Connor McCaffery to Play Baseball at Iowa, Open to Walking On for Hoops

Hitting 3/10 in MLB is considered elite. Hitting 4/10 from 3 Pt range in the NBA is considered elite. Each pro sport has their own statistical anomalies.

Being a 63% passer as a QB or running for 4.5 yards per carry as an RB in the NFL also for instance.

In my experience, having played many sports, golf is the most difficult and challenging...the enemy is the mind, the ball doesn't move, there are no teammates to help.

Evidence of this "mind game"...in what other top level sports can a 45-60 year old compete and win vs 20-30 year olds?

Lots of thinking in golf, not a game for perfectionism or excuses. It is a came of recovery, resilience, frustration, humbleness, and at times, enjoyment.

Some of you guys are hilarious still bringing up John L. Anyone who could start for an 11-1 Iowa City High basketball team could play at many D3 teams. Starting is another issue, but play, yes. The situation was very unfortunate.

Anyone know what CM's baseball talent actually is? If he's playing AAU baseball, he doesn't have that much time for baseball. Iowa high school baseball is seriously not very strong. Simply put, not enough games. Also the summer schedule takes away a lot of travel ball.

I've coached 3 high school sports. The hardest to teach of the 3 I coached was soccer, if one wants to do it correctly. You can take a big burly coordinated guy and put a basketball in his hands and struggle big time with timing and speed.

One of the funniest things I've done is take baseball equipment to Eastern Europe. It's hard to get them to stop fielding the ball with their feet. After about 20 minutes of working with a big burly guy on hitting, in a parking lot he hit the ball over 400 feet and through the window of the local pro soccer stadium.

On CM, if he's not doing travel bb, it will be a struggle. He's also been living with privilege in re to basketball. Having coached kids of major college coaches, I see it all the time and it's hard not to let judgment be tainted. At the D1 level he's not going to get that benefit.

Some of you guys are hilarious still bringing up John L. Anyone who could start for an 11-1 Iowa City High basketball team could play at many D3 teams. Starting is another issue, but play, yes. The situation was very unfortunate.

Anyone know what CM's baseball talent actually is? If he's playing AAU baseball, he doesn't have that much time for baseball. Iowa high school baseball is seriously not very strong. Simply put, not enough games. Also the summer schedule takes away a lot of travel ball.

I've coached 3 high school sports. The hardest to teach of the 3 I coached was soccer, if one wants to do it correctly. You can take a big burly coordinated guy and put a basketball in his hands and struggle big time with timing and speed.

One of the funniest things I've done is take baseball equipment to Eastern Europe. It's hard to get them to stop fielding the ball with their feet. After about 20 minutes of working with a big burly guy on hitting, in a parking lot he hit the ball over 400 feet and through the window of the local pro soccer stadium.

On CM, if he's not doing travel bb, it will be a struggle. He's also been living with privilege in re to basketball. Having coached kids of major college coaches, I see it all the time and it's hard not to let judgment be tainted. At the D1 level he's not going to get that benefit.

He was an all-stater this year as a junior - so he's pretty good. I think there was only one or two other juniors on the team. Yes, Iowa players are at a disadvantage by playing high school ball in the summer - but he's going to Iowa so it's not like he needs to play travel ball to be seen by a college coach. Plus, he's good enough to where the pro scouts will find him. I totally disagree that the Iowa high school baseball isn't very strong. I think they are underrated. There are a lot more kids playing college/pro ball now than when I played back in the early 90s. Heck, look at what Heller has done with a bunch of Iowa kids.

He was an all-stater this year as a junior - so he's pretty good. I think there was only one or two other juniors on the team. Yes, Iowa players are at a disadvantage by playing high school ball in the summer - but he's going to Iowa so it's not like he needs to play travel ball to be seen by a college coach. Plus, he's good enough to where the pro scouts will find him. I totally disagree that the Iowa high school baseball isn't very strong. I think they are underrated. There are a lot more kids playing college/pro ball now than when I played back in the early 90s. Heck, look at what Heller has done with a bunch of Iowa kids.

Sorry but Iowa HS baseball is not strong. Iowa HS athletics in basketball and baseball are very limited in the number of games they play. I've coached HS baseball. All State and All Conference selections in baseball are very influenced by name recognition. He is very recognizable. He may or may not be good. Iowa kids are at a big disadvantage in baseball mostly, but also basketball. Some neighboring states get in 2x the amount of baseball and basketball games at the hs level as does Iowa.

