Connor McCaffery to Play Baseball at Iowa, Open to Walking On for Hoops

Good point. Not sure how high he's need to go to skip college but just being selected could influence what he thinks is his future.

I'm interested to see what kind of feedback he gets from Perfect Game this fall. With Iowa HS baseball in the summer, this might be his best chance to impress scouts before next June's draft.

I don't think he is a MLB draft type of player right now, just from watching and I haven't read anything about him being that type of prospect. Just my opinion of course and things definitely could change as Rob said with another year of physical maturity and some focus this fall. Now give him 3-4 years with a little more coaching and most importantly skill development time you never know. He has a great baseball build IMO.

My guess is that if he plays both sports that after his first or second season he will make a decision to play just one sport and focus on that.

That very well might happen.

On a side note, AJ Epenesa and Tristan Wirfs are planning competing in the throwing events for the Iowa track team.

Maybe they should go to the Madden school to learn how to throw things, Lol. Clip boards, first down markers, helmets, etc. I can still clearly see in my mind images of him getting angry at the officials and picking up a first down marker and slamming it on the ground and breaking it. Lol,

Speaking of slamming things down, does anyone remember the name of the defensive player that got angry and picked up Jim McMahon and slammed him to the terf? Jim was injured on that play and was never the same again after that. What did the league do to that defensive player? Does anyone know?

Maybe they should go to the Madden school to learn how to throw things, Lol. Clip boards, first down markers, helmets, etc. I can still clearly see in my mind images of him getting angry at the officials and picking up a first down marker and slamming it on the ground and breaking it. Lol,

Speaking of slamming things down, does anyone remember the name of the defensive player that got angry and picked up Jim McMahon and slammed him to the terf? Jim was injured on that play and was never the same again after that. What did the league do to that defensive player? Does anyone know?

Charles Martin was his name. He got ejected and a 2 game suspension. Now days he would get a whole lot more. Jokes on him tho because he died awhile back.

That sets things up for another available scholarship(Williams please), assuming he does not get any type of ride from Heller to play ball. If so, That would automatically take a basketball scholarship, if Connor were to play one minute of basketball in the regular season... But we can assume he would walkon to play Hellerball.

Whatever happens, best of luck to Connor!

He won't be getting any or much for baseball is my guess. I believe Division 1 baseball only has like 15 full ride scholarship equivalents (money wise) to hand out for the entire roster. Heller won't be giving much if any money to someone who isn't there half the time if I had a guess.

Not sure what I think about this. On one hand if he's gifted enough to do both that's fantastic for him. On the other hand the offseason is the time when most improvement is made and I don't know if he could put in enough time in the off season if he's playing both sports. Being a multisport star in high school is one thing but there's a reason you don't see to much of it at the D1 level.

He won't be getting any or much for baseball is my guess. I believe Division 1 baseball only has like 15 full ride scholarship equivalents (money wise) to hand out for the entire roster. Heller won't be giving much if any money to someone who isn't there half the time if I had a guess.

Yeah, I am assuming Connor won't take any scholarship except basketball... And only on the years when papa doesn't have a full roster. Anything to make the team better, Connor would do. Kind of like McDermott. Believe he took two years non-scholarship. One for sure, but I thought two.

Some sports involve tandem skill types or body types, Basketball and Baseball are not an instance of that. Basketball kind of stands alone.
Football and baseball, football and track yes. With basketball there's so much more skill involved than these other sports, especially for someone hoping to play the PG position.

Some sports involve tandem skill types or body types, Basketball and Baseball are not an instance of that. Basketball kind of stands alone.
Football and baseball, football and track yes. With basketball there's so much more skill involved than these other sports, especially for someone hoping to play the PG position.

I would say baseball is the toughest individual skill sport. Try hitting a 95mph fast ball. Basketball you can just be a great athlete ala Dennis Rodman ...heck even Reggie Evans. If you are big, strong and can just and grab a basketball off a missed shot you get a chance to play ha ha.

I would say baseball is the toughest individual skill sport. Try hitting a 95mph fast ball. Basketball you can just be a great athlete ala Dennis Rodman ...heck even Reggie Evans. If you are big, strong and can just and grab a basketball off a missed shot you get a chance to play ha ha.

I agree. The best hitters ever failed 70% of the time, and are still considered the greatest because it is that hard to do

Athleticism was not what made Rodman great. Theres countless people who have been more athletic that couldn't even make the nba.

Statistically doing what he did is more rare than the ability to hit a baseball.

Is actually the equivalent of 11.7 scholarships. Generally seems like more is committed to pitching or flat out studs that could go anywhere.

The fact that you can hit 3/10 at bats and be considered elite would make me think otherwise. There's also people to play multiple sports professionally with baseball being one. When has that ever been the case for basketball?

The fact that you can hit 3/10 at bats and be considered elite would make me think otherwise. There's also people to play multiple sports professionally with baseball being one. When has that ever been the case for basketball?

Funny quote from an ESPN article a couple years ago, BP is the MLB equivalent of just shooting uncontested shots in bball :
LeBron has been seen taking batting practice with a major league team, and according to one major league player, "he couldn't even get it out of the cage."

Good point. Not sure how high he's need to go to skip college but just being selected could influence what he thinks is his future.

I'm interested to see what kind of feedback he gets from Perfect Game this fall. With Iowa HS baseball in the summer, this might be his best chance to impress scouts before next June's draft.

Correct. This will be a huge fall for him.

Hitting 3/10 in MLB is considered elite. Hitting 4/10 from 3 Pt range in the NBA is considered elite. Each pro sport has their own statistical anomalies.

Latest posts