Connor McCaffery Shines for Iowa

Again, I get the assists. He gets bunches. He is not consistent on the boards. His shot...

Getting 30 mins a game I agree with. How do you not get I support that. I do believe a coach' son with that bad a shot is a waste and sad. If he could just shoot average the Hawks would be tops.

I would guess his misses have the lowest O Rebounds as a percentage than anyone on the team.
Good lord. Did Henry Aaron's home runs count for less just because most of them barely cleared the fence. What about Stan Musial's batting stance?
Surely that had to drive a fundamentalist purist like yourself crazy..

Did Billy Kilmer's completions count for less because his throwing mechanics were so poor?

Did David Lee Roth's embarrassing vocals impede Van Halen's career? Rebel Wilson's weight? Mel Tillis' stuttering? Robin Williams being ADHD?

I can see that you support other aspects of his game, and agree that he's not a point guard in the traditional sense. But it's not as unusual as you might think for someone other than a point guard to lead his teams in assists (Larry Bird, Jordan)

But you won't let up on your relentless attacks on his shot, than double down by saying he get more than his share of gimmes, if he only shot average Hawks could be tops, etc. If they go in, and go in at critical times, why be such a killjoy?

Josh Ogelsby had as pure a shot as you could coach. Release, extension, rotation, fundamentals, and he couldn't hit a big one to save his life.

If his shot is a waste and sad, then perhaps others on the team who are less than 36.7% should be so wasted and sad. You want him to shoot average. On this team 36.7% from deep isn't average. It's well above it.

Last edited:
Good lord. Did Henry Aaron's home runs count for less just because most of them barely cleared the fence. What about Stan Musial's batting stance?
Surely that had to drive a fundamentalist purist like yourself crazy..

Did Billy Kilmer's completions count for less because his throwing mechanics were so poor?

Did David Lee Roth's embarrassing vocals impede Van Halen's career? Rebel Wilson's weight? Mel Tillis' stuttering? Robin Williams being ADHD?

Josh Ogelsby had as pure a shot as you could coach. Release, extension, rotation, fundamentals, and he couldn't hit a big one to save his life.

If his shot is a waste and sad, then perhaps others on the team who are less than 36.7% should be so wasted and sad. You want him to shoot average. On this team 36.7% from deep isn't average. It's well above it.

At least there is some life left in this bored board.

Ok...Go to a paint ball ground. Have a special rule where you can stand in the open and shoot at the other team but they can't shoot you. Bet you can shoot better doing that compared to the next game when you are back to being a target.

I'm glad he can now hit the broad side of a barn. Some teams might actually care a bit. He shot is so awkward he likely leads the team in having the most misses not offensively rebounded.

His assist to turnover ratio is astronomical. He does have a gift. But he is not pressured to he gets in cleaner passes and unless he dribbles off his foot he doesn't turn the ball over much. Then again, does he dribble?

At least there is some life left in this bored board.

Ok...Go to a paint ball ground. Have a special rule where you can stand in the open and shoot at the other team but they can't shoot you. Bet you can shoot better doing that compared to the next game when you are back to being a target.

I'm glad he can now hit the broad side of a barn. Some teams might actually care a bit. He shot is so awkward he likely leads the team in having the most misses not offensively rebounded.

His assist to turnover ratio is astronomical. He does have a gift. But he is not pressured to he gets in cleaner passes and unless he dribbles off his foot he doesn't turn the ball over much. Then again, does he dribble?
Other than his "gimmie" 3s, he's not a good shooter? Which 3s are ever gimmies? He also leads the team in "guy who throws up a 3 at the end of the shot clock" 3s. Take away those and he'd probably be over 40%.

It seriously sounds like you quit watching Iowa basketball about halfway through last year because everything you are saying about his shot was accurate a year and a month ago. Since then, he's been a pretty damn reliable shooter.

As far as rebounding hos shot goes, how could you possibly be more wrong? A good shot shot miss goes to the defense in position for a rebound. A flat clank shot shoots off the rim and gives the offense a better chance to grab it. Kris Murray takes the stat of fewest offensive rebounds off his missed 3s. Because when he misses, it's mostly an airball for some weird reason. He's gotta have the highest percentage of airball 3s of any good shooter in the history of basketball.

Other than his "gimmie" 3s, he's not a good shooter? Which 3s are ever gimmies? He also leads the team in "guy who throws up a 3 at the end of the shot clock" 3s. Take away those and he'd probably be over 40%.

It seriously sounds like you quit watching Iowa basketball about halfway through last year because everything you are saying about his shot was accurate a year and a month ago. Since then, he's been a pretty damn reliable shooter.

As far as rebounding hos shot goes, how could you possibly be more wrong? A good shot shot miss goes to the defense in position for a rebound. A flat clank shot shoots off the rim and gives the offense a better chance to grab it. Kris Murray takes the stat of fewest offensive rebounds off his missed 3s. Because when he misses, it's mostly an airball for some weird reason. He's gotta have the highest percentage of airball 3s of any good shooter in the history of basketball.
Noi, Im a coach. I break things down. I've not saying he shouldn't be top 3 in minutes. Aa a coach I will never understand his shooting form. Two issues with that. His dad should have taught him. His coach should have taught him. Finally at 24 its not as brutal, it's not good. He cannot consistently rise up and shoot over someone defending him.

You guys let someone cream Sandfort on here and get all worked up over pointing out the guy is not a good shooter and back off him. Thankfully he at least makes Defenses at least think about him....finally.

