Connor McCaffery: Hawkeye Baseball Star?

Agreed. Let's see what summer league baseball does for him.

Being a 6'6" lefty I really think he'd have a shot if he had started pitching when he was younger.

The problem is pitchers are 100% a disposable commodity in baseball, but at his height (probably 6'4" in real life), a southpaw with a decent pitching coach could get his foot in the door vs. a 6'1" right hander of the same talent level. Just his physical attributes alone eliminate probably 20-30% of his competition, and I can say from experience that the vast majority of baseball players aren't in the shape that playing year round basketball from the age of 5 will put you in.

Being a 6'6" lefty I really think he'd have a shot if he had started pitching when he was younger.

The problem is pitchers are 100% a disposable commodity in baseball, but at his height (probably 6'4" in real life), a southpaw with a decent pitching coach could get his foot in the door vs. a 6'1" right hander of the same talent level. Just his physical attributes alone eliminate probably 20-30% of his competition, and I can say from experience that the vast majority of baseball players aren't in the shape that playing year round basketball from the age of 5 will put you in.

Connor pitched when he was younger. He was pitching as recently as a freshman on the sophomore team for Iowa City West. Then he stopped (not sure why). My son played against him starting in youth baseball through high school.

Connor pitched when he was younger. He was pitching as recently as a freshman on the sophomore team for Iowa City West. Then he stopped (not sure why). My son played against him starting in youth baseball through high school.
At any rate, I think that's the most sure footed path for lefties unless their hitting is just ridiculously good. I mean their only choices are outfield and 1st base.

A lot has happened with Hawkeye basketball since my initial post. 4 of our top 7 returning players declared for the NBA/transferred, and 1 came back. Perhaps the most shocking move, starter Moss transferring, it's been rumored that he was pissed off that he would ride the bench for extended periods of time at the ends of games in favor of Iowa's lowest % shooter/coach's son, McCaffery.

McCaffery looks to play a much bigger role next year with the exodus of guards, so it's time to revisit the often repeated story that McCaffery is a bona fide Major League prospect who will likely be a top draft pick in this year's MLB draft. The regular baseball season is over, so how did he end up once he burned the rust off and focused entirely on baseball?

12th in the team in batting avg (.235), 15th in on base/slugging percentage. Just 5 RBIs all season and 1 HR. Led the team in strikeouts per at bat.

Clearly just like his 4 star hs basketball rating, McCaffery's baseball accolades coming into the season appear to be all hype and no substance. Since the MLB draft is well out of range, it's safe to say that Connor needs to either pick a sport and go all in with it, or come off the bench as a below avg role player in two sports.

I don't think kids of multi millionaires worry about their future outcomes the same as the average folks. The guy is on the deans list and his dad is loaded. I doubt he is to concerned about it. I don't know why he should be on a full scholarship in basketball if he is a part time player though.

Latest posts