Connor McCaffery Out

I do get all that....and it would be convenient, but to RS Connor on THIS team, that needs so much help at G is absolutely saying "we're giving up on the season". As a diehard Iowa hoops fan, I'm not ok with that. If Iowa was set there, had the luxury to do it and didn't need him, I would say absolutely RS Connor. But, this team and program need him IMO... if he can play he should play. If he is indeed too sick and injured then RS him.

Our current RPI is 152. At this point, we're playing for the NIT. This season is already a lost cause.

Yes, we could definitely use Connor, but his health is of the utmost importance. There's no way he'll be back before mid-January at the earliest, and that's being optimistic. If we're fighting for an upper-tier finish in the B1G, then maybe bring him back, otherwise might as well take advantage of the redshirt.

Our current RPI is 152. At this point, we're playing for the NIT. This season is already a lost cause.

Yes, we could definitely use Connor, but his health is of the utmost importance. There's no way he'll be back before mid-January at the earliest, and that's being optimistic. If we're fighting for an upper-tier finish in the B1G, then maybe bring him back, otherwise might as well take advantage of the redshirt.

There's what... 17 games still left in the season? With the potential of more in the B1G Tournament? Against the best RPI teams Iowa will face all year? I get that our RPI is f'in terrible, but stop already. It's a giant long shot, that we can agree on, but putting your back up PG on the shelf because you think this season is a "lost cause" or that you want it to match up better so he can play with his brother doesn't help this team this season.

If he's too ILL to play, I am all for it, but to do it for the sake of our slow start seems like you're cheating people who want to watch Iowa win basketball games.

There's what... 17 games still left in the season? With the potential of more in the B1G Tournament? Against the best RPI teams Iowa will face all year? I get that our RPI is f'in terrible, but stop already. It's a giant long shot, that we can agree on, but putting your back up PG on the shelf because you think this season is a "lost cause" or that you want it to match up better so he can play with his brother doesn't help this team this season.

If he's too ILL to play, I am all for it, but to do it for the sake of our slow start seems like you're cheating people who want to watch Iowa win basketball games.

You're trying to do what is best for the program long term and perhaps that means making a sacrifice in the short term but the goal by making this type of move would be to position Iowa to win more basketball games in the future.

Connor showed a real b-ball IQ in limited minutes and less than 100%. I like what I saw but it’s time to shut him down in a season that has been squandered already. He can then play 4 more years for us and contribute. I don’t think he will be a superstar but a solid player for us which helps.

You're trying to do what is best for the program long term and perhaps that means making a sacrifice in the short term but the goal by making this type of move would be to position Iowa to win more basketball games in the future.

I get it, I do... and maybe that's what is best. I will be ok with it either way I guess. It just feels like it's prepping for the future and giving up on this season because of a slow start. Plus, playing this season might be as valuable to him as a RS. I want whatever is best for the program tho.

Just my 2 cents, but even if he were to redshirt how do we know he'd even be back for that last year? My thoughts as far as basketball goes if he can play this season and somehow contribute then play now. Who's to say that if he red shirts this year and things go well in baseball for him that he even comes back for the extra year.

I'm a firm believer that you hope each recruiting class is better than the one before it, with that said, hopefully our future classes can play themselves into the line up to the point where we wouldn't need him that 5th year anyway.

Connor should be shut down. This is just too much for a freshman to overcome health-wise. That said, I also agree that the redshirt will mark the end of the 17-18 season, because this team without him is just bad. Spend the rest of this year playing the freshmen, make it clear that you'll play in the CBI regardless of record if you're wanted in order to get an extra game or two. But next year will officially be NCAA or coaching change. I'll tolerate a lost season for one year, but you don't get two.

Connor should be shut down. This is just too much for a freshman to overcome health-wise. That said, I also agree that the redshirt will mark the end of the 17-18 season, because this team without him is just bad. Spend the rest of this year playing the freshmen, make it clear that you'll play in the CBI regardless of record if you're wanted in order to get an extra game or two. But next year will officially be NCAA or coaching change. I'll tolerate a lost season for one year, but you don't get two.
Don't you mean you'll tolerate 2 lost seasons, but not 3?

The guy hopefully has gotten rid of all the bad luck at the start of his college career and the next four years will go smoothly. You never know, but as of right now it doesn't appear that this team will be going to the NCAA tournament anyway.

I get it, I do... and maybe that's what is best. I will be ok with it either way I guess. It just feels like it's prepping for the future and giving up on this season because of a slow start. Plus, playing this season might be as valuable to him as a RS. I want whatever is best for the program tho.

I think you're putting it just a littttle lightly. I think trainwreck of a start is more fitting.

A full and quick recovery is most important. Then see if he can be at full strength and how many games are left before deciding on the redshirt. Maybe JBo and Dailey can do 35 minutes of pt guard a game.

He wasn’t in playing shape before this. Because of the risk of a post-tonsillectomy bleed, diet is limited to soft foods for several days and it’s difficult to even stay well hydrated becuse if the pain from swallowing. He couldn’t be back any sooner than late Jan as a shell of what he was a week ago and then wouldn’t be anywhere close to D1 hoops shape.

I wish him well on his recovery and hope he can get back in top shape even if he doesn’t play the rest of the season.

Hmmm, in today's world, tonsillectomy almost without exception unnecessary. It's a sign of a poor unhealthy diet and compromised immune system. It's pretty old school to remove them. It will take away missing practice and games due to reoccurring strep sore throat, but it won't solve the overall conditions that caused it.

For a 5 or 6 year old it's not a long recovery. With adults, the recovery time can take much longer. Kids bounce back a lot easier. Adults, not so much. Connor is a young buck who's in good shape though, but with mono previously, I could see this knocking him on his butt for a while.
His dad said as much. Not responding well to drugs for the mono, can’t regain stamina, now this. He done for the season. Just hope and pray for his full recovery and hope he can get well and start to regain physical condition in time for next season.

His dad said as much. Not responding well to drugs for the mono, can’t regain stamina, now this. He done for the season. Just hope and pray for his full recovery and hope he can get well and start to regain physical condition in time for next season.

Mono and basketball don't really go well together. Afraid you are correct. He is done for this year.

Maybe it's not coming through on TV, but from court-side, Connor is gassed shortly after entering the game. He's hunched over, huffing and puffing, grabbing his shorts at every stoppage. He's gutted it out to this point.

He's a tough kid. He'd play if he could. I'm betting on a RS.

Maybe it's not coming through on TV, but from court-side, Connor is gassed shortly after entering the game. He's hunched over, huffing and puffing, grabbing his shorts at every stoppage. He's gutted it out to this point.

He's a tough kid. He'd play if he could. I'm betting on a RS.
Well, he originally was planning on the RS anyways, so they should just look at it as a bonus he got some playing time without wasting a year.

He's going to RS. A fair question is, how will that affect recruiting? What I mean is Connor and Patrick will be here for three years together. I'm not questioning their level of talent but will recruits want to play for a team in which it will be taken for granted that two of the coaches sons might be in the starting lineup 2 or 3 years together?

Nothing against Fran and his sons, and I know this has already been brought up, but just can't help wondering.

If Fran is recruiting a quality point guard I doubt that he would tell him his son would start at the point guard position. His son would probably play some small forward, off guard, and back up point guard.

Latest posts