Confirmed: Rhabdomyolysis

It's hard to imagine 12 guys get this all at once just from over exertion. You have to wonder if these guys got their hands on come bad supplements which accelerated the process.

For the record I am speaking of legal supplements and nothing illegal.

Sounds like Matt and Miller are going to go "overreaction" when they get back from the commercial break because "this doesn't look good, it's only January 25th"...

WebMD says:