Connor McCaffery Out

RobHowe

Administrator
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa men’s basketball freshman Connor McCaffery underwent a tonsillectomy Wednesday morning at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics as a result of recurrent bouts of throat infections and his recent case of mononucleosis.

McCaffery, who already has missed 10 games of his freshman campaign due to a sprained ankle and mononucleosis, will be out for an indeterminate period of time.

The native of Iowa City has played limited minutes in four nonconference games.

We really need him this year but at this point I think using the red shirt might be the right play with him set up to miss more time.

it's just not in the cards for the guy this year. Red shirt him, the year is a total loss anyway.

A tonsillectomy isn't a long recovery, i don't believe. Any doctors on this board can verify. But, having it so close to the B1G season might make more sense to RS. However, I do believe this kid is a key. JBo is not a ball handler and we will struggle in conference with him as such, I believe. MD could play pg, but Fran used Conner as pg and MD as more of an off guard/forward. MD doesn't have a lot of minutes at pg, right now. This is a pretty critical event. the team was getting into a groove.

If it wasn't for bad luck this kid wouldn't have any... Oh wait he was born on 3rd base with his Dad being a D1 Hoops coach never mind. But seriously that sucks. Sure would have been nice to have had him day 1 all season long and see how he'd do at 100%. Sounds like we won't get to see him at that point till next yr. Not his fault just thems the breaks.

There's no doubt we could use/need him. I think the question now just becomes is it more valuable to have him for another entire year rather than have him play out the rest of this season.

yeah, that is the question. to me, i'd rather have him playing and learning and creating on court chemistry; while also allowing JBo to do the same at SG, so that we don't have to do that all next season. My expectation for Iowa next season is a nice long NCAA run. this season is crucial for that. but i get the individual aspect of conner's personal career, also.

yeah, that is the question. to me, i'd rather have him playing and learning and creating on court chemistry; while also allowing JBo to do the same at SG, so that we don't have to do that all next season. My expectation for Iowa next season is a nice long NCAA run. this season is crucial for that. but i get the individual aspect of conner's personal career, also.

Yeah and the other unique aspect of Connor's individual aspect is Patrick and the potential to play another year with his brother if he red shirts too.

Yeah and the other unique aspect of Connor's individual aspect is Patrick and the potential to play another year with his brother if he red shirts too.

I do get all that....and it would be convenient, but to RS Connor on THIS team, that needs so much help at G is absolutely saying "we're giving up on the season". As a diehard Iowa hoops fan, I'm not ok with that. If Iowa was set there, had the luxury to do it and didn't need him, I would say absolutely RS Connor. But, this team and program need him IMO... if he can play he should play. If he is indeed too sick and injured then RS him.

A tonsillectomy isn't a long recovery, i don't believe. Any doctors on this board can verify. But, having it so close to the B1G season might make more sense to RS. However, I do believe this kid is a key. JBo is not a ball handler and we will struggle in conference with him as such, I believe. MD could play pg, but Fran used Conner as pg and MD as more of an off guard/forward. MD doesn't have a lot of minutes at pg, right now. This is a pretty critical event. the team was getting into a groove.

For a 5 or 6 year old it's not a long recovery. With adults, the recovery time can take much longer. Kids bounce back a lot easier. Adults, not so much. Connor is a young buck who's in good shape though, but with mono previously, I could see this knocking him on his butt for a while.

For a 5 or 6 year old it's not a long recovery. With adults, the recovery time can take much longer. Kids bounce back a lot easier. Adults, not so much. Connor is a young buck who's in good shape though, but with mono previously, I could see this knocking him on his butt for a while.

ok. ty.

I had mine out at 21 and while I don't regret it for a second, but it was freaking terrible for 2 weeks. It's a great way to lose 5lbs as solid food is not an option for at least 5 days. Then you have the scab on the back of your throat that until it heals completely can start bleeding at any cough or swallow. I had a re-bleed and had to go in to get it re-cauterized at 2 weeks out. If we see him before February we'll be lucky.

I had mine out at 21 and while I don't regret it for a second, but it was freaking terrible for 2 weeks. It's a great way to lose 5lbs as solid food is not an option for at least 5 days. Then you have the scab on the back of your throat that until it heals completely can start bleeding at any cough or swallow. I had a re-bleed and had to go in to get it re-cauterized at 2 weeks out. If we see him before February we'll be lucky.

So if that were the case, he'd miss like 10 games in January but be able to get back for the final 7.

I guess the good news is we likely don't have to make a decision until he's ready to come back and at that point you decide where you at with the season and if it's worth burning a year on 7 games as a preparation for next year with the mindset of NCAA tourney or bust or if it would be better to have his services for another year.

Latest posts