Connor McCaffery Thinks Hawkeyes Could Use a Point Guard

A team without a dribble drive dimension is not consistently going to get open looks looks consistently. This team will be feast or famine.

The key will be for Conner to be able to stop quick point guards and create his own shot.

Wieskamp will create shots off the dribble.

How does that matter?

This paragraph from the NY Times should be helpful:
"He's the quarterback, he's the most valuable, and he's the biggest difference maker to a team."
Is the point guard position the most important position on a basketball team? If we use Stephen Curry, you have to take in to consideration the Warriors first year head coach, and former NBA Champion, Steve Kerr. This team is different with him at the helm, as opposed to Mark Jackson. Yes, Draymond Green has come into his own as one of the best defensive players in the game, and is a stretch 4 who can move. Add in All-Star guard Klay Thompson, one of the best defensive rim protectors in Andrew Bogut, an underrated forward in Harrison Barnes, and a strong bench consisting of Leandro Barbosa, Andre Iguodala, Moe Speights, and Shaun Livingston and you end up with a 1 seed overall in the NBA Playoffs this year. The Warriors won 67 games this year. If you remove Steph from the equation, they win 51.3 which still puts them in the playoffs as a competitive team in the Western Conference. Stephen Curry is a superstar, he's a highlight reel, the best shooter this game maybe has ever seen, and the most exciting player to watch in the NBA, but is he the most valuable player?

From another:
3. Combo guards are best suited off the bench

How many combos have had career-years as sixth men lately? Bobby Jackson won the award in 2002, Ben Gordon in 04’, Barbosa in 06’, Jason Terry in 08’, Jamal Crawford in 2010 and James Harden in 2012.

Lou Williams shot 40% from the floor, and despite averaging 15 points a game, coach Doug Collins only played him 26 minutes per contest. Collins maximized Williams’ scoring prowess while limiting the damage of a 40% shooter. Lou was a Sixth Man of the Year Candidate and a major reason for Philadelphia's success as a spark off the bench despite playing reserve minutes.

Combo guards are becoming more prevalent in the game today. In 2011 we saw Kemba Walker, Jimmer Fredette, Alec Burks, Iman Shumpert, Nolan Smith, Malcolm Lee, Charles Jenkins and Josh Selby all get drafted.

The combo guard is vulnerable to inefficient and inconsistent production. Their style can be heavily rewarding or "punch-in-the-gut" devastating if given too much freedom. For the most part, they can be effective in complimentary or supporting roles. But to count on one to lead your team through a best of seven war is asking for trouble.

Iowa has a number of Combo Guards. A bunch of guys who are valuable and should be coming off the bench or maybe the 2 or 3 with a good pt guard.

If you want to be mediocre in the worst Power Conference... knock yourself out.
MAWl2LG.gif

"He's the quarterback, he's the most valuable, and he's the biggest difference maker to a team."
Is the point guard position the most important position on a basketball team? If we use Stephen Curry, you have to take in to consideration the Warriors first year head coach, and former NBA Champion, Steve Kerr. This team is different with him at the helm, as opposed to Mark Jackson. Yes, Draymond Green has come into his own as one of the best defensive players in the game, and is a stretch 4 who can move. Add in All-Star guard Klay Thompson, one of the best defensive rim protectors in Andrew Bogut, an underrated forward in Harrison Barnes, and a strong bench consisting of Leandro Barbosa, Andre Iguodala, Moe Speights, and Shaun Livingston and you end up with a 1 seed overall in the NBA Playoffs this year. The Warriors won 67 games this year. If you remove Steph from the equation, they win 51.3 which still puts them in the playoffs as a competitive team in the Western Conference. Stephen Curry is a superstar, he's a highlight reel, the best shooter this game maybe has ever seen, and the most exciting player to watch in the NBA, but is he the most valuable player?

From another:

How many combos have had career-years as sixth men lately? Bobby Jackson won the award in 2002, Ben Gordon in 04’, Barbosa in 06’, Jason Terry in 08’, Jamal Crawford in 2010 and James Harden in 2012.

Lou Williams shot 40% from the floor, and despite averaging 15 points a game, coach Doug Collins only played him 26 minutes per contest. Collins maximized Williams’ scoring prowess while limiting the damage of a 40% shooter. Lou was a Sixth Man of the Year Candidate and a major reason for Philadelphia's success as a spark off the bench despite playing reserve minutes.

Combo guards are becoming more prevalent in the game today. In 2011 we saw Kemba Walker, Jimmer Fredette, Alec Burks, Iman Shumpert, Nolan Smith, Malcolm Lee, Charles Jenkins and Josh Selby all get drafted.

The combo guard is vulnerable to inefficient and inconsistent production. Their style can be heavily rewarding or "punch-in-the-gut" devastating if given too much freedom. For the most part, they can be effective in complimentary or supporting roles. But to count on one to lead your team through a best of seven war is asking for trouble.

Iowa has a number of Combo Guards. A bunch of guys who are valuable and should be coming off the bench or maybe the 2 or 3 with a good pt guard.

