Connor McCaffery Thinks Hawkeyes Could Use a Point Guard

They got to play the Fighting Sister Jeans in the semis. Loyola was a nice story and they were a good team but you'd still have to say Michigan was fortunate they played them and not some top 5 seeded team.

Last edited:
That's pretty frickin lucky if you ask me.

Yes yes a strong argument could be made that playing Loyola was a lucky break.

However there was certainly enough reasonable doubt at the time. Loyola was playing out of their minds and it certainly didn't have to end against Michigan. Loyola had already knocked out opponents out of their weight class. Miami, Tennessee, Nevada and K State sure didn't feel lucky for playing Loyola.

There is no easy road to a national championship. I don't care if you face six consecutive double-digit seeds. Just to get to the final four you have to beat a team that has won at least three in a row in tournament conditions. To win it all you have to beat a team on a five game heater. Neither are easy tasks in tournament conditions. We saw Loyola play out of their mind for an extended stretch. Or perhaps their defensive metrics suggested they should have been seeded much higher than they were. We saw two number one seeds not make it out of the first weekend. And at least one two seed.

If there is one place where you are not what your record says you are it's the NCAA tournament. If a double digit seed makes the Final Four tell me that team is playing like a double digit seed. Not even close. Especially if the double digit seed has strong guard play and plays good defense.

There is no easy road to a national championship. I don't care if you face six consecutive double-digit seeds. Just to get to the final four you have to beat a team that has won at least three in a row in tournament conditions. To win it all you have to beat a team on a five game heater. Neither are easy tasks in tournament conditions. We saw Loyola play out of their mind for an extended stretch. Or perhaps their defensive metrics suggested they should have been seeded much higher than they were. We saw two number one seeds not make it out of the first weekend. And at least one two seed.

I used to tell my BF [a KU] fan, the 1 seed gets a gimme first round, then there are 5 tough games following, But after last year...

I used to tell my BF [a KU] fan, the 1 seed gets a gimme first round, then there are 5 tough games following, But after last year...

Yes I wonder if that trend will continue. It could be that no team is safe now. The 16 seeds seem to have been getting better over the last few years. I havent looked up the scores but I thought a 16 had a close game with a 1 the season prior as well.

Yes I wonder if that trend will continue. It could be that no team is safe now. The 16 seeds seem to have been getting better over the last few years. I havent looked up the scores but I thought a 16 had a close game with a 1 the season prior as well.

I would like to see the NCAA include more talented Mid-majors [doesn't help our cause] instead of power conf teams that finished below .500. I recall 2 or 3 years ago when they excluded Monmouth. For years all they kept saying was play the big boys, beat somebody! Monmouth did just that: beat Notre Dame and 4 or 5 power conf teams... and the committee left them out! Really burned my buns.

Again, "easy" is relatively speaking.