Connor McCaffery to Play Baseball at Iowa, Open to Walking On for Hoops

I'm happy for him chasing his dream, but not sure how that will impact his basketball career at iowa.

I don't think anybody knows how or if it will impact his hoops career at Iowa, including Connor and Fran. And there's a long while until he arrives at Iowa so things could still change. I find it a pretty interesting story.

If he does play baseball at Iowa, I can see him walking on in basketball. The article seemed like speculation. He said he wanted to be involved with the baseball team, but wasn't sure how. If he isn't going to split his time around to different things, I think he deserves a basketball scholarship.

Wasn't there a coach at Iowa not to long ago who's son played for iowa, and this board ripped both to death?

So you are comparing Lil Lick to a top 100/150 recruit in the nation? That is like saying a turd shaped like a chocolate tastes the same as a chocolate.

I think he might be saying the only reason people ripped on Lick is because his son was a walkon here.

Is this a way to save a schollie?
Do the seasons interfere?
Will he focus on baseball if the seasons overlap?

This is an interesting development.

If he does play baseball at Iowa, I can see him walking on in basketball. The article seemed like speculation. He said he wanted to be involved with the baseball team, but wasn't sure how. If he isn't going to split his time around to different things, I think he deserves a basketball scholarship.

I think the plan will be a work in progress that's why what he is saying comes off as speculation. As of now, basketball will take precedence at Iowa but he will also play baseball when he can work around basketball schedule.

I don't know either teams off-season schedule inside and out but I think he'll be able to play some fall baseball while still training for basketball. Once basketball season starts, he'll try to find times to get in the batting cage. He'll continue that until baseball starts in February. Maybe he can make some baseball workouts then but more likely he'll train for that sport when he can until basketball season ends. Then, he'll join the baseball team and work around that schedule to participate in individual workouts with the basketball coaches.

That's just me spit-balling an outline based on what I know. It's a lot to handle, to say the least.

Good article Rob. Connor seems like a very hard working kid with a crazy schedule who keeps up with grades also. Very good head on his shoulders from what it seems. I love the fact he is continuing his baseball career especially through high school. Too many kids quitting summer baseball for the AAU circuit. Your only a kid once play everything you love. This also keeps his options open just in case baseball works better in the long run for him also. He is a pretty nice LH hitter, good arm and speed in the OF. Considering his practice time in baseball is limited I could see him continuing to get much better on the ball field.

Good article Rob. Connor seems like a very hard working kid with a crazy schedule who keeps up with grades also. Very good head on his shoulders from what it seems. I love the fact he is continuing his baseball career especially through high school. Too many kids quitting summer baseball for the AAU circuit. Your only a kid once play everything you love. This also keeps his options open just in case baseball works better in the long run for him also. He is a pretty nice LH hitter, good arm and speed in the OF. Considering his practice time in baseball is limited I could see him continuing to get much better on the ball field.

Thanks for reading. Like he told me, I think he wonders of baseball is his best sport or has the potential to be. I could tell he's thought a lot about what he might be able to do of he added the 25 "good" pounds he talks about.

Thanks for reading. Like he told me, I think he wonders of baseball is his best sport or has the potential to be. I could tell he's thought a lot about what he might be able to do of he added the 25 "good" pounds he talks about.

Many times, IMO, baseball actually has more opportunities for the next level when you consider roster sizes and multiple positions. Just takes a few years to fine tune your skills.

Don't forget, he very well could end up being drafted by an MLB team next summer which could have an even bigger effect.

Don't forget, he very well could end up being drafted by an MLB team next summer which could have an even bigger effect.

Good point. Not sure how high he's need to go to skip college but just being selected could influence what he thinks is his future.

I'm interested to see what kind of feedback he gets from Perfect Game this fall. With Iowa HS baseball in the summer, this might be his best chance to impress scouts before next June's draft.

Latest posts