MAWl2LG.gif

You believe the B1G is the worst major basketball conference?

From another:

MAWl2LG.gif

So would you have traded MJ for a traditional point guard? I agree you are better off having a guy who can get to the rim. But it makes no sense at all to me that it matters what position it comes from.

I can think of only one instance where a division one player had a father who was a division one coach and he didn't play for him. Marc Raveling played for Rudy Washington at Drake while his father George was at USC.

Can anyone recall any other examples?

Connor wants to win and he isn't stupid. He's in an unfortunate situation.

i do get the impression connor is being honest about the whole thing. but, i also think connor knows his best path to pro ball is baseball. connor may not last all 4 seasons in hoops. if his baseball career takes off, he'd be foolish to not focus on that.

In what way is Connor’s current situation unfortunate?
When did Iowa last make a serious NCAA run?

What are the chances of us doing it anytime soon?

If Connor wants to win history tells us it won't be here in terms of a conference title or long ncaa run.

He knows what we need and what our chances are of getting it.

Last edited:
Ummm yes. At least as weak as any of them excepting the Pac maybe. The SEC has passed the Big. Pretty much agree here with 5-7 being all pretty close.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...lege-basketball-conferences-in-2017-18#slide5
http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/conferencerpi

Lol the SEC has certainly not passed the B1G in my opinion. Neither has the big 12, or PAC, or Big East. I know the media hype is the SEC is so great. Hmmm I wonder who stands to benefit from that narrative. I guess that sure was a fun championship last year with those 2 SEC teams playing....oh wait did anyone from the SEC make it to the championship???? Nope, sure didn't. That super weak conference was there though. Odd how that works aye.

Lol the SEC has certainly not passed the B1G in my opinion. Neither has the big 12, or PAC, or Big East. I know the media hype is the SEC is so great. Hmmm I wonder who stands to benefit from that narrative. I guess that sure was a fun championship last year with those 2 SEC teams playing....oh wait did anyone from the SEC make it to the championship???? Nope, sure didn't. That super weak conference was there though. Odd how that works aye.

I'm a huge Beiliein fan but they had a lucky and easy road. The Big hasn't been a real power in some time if you look at it realistically in my opinion.

When did Iowa last make a serious NCAA run?

What are the chances of us doing it anytime soon?

If Connor wants to win history tells us it won't be here in terms of a conference title or long ncaa run.

He knows what we need and what our chances are of getting it.
In my opinion Connor was not a good enough basketball player to get recruited by schools that make deep NCAA tournament runs. He certainly wasn’t good enough to play for those schools if he was going to play baseball too.

I would make the argument that he’s very fortunate to be at Iowa as we are probably the only power 5 school who would probably let him play both sports and count against scholarships for both. We shall see maybe he’s a better basketball player than I’m giving him credit for.

I'm a huge Beiliein fan but they had a lucky and easy road. The Big hasn't been a real power in some time if you look at it realistically in my opinion.
Top to bottom the BIG isn't what it once was. Players from the talent rich big cities in the Midwest have been emigrating for some time.

But there's still plenty of Star power at the top of the league. Since 2002 six different teams have played in the championship game and half of those teams boast multiple final fours. And that doesn't include Maryland, who was not a member of the conference when they won their own national championship.

The next ten years will be interesting to see if the BIG retains it's top level Star power. Ryan and Matta have retired, Izzo and Beilein can't coach forever. Will a new wave of hot young coaches flood the conference and continue to make the BIG a consistent presence in the final four. We will have to stay tuned.

In my opinion Connor was not a good enough basketball player to get recruited by schools that make deep NCAA tournament runs. He certainly wasn’t good enough to play for those schools if he was going to play baseball too.

I would make the argument that he’s very fortunate to be at Iowa as we are probably the only power 5 school who would probably let him play both sports and count against scholarships for both. We shall see maybe he’s a better basketball player than I’m giving him credit for.
Before it's all said and done I think Connor will prove to be the very type of cerebral basketball savvy player that virtually every school that makes a deep tournament run has on the roster. Maybe not the superstar, but an important member of the supporting cast. I'm not suggesting, however, that it would or will necessarily happen at Iowa.

The wildcard, like you mentioned, is baseball. Which is another reason why I think Fran needs to land a '19 point guard. That fact that Fran appears to still be looking after missing on Carton seems to be proof that Fran is keeping options open for any possible scenario.

Last edited:

The guy definitely has a lot of confidence, but it won't mean much if he plays two sports. Its hard to believe he is that good. Just because there are a couple of point guards they say they are looking at for 2019 doesn't mean they are that serious about it.

The guy definitely has a lot of confidence, but it won't mean much if he plays two sports. Its hard to believe he is that good. Just because there are a couple of point guards they say they are looking at for 2019 doesn't mean they are that serious about it.
Matt Bain did an article the other day basically confirming what I've been saying for months.

1. Fran wasn't necessarily looking at DJ for the PG position.
2. Fran wasn't that concerned about landing a PG in the '19 class.
3. Fran will fill the PG slot with a '20 recruit.