Sorry but Iowa HS baseball is not strong. Iowa HS athletics in basketball and baseball are very limited in the number of games they play. I've coached HS baseball. All State and All Conference selections in baseball are very influenced by name recognition. He is very recognizable. He may or may not be good. Iowa kids are at a big disadvantage in baseball mostly, but also basketball. Some neighboring states get in 2x the amount of baseball and basketball games at the hs level as does Iowa.
You must be removed from the game for quite some time. When you factor in spring and fall games - kids who want to play baseball, play plenty. The only disadvantage they have is they can't play 12 months out of the year, but they can play 9 months most years. Even at the younger USSSA level there are teams playing 60+ games per season, which is silly in my opinion.

You must be removed from the game for quite some time. When you factor in spring and fall games - kids who want to play baseball, play plenty. The only disadvantage they have is they can't play 12 months out of the year, but they can play 9 months most years. Even at the younger USSSA level there are teams playing 60+ games per season, which is silly in my opinion.

I keep up with it. Yes, the younger do get to play which helps. The biggest issue is the limitation on High School games.

Iowa is the only major BB program in the state. In the last 2 years they have done well. The B1G is really isn't very good. Aside from Indiana when they had Schwarber, no other actual Big 10 school has made it to Omaha in the last 16 years. Iowa's last 2 year run has been great and I've enjoyed it. It is not indicative of Iowa becoming a baseball breeding ground. It is a combo of new blood at coaching and traditional programs in the conference being down. Hopefully it will continue and improve.

I keep up with it. Yes, the younger do get to play which helps. The biggest issue is the limitation on High School games.

Iowa is the only major BB program in the state. In the last 2 years they have done well. The B1G is really isn't very good. Aside from Indiana when they had Schwarber, no other actual Big 10 school has made it to Omaha in the last 16 years. Iowa's last 2 year run has been great and I've enjoyed it. It is not indicative of Iowa becoming a baseball breeding ground. It is a combo of new blood at coaching and traditional programs in the conference being down. Hopefully it will continue and improve.

Athlete AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SAC BB SO SB SBA HBP OBP SLG AVG
JR - Connor McCaffery 123 42 50 10 4 8 33 2 23 19 8 9 6 0.520 0.748 0.407

Athlete AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SAC BB SO SB SBA HBP OBP SLG AVG
JR - Connor McCaffery 123 42 50 10 4 8 33 2 23 19 8 9 6 0.520 0.748 0.407
HS stats are only as reliable as the competition. See main point. Iowa has weak HS baseball due mostly to lack of games played which is further complicated by lack of summer ball. The Hawks play in a very weak conference. The last 2 years would be similar to Iowa State challenging in the Big 12 in football, but only if the Big 12 were comparable to the MAC.

CM may very well be good. It is my opinion that his stats and ALL STATE designation in Iowa HS Baseball doesn't mean much. It would be like Mid Prairie competing against the Metro Teams in football in comparison to other states. Mid Prairie has had some good football players of the years. But it isn't where recruiters look for talent. They wouldn't win very many games.

HS stats are only as reliable as the competition. See main point. Iowa has weak HS baseball due mostly to lack of games played which is further complicated by lack of summer ball. The Hawks play in a very weak conference. The last 2 years would be similar to Iowa State challenging in the Big 12 in football, but only if the Big 12 were comparable to the MAC.

CM may very well be good. It is my opinion that his stats and ALL STATE designation in Iowa HS Baseball doesn't mean much. It would be like Mid Prairie competing against the Metro Teams in football in comparison to other states. Mid Prairie has had some good football players of the years. But it isn't where recruiters look for talent. They wouldn't win very many games.

But why do you discount him if you have never seen him play. He may or may not be impressive, but you automatically default to he isn't good, why is that? Kid is playing at the 4A level, it isn't like he is playing little league. It would be like you passing on Chad Greenway out of HS, because he played small time 8 man HS football. If you can play, you can play, you can't help where you grew up and the competition you face.

Iowa HS Baseball is well behind the big boys and does lag overall. Yes, you can play lots of games over 9-10 months but coaches want to see the competitive environment through showcase tournaments that generally run right over iowa conference games and state tournament. Would be great for Iowa players if they moved earlier, and actually had more facilities for cold weather, indoor practices.

Latest posts