Connor McCaffery turning heads

But Fran should just pay for that extra too ... cause why not, right?

He sounds like he is going to be a great player by the time he graduates from high school, and he will be deserving of a scholarship. If you look at it from his families perspective, they probably will be pretty proud that their son will have achieved his goals. Why wouldn't a dad want the world to know his son got a scholarship from the University of Iowa. It might seem like a small thing if Fran did it for him, but I doubt it would be the same to him or his family.

Did you notice my wink after the sentence? Apparently not...my point is that I really don't care, white, red, brown, or green...or, in this case, the coaches kid...if they can play ball, then we want them....and besides my reference to "a goofy white kid" came from another thread, that's all....not tryin to be a d*ck SG...

My bad, didn't get your point. Just often see the putdowns of white players here just cause they're white. And I was a goofy white kid myself btw.

Here's a fun hypothetical. Suppose in three years, the program is mired in mediocrity, and only winning like 17-18 games a season (The Peter Jok era). Does Barta have the stones to fire Fran if he has the commit from his son, or do they keep Fran to get Connor.

Walk-ons don't receive all the perks that scholarship players get, correct(academic center, ect.)? He'll be on scholly.

NCAA sanctions coming soon for Fran speaking about a prospect before he is signed. :)

this is what I always hear in football, walk-ons don't have the same perks, training table, etc

I believe the NCAA just changed that...or was that just the "meals and snacks" training table part of it?

There is a possibility that having a 5 Star Sophomore in HS coming to Iowa will turn a few heads toward the Hawks.....

:rolleyes:

There is a possibility that having a 5 Star Sophomore in HS coming to Iowa will turn a few heads toward the Hawks.....

Fran just said that his son would play for him, so If Fran is the coach at Iowa in three years, Iowa has a verbal commitment for that class.

Fran just said that his son would play for him, so If Fran is the coach at Iowa in three years, Iowa has a verbal commitment for that class.

I think it is going to work out fine for Fran, Connor and the Hawks, Tierney.....

I think Fran and family are in for the long haul.....

My bad, didn't get your point. Just often see the putdowns of white players here just cause they're white. And I was a goofy white kid myself btw.

No problem SG....I certainly understand your point though....my choice of words was probably not the best....

Walk-ons don't receive all the perks that scholarship players get, correct(academic center, ect.)? He'll be on scholly.
NCAA sanctions coming soon for Fran speaking about a prospect before he is signed. :)

This is a legit counterargument. Would like to know more about the discrep between what schollers and non-schollers are entitled to--could change my opinion.

I wonder why the NCAA would draw a distinction between the two, though.

Agree 100%... there's 13 spots, what team has 13, let alone 14 scholly worthy kids ready for playing time? I get the theory that it will help the program, but really, if he deserves a ship, give him one. I feel that's hardly fair to the player or his dad. He shouldn't feel responsible to pay his kids way, regardless of how much money he makes when there are schools all over the country on equal footing as Iowa that are willing to pay for his son to do so.

I do love how people love to spend other people's money though...

I was spending my own money, btw.

Hope it works out better than Lick-Lick combo did....

Actually, let the kid pick his own landing spot. If he really wants to go to Iowa, fanastic. If his heart is somewhere else, okay.

Somebody will probably beat up on Coach if he doesn't come here.

I'm interested to see how Connor develops. At this point in his career I've heard a lot about his passing and court awareness. I'm no recruiting expert but I don't believe you become one of the nation's top recruits with just these attributes. I'm sure he can score he just didn't have to do it last year with the talent he had surrounding him. I'm sure we'll see him become much more of a scorer over the next few years. With his height... he seems like he would fit the 2-3 position better than a PG. Not many guys 6'5" play PG and who knows if he continues to grow.

I think it is going to work out fine for Fran, Connor and the Hawks, Tierney.....

I think Fran and family are in for the long haul.....

It could be a dicey situation if Fran doesn't get Iowa to the tourney this year. There would be a lot of luster lost after a promising beginning to his regime and getting Uthoff out of Wisconsin