbs-keeps-walk-on-doug-mcdermott-fed/

First of all it's 44k a yr at Creighton.... 2nd of all this was because of timing as much as anything. Gibbs was granted a 6th year after the rest of the scholys had been taken. He thought he was done but the NCAA thought Creighton deserved a Jess Settles. I don't know if a coach can yank/cut players just because any time of year. It sounded like if Gibbs was going to be on the team either he had to walk on or some other player did. Whats wrong with a coach that's made millions paying for his kids last year of school? People who make less pay for their kids to go to college. In this case their team had a great year. They'll probably be good next year. Gibbs got to live out his dream of playing college ball one more year on a team that had one of the most prolific scorers in college basketball history. This decision was universally applauded. There were no losers here. If you think Coach McDermott wishes he had that money back your an idiot. I bet he'd pay twice that to be able to do it again. You must be a liberal since you seem to know how others should spend their money better then they do....

A few things...first, the lead paragraph:

"The Hawkeye State has never exactly been a hot bed of basketball talent, but recently, with names such as Harrison Barnes, Marcus Paige, and Adam Woodbury receiving national attention while in high school, top talent can be found in Iowa."

Not to mention Doug McDermott..I'd say Iowa has been a basketball hotbed the last five years.

Second...I would assume there are caveats for coaches talking about their sons...but it took me aback seeing a coach directly commenting on an unsigned recruit ;)
When can he officially commit?

http://thegazette.com/2014/03/20/grant-gibbs-keeps-walk-on-doug-mcdermott-fed/

First of all it's 44k a yr at Creighton.... 2nd of all this was because of timing as much as anything. Gibbs was granted a 6th year after the rest of the scholys had been taken. He thought he was done but the NCAA thought Creighton deserved a Jess Settles. I don't know if a coach can yank/cut players just because any time of year. It sounded like if Gibbs was going to be on the team either he had to walk on or some other player did. Whats wrong with a coach that's made millions paying for his kids last year of school? People who make less pay for their kids to go to college. In this case their team had a great year. They'll probably be good next year. Gibbs got to live out his dream of playing college ball one more year on a team that had one of the most prolific scorers in college basketball history. This decision was universally applauded. There were no losers here. If you think Coach McDermott wishes he had that money back your an idiot. I bet he'd pay twice that to be able to do it again. You must be a liberal since you seem to know how others should spend their money better then they do....

So in one extraordinary situation, the coach's son walked on. Connor will not walk on at Iowa. No other coach's son will either.

I'm too lazy to look, but when and how did this thread all become about if Connor would walk on vs. be scholarship?

I think it is great that Iowa has another high profile BB player. The top end talent out of Iowa has been pretty impressive over the last 5 years: Barnes, McDermott, Paige, Woody, Ogelsby and Uthoff (top 125 kids). Now we have the Myles kid, Pemsl, and Connor coming up through the ranks as well.

I'm too lazy to look, but when and how did this thread all become about if Connor would walk on vs. be scholarship?

I think it is great that Iowa has another high profile BB player. The top end talent out of Iowa has been pretty impressive over the last 5 years: Barnes, McDermott, Paige, Woody, Ogelsby and Uthoff (top 125 kids). Now we have the Myles kid, Pemsl, and Connor coming up through the ranks as well.
Thanks for getting back on topic!

McDermott wasn't really ranked coming out of High School(in Barnes' shadow), but Gesell was. Still, 6 top 150 players in 5 years is kind of meh.

McDermott wasn't really ranked coming out of High School(in Barnes' shadow), but Gesell was. Still, 6 top 150 players in 5 years is kind of meh.

I'm not sure that people outside of the Hawkeye fanbase would have considered Gesell to have been an Iowa high school prospect.

Some of our fanbase claims him as an Iowa guy based on his AAU activities, but that claim is pretty full of dubiosity at best. Not a traveshamocary, but certainly full of dubiosity.

I'm not sure that people outside of the Hawkeye fanbase would have considered Gesell to have been an Iowa high school prospect.

Some of our fanbase claims him as an Iowa guy based on his AAU activities, but that claim is pretty full of dubiosity at best. Not a traveshamocary, but certainly full of dubiosity.

Fair enough. So that makes 5 top 150 players in 5 years. Iowa has .97% of the US population, while they have .66% of the total top basketball recruits. If anything, it looks like we're sandbagging it a bit.

Yeah, Doug McDermott.....

Doug McDermott

Rivals Rating3 stars

POSITIONNATIONALSTATE
no ratingno ratingno rating
Rivals Rating About
DOUGMCDERMOTT6_5150.JPG
View Photo Gallery (1) Add to Favorites

McDermott Named 2014 Naismith Men's College Player of the Year, presented by AT&T

http://www.naismithawards.com/Press...ege-Player-of-the-Year-presented-by-AT-T.aspx

:cool:

Latest posts