Connor McCaffery turning heads

It could be a dicey situation if Fran doesn't get Iowa to the tourney this year. There would be a lot of luster lost after a promising beginning to his regime and getting Uthoff out of Wisconsin
iOWA COULD ACCIDENTALLY MAKE THE ncaa TOURNAMENT THIS YEAR. IF JUST MAKING THE TOURNAMENT IS THE REQUIREMENT, THEN THERE IS NO PROBLEM THERE. tHE BIGGEST FEAR ABOUT fRAN RECRUITING cONNER IS NOT THAT HE'LL PLAY FOR HIS DAD, BUT WILL A BIGGER PROGRAM TRY TO POACH fRAN TO GET cONNOR, LIKE WHAT ucla DID WITH sTEVE AND bRYCE aLFORD.

Agree 100%... there's 13 spots, what team has 13, let alone 14 scholly worthy kids ready for playing time? I get the theory that it will help the program, but really, if he deserves a ship, give him one. I feel that's hardly fair to the player or his dad. He shouldn't feel responsible to pay his kids way, regardless of how much money he makes when there are schools all over the country on equal footing as Iowa that are willing to pay for his son to do so.

I do love how people love to spend other people's money though...

iOWA COULD ACCIDENTALLY MAKE THE ncaa TOURNAMENT THIS YEAR. IF JUST MAKING THE TOURNAMENT IS THE REQUIREMENT, THEN THERE IS NO PROBLEM THERE. tHE BIGGEST FEAR ABOUT fRAN RECRUITING cONNER IS NOT THAT HE'LL PLAY FOR HIS DAD, BUT WILL A BIGGER PROGRAM TRY TO POACH fRAN TO GET cONNOR, LIKE WHAT ucla DID WITH sTEVE AND bRYCE aLFORD.

How do you suppose that? Iowa should have made the tourney comfortably this past season and slid into the play in games. I don't think Iowa can "accidentally" make the NCAA's.

The real question is does he come in as a walk on to save an extra scholorship for someone who actually needs it or lets us cheat and get another good recruit? I hope so. McDermott did that last year right?

I haven't heard of Conner going to any camps, but I imagine he would. He certainly seems serious about his game......

:rolleyes:

I could see Connor, and Cordell Pemsl really helping Iowa get into some of the recruits homes in the future. Pemsl is going to be highly rated before he graduates from high school. Huttons new video is pretty impressive, and both him and the guy from Kentucky look like talented, likeable guys that will be in a lot of camps in the future.

If he is worthy of a scholarship at Iowa when he gets out of high school, I hope they give him one. If I was him, I'd feel a lot better about everything.

The real question is does he come in as a walk on to save an extra scholorship for someone who actually needs it or lets us cheat and get another good recruit? I hope so. McDermott did that last year right?
For the millionth time NO!

If Kirk gave a scholarship to all 7 of his sons, then Fran isn't going to force his to walk on.

For the millionth time NO!

If Kirk gave a scholarship to all 7 of his sons, then Fran isn't going to force his to walk on.

First, it was kind of a joke. Second, to be Frank...or maybe Jim...Kirk and Fran are different people so you never know. Also, an extra scholarship in basketball means a lot more than it does in football. Worked well at Creighton didn't it?

First, it was kind of a joke. Second, to be Frank...or maybe Jim...Kirk and Fran are different people so you never know. Also, an extra scholarship in basketball means a lot more than it does in football. Worked well at Creighton didn't it?
For the million and oneth time NO!

Creighton had about an 8 man rotation last year... so I dunno how well it really worked out. For that to make sense, don't you kinda need 13 guys who are contributing and a 14th that can as well? If your 13th guy doesn't contribute but still eats up a scholly, what's the point??

Creighton had about an 8 man rotation last year... so I dunno how well it really worked out. For that to make sense, don't you kinda need 13 guys who are contributing and a 14th that can as well? If your 13th guy doesn't contribute but still eats up a scholly, what's the point??

What if we only have three scholarships that year and can rope in an extra 4* if he walks on? Why wouldn't you manipulate the system?

And YWinston, are you Fran? What makes you the guy who just straight up knows?

What if we only have three scholarships that year and can rope in an extra 4* if he walks on? Why wouldn't you manipulate the system?

And YWinston, are you Fran? What makes you the guy who just straight up knows?
Because when in the history of rich people with scholarship athletes have you heard of a guy walking on and paying his own way? McDermott and that's it. That was the exception, not the rule. Marcus and Jeff Jordan were scholarship players. Bryce Alford is on scholarship. Even Ron Christenson's kid got a scholarship.

Because when in the history of rich people with scholarship athletes have you heard of a guy walking on and paying his own way? McDermott and that's it. That was the exception, not the rule. Marcus and Jeff Jordan were scholarship players. Bryce Alford is on scholarship. Even Ron Christenson's kid got a scholarship.

Marcus and Jeff Jordan didn't go to a school where their dad was the head coach. If you are going to use examples to try to prove a point, at least use ones that make sense.

If you're trying to rebuild a program and bring in better recuiting classes every year, then this is the perfect time to do this. It would make no sense for a school like Kentucky to do this because they would never need an extra scholarship.

Marcus and Jeff Jordan didn't go to a school where their dad was the head coach. If you are going to use examples to try to prove a point, at least use ones that make sense.
Re-read my post again. Besides McDermott, can you name one other coach's son who refused a scholarship? And L'il Lick doesn't count.

Creighton had about an 8 man rotation last year... I dunno how well it really worked out. For that to make sense, don't you kinda need 13 guys who are contributing and a 14th that can as well? If your 13th guy doesn't contribute but still eats up a scholly, what's the point??

That's not the way to look at it. That scholly pretty much kept Grant Gibbs. He was the odd man out if that didn't happen. Plus lets say it went to a freshman (and it didn't) then how do we know at this point if it wasn't for the best or not for not only last yr (they had a pretty good year) but the future of the program. I assume Gregg would like to coach a few more years...

Latest posts