Learn the game

I think an NBA team should draft CMac and tell him to get on the floor and set up all his team’s spectacular shooters. Then let him explain the game of basketball to the rest of the team. Just say’in.

I think an NBA team should draft CMac and tell him to get on the floor and set up all his team’s spectacular shooters. Then let him explain the game of basketball to the rest of the team. Just say’in.
He'd get destroyed at the other end of the floor. And if those guys don't listen to their coaches there's no way they're listening to Mac.

And I know you're partially kidding anyway. His future is coaching.

Noi, Im a coach. I break things down. I've not saying he shouldn't be top 3 in minutes. Aa a coach I will never understand his shooting form. Two issues with that. His dad should have taught him. His coach should have taught him. Finally at 24 its not as brutal, it's not good. He cannot consistently rise up and shoot over someone defending him.

You guys let someone cream Sandfort on here and get all worked up over pointing out the guy is not a good shooter and back off him. Thankfully he at least makes Defenses at least think about him....finally.

Learn the game
He's a good enough shooter to lead his team in three point FG%. And he knows he cant take people off the dribble and rise up and shoot over them, so he doesn't attempt what he can't do.

He's not your type of shooter and that's not going to change. Sandfort is your type of shooter and that's not going to change. I like shooters who can put the ball in the bucket, and right now Connor does it with more consistency.

Learn the game
When Fry was ripping on Sandfort, his 3 point shooting was at least as bad as Connor's at his worst. At least Fry isn't still talking shit after Sanfort broke out of his slump. A lot of people still ripped on Fry anyway. If he was still trying to say Sandort sucks at shooting it would look very similar to everyone's reaction towards you now.

As far as Fran not teaching his sons better form goes. I doubt a D1 coach has a lot of free time to he a hands on coach. Saying a guy can't shoot now because his dad didn't teach him proper form as a kid is a weird take.

Speaking of bad form. Austin Ash has one of the ugliest shots I've ever seen and he could very well be a top 5 accurate shooter in all of college.

When Fry was ripping on Sandfort, his 3 point shooting was at least as bad as Connor's at his worst. At least Fry isn't still talking shit after Sanfort broke out of his slump. A lot of people still ripped on Fry anyway. If he was still trying to say Sandort sucks at shooting it would look very similar to everyone's reaction towards you now.

As far as Fran not teaching his sons better form goes. I doubt a D1 coach has a lot of free time to he a hands on coach. Saying a guy can't shoot now because his dad didn't teach him proper form as a kid is a weird take.
Then he should have been a more involved dad then. Do you know how long it takes to teach shooting form? Not very darn much. Watch and see how covered up he is when he passes and shoots. It's pretty amazing. I wonder if Fran watched recruiting tapes...

Then he should have been a more involved dad then. Do you know how long it takes to teach shooting form? Not very darn much. Watch and see how covered up he is when he passes and shoots. It's pretty amazing. I wonder if Fran watched recruiting tapes...
If Fran was a more involved dad, Connor could have a different form, shoot the exact same percentage (best on the team) and be considered a good shooter by you.

Speaking of bad form. Austin Ash has one of the ugliest shots I've ever seen and he could very well be a top 5 accurate shooter in all of college.
Jalen Rose, Jamaal Wilkes, Lafeseter Rhodes, Derek Harper, Tim Hardaway Sr. That's five examples right there. Heck, Kevin Gamble drifted to his left on many shots. Andrew Toney's feet were never set, which is one reason he was so difficult to defend. Michael Adams, Fat Lever. Norm Nixon fell off to his left almost every time he shot.

Rose and Rhodes in particular had forms more suited for shot put than basketball. It looked like they threw the ball toward the hoop and the basket got in the way.

I'll bet you are. You claim to have done just about everything else.
No, not that. I have been a busy guy though. Career track in education and industry (ag on both) and have done a lot of traveling. I've had an interesting life with a lot of twists and turns. 6 kids, long term marriage. I've been pushed by Imelda Marcos, had a run in with the Russia mafia, had one on one lunch with Wayne Laravee, had an Illini BB asst Coach by my assistant coach, Lou Doo attended my BB camp for several sessions (his grand kid was playing) been on a high speed chase, went after an Iowa Deputy Sheriff for rights violations, been mugged at the Vegas M and M store, camped at Grand Canyon in Dec, had my knee repaired by the Bulls surgeon, lived next to the guy who lost 2 games in the 87 WS (I think he lost 2) barrel raced horses as a kid and been is more fights as a kid than I could possibly count. Have one of my books in hundreds of libraries around the world from Europe, China to Australia. And my fav teacher has been on unsolved mysteries. Lived in all but 1 states surrounding Iowa.... Badgerland. Negotiated and managed multi million dollar farm drainage projects, told a Bank President boss where to go... and made a London billionaire angry. Kind of reminds me of Fry.

I think that about covers it. Oh, and I know a fundamentally poorly coached basketball player when I see one.....shooting and rebounding/blocking out.

Oh, had to run from an attempted robber in Kyiv. That and went to unrest protests between Nationalists, Communists, Pro Russia, Nazi, and Our Ukraine demonstrators. Was absolutely amazing. And got a few pics.

I also can spot smartassed closet Badgers.... :rolleyes: and dated Mariah Carey's cousin. Looked a lot like her.

Last edited:
Chuck Long had as ugly a throwing motion as you could imagine and at the college level at least it worked pretty well for him.
Long did have arm strength and a smooth motion. The first pass he through as Hawk told me he was going to be pretty good in the Rose Bowl. Still preferred Vlasic.