Connor McCaffery Shines for Iowa

What an amazing performance and what a career arc CM has had at Iowa. I don't think there was a soul on this board that did not question whether CM belonged on the Iowa MBB team his first couple years on campus, and there were more than a few calls for him to play baseball year round.

During the Garza years he turned into one of the best post feeders I have ever seen in college ball, but other than getting Garza the ball and being a heady player, he did not bring much else to the table, especially shooting wise.

Last year he became the swiss army knife off the bench, but still was a liability on offense.

This year, wow, at age 24, he has finally become a pretty complete player. His three-point shot is just good enough that you have to guard him, he can take it to the hoop, and his passing is magician like at times. He is doing this all while filling his younger brother's starting role while PM dealt with personal issues.

Could not be happier for CM. He will be remembered well as a Hawk. Let's hope Iowa can make some noise in the tourney to cement his legacy.

Droppin dimes was Connor. He was just on and it's nice when that is appreciated in the game. He's just an anchor for a team and he was havin' fun!

Agreed. A lot of what he does, does not show up in the stat book as far as court leadership and etc. I do think he has at least developed a bit more of an offensive game (as mentioned). I've seen several players step up from Perkins, Sandfort, to even CMac.

This team could be dangerous if we can put it all together. Hopefully it will be fun to watch.

I think the biggest strike against him early on was that the stats simply weren't there. As his career progressed it became apparent that while he didn't stuff the stat sheet, he was the guy that did everything else and not only did the leadership emerge, but it also became clear how valuable he really was.

I'll admit that I was a doubter at first, but can honestly say I appreciate him more and more every minute he's on the court and while definitely not a NBA caliber player he's a guy that I will miss just as much he's gone.

I think the biggest strike against him early on was that the stats simply weren't there. As his career progressed it became apparent that while he didn't stuff the stat sheet, he was the guy that did everything else and not only did the leadership emerge, but it also became clear how valuable he really was.

I'll admit that I was a doubter at first, but can honestly say I appreciate him more and more every minute he's on the court and while definitely not a NBA caliber player he's a guy that I will miss just as much he's gone.
Well stated.

Guys used to back off him a bit and let him shoot. They can't do that anymore because he will hit it. Also, his assist to TO margin can't be overlooked. He #1 in the country I believe. So valuable.

I loved that while we had 5 (almost 6) double digit scorers, and two guys who hit 20, and Perk playing a mad game last night, the announcers were giving love to CM. It is nice to have announcers who used to play and can appreciate that the best player on the floor last night only scored 7 points.

I've been on the Conner train since the start, dudes a freak, and while I will admit that I rarely wanted him to shoot, I've always knew what he brought to the table. A coach on the court, someone to do the dirty work and a guy who just has a knack for getting people in the right position because of his knowledge of the game. I think Patrick will have a monster last 2 seasons at Iowa - it takes guys a little while to adjust and we should all know what a developer Fran is at this point.

Don't forget he was trying to play baseball for the first 3-4 years of his career and I think the limited his progress in basketball. Add to that he was injured quite a bit, I especially remember both hips being a problem. He played through all of that. That definitely affected his shooting and probably his overall mobility as well. This year he has put it all together and is having a stellar year. I'm happy for him and it is really helping the team.

Well stated.

Guys used to back off him a bit and let him shoot. They can't do that anymore because he will hit it. Also, his assist to TO margin can't be overlooked. He #1 in the country I believe. So valuable.
I'd take that chance to double on Murray.

Don't forget he was trying to play baseball for the first 3-4 years of his career and I think the limited his progress in basketball. Add to that he was injured quite a bit, I especially remember both hips being a problem. He played through all of that. That definitely affected his shooting and probably his overall mobility as well. This year he has put it all together and is having a stellar year. I'm happy for him and it is really helping the team.
And academic all BIG for 4 seasons!

I'd take that chance to double on Murray.
I'm calling bullshit on this once and for all. Connor's 36.7% on three point attempts is best of anyone in Iowa’s top eight rotation, including Kris.

But you've never warmed to Connor because he's got an awkward shot, and you've given him penalty minutes for being a coach's kid with an awkward shot. The bastards count the same when they go in regardless of how they were shot.

You refuse to see Connor through anything but your own lens and I've never seen a poster so stubborn to convert. Given the fact that he leads the regulars in percentage, and is fearless to take them in clutch situations, maybe they should be doubling him instead of Kris. We won't even get into his post feeds, his understanding of how to pass someone open, his assists that lead to JBo vs Northwestern. Wieskamp vs Rutgers, and Keegan for the dagger vs Purdue for the title, his free throw shooting, his understanding of the game, I could go on and on.

I've been on the Conner train since the start, dudes a freak, and while I will admit that I rarely wanted him to shoot, I've always knew what he brought to the table. A coach on the court, someone to do the dirty work and a guy who just has a knack for getting people in the right position because of his knowledge of the game. I think Patrick will have a monster last 2 seasons at Iowa - it takes guys a little while to adjust and we should all know what a developer Fran is at this point.

Connor is a master of psychological warfare, always in the heads of the opponents

Always giving a little push, at just the right moment to throw a shooter off his shot

He infuriates the opponents with his comments

He will be missed

Last edited:
I can't remember ever seeing a 13 assist 0 TO game. By anyone let alone a Hawk that's nuts. He probably coulda had a few more assists too but guys missed shots. You factor in his D and rebounding and that's up there as an all time epic performance by a Hawk. Hats off to the guy.

I'm calling bullshit on this once and for all. Connor's 36.7% on three point attempts is best of anyone in Iowa’s top eight rotation, including Kris.

But you've never warmed to Connor because he's got an awkward shot, and you've given him penalty minutes for being a coach's kid with an awkward shot. The bastards count the same when they go in regardless of how they were shot.

You refuse to see Connor through anything but your own lens and I've never seen a poster so stubborn to convert. Given the fact that he leads the regulars in percentage, and is fearless to take them in clutch situations, maybe they should be doubling him instead of Kris. We won't even get into his post feeds, his understanding of how to pass someone open, his assists that lead to JBo vs Northwestern. Wieskamp vs Rutgers, and Keegan for the dagger vs Purdue for the title, his free throw shooting, his understanding of the game, I could go on and on.
No, I've complimented the assists. He is leading the nation in assists to turnovers btw, but he isn't a point guard.

I would guess if you take out the gimmies his percentage is worse than you think. Anyone who thinks he is an adequate shot in the big....I'm calling BS. His shot also doesn't give his teammates a chance to rebound as it's so dead and it doesn't appear they know it's coming.

I don't dislike as much as you think. I'm an econ guy and analyzer. You can question my analysis, but I just don't and won't see him as a good shot. I've been pretty consistent of the low 30s for him. Don't care about his percentage. If anything it's up as it makes opponents lazy and laugh. On a serious side guarantee they are more scared of Murray, Perkins, and PS regardless of percentages. They know he's not going to pop off and hit a barrage of 3s unlike the guys they are truly concerned about if they get into a rhythm. If I were a coach against him, I try and get him to shoot as many 3s as possible.

Solid and great post.

No, I've complimented the assists. He is leading the nation in assists to turnovers btw, but he isn't a point guard.

I would guess if you take out the gimmies his percentage is worse than you think. Anyone who thinks he is an adequate shot in the big....I'm calling BS. His shot also doesn't give his teammates a chance to rebound as it's so dead and it doesn't appear they know it's coming.

I don't dislike as much as you think. I'm an econ guy and analyzer. You can question my analysis, but I just don't and won't see him as a good shot. I've been pretty consistent of the low 30s for him. Don't care about his percentage. If anything it's up as it makes opponents lazy and laugh. On a serious side guarantee they are more scared of Murray, Perkins, and PS regardless of percentages. They know he's not going to pop off and hit a barrage of 3s unlike the guys they are truly concerned about if they get into a rhythm. If I were a coach against him, I try and get him to shoot as many 3s as possible.
You just don't get it, It has nothing to do with his shot. He brings so much else to the game. His shot and makes are just a bonus.
How do you not get it?

But you can't take out the gimmes. M. Jordan has made plenty of gimmes as well; did that make his percentage worse than you think? And it's not Connor's fault if his misses aren't reboundable anymore than any other shooter. That's on the rebounders.

He's unorthodox, and that's an insult to your comfort zone that demands fundamentally sound shooters. And I agree he's not a point guard in the purest sense, but assists are assists.

Heck, Mickey Lolich was fat, ate hotdogs between innings on days he pitched, and had a funky pitching delivery. You know what he did do? He threw strikes and came up big for big postseason games. Just ask the 1968 St Louis Cardinals.

You just don't get it, It has nothing to do with his shot. He brings so much else to the game. His shot and makes are just a bonus.
How do you not get it?
Again, I get the assists. He gets bunches. He is not consistent on the boards. His shot...

Getting 30 mins a game I agree with. How do you not get I support that. I do believe a coach' son with that bad a shot is a waste and sad. If he could just shoot average the Hawks would be tops.

I would guess his misses have the lowest O Rebounds as a percentage than anyone on the team.

Last edited:
But you can't take out the gimmes. M. Jordan has made plenty of gimmes as well; did that make his percentage worse than you think? And it's not Connor's fault if his misses aren't reboundable anymore than any other shooter. That's on the rebounders.

He's unorthodox, and that's an insult to your comfort zone that demands fundamentally sound shooters. And I agree he's not a point guard in the purest sense, but assists are assists.

Heck, Mickey Lolich was fat, ate hotdogs between innings on days he pitched, and had a funky pitching delivery. You know what he did do? He threw strikes and came up big for big postseason games. Just ask the 1968 St Louis Cardinals.
Granted everyone gets gimmies. Not very many Big starters not playing big get left alone as much as him. He is not very contested. Of course he makes some. D s sure know where Perk, Sandy, Murray and Ullis are at all times.

If Sanfort shot wide open like CM, FM would be sitting him down though Sandifer rebounds better as is nearly as good on assists.

Last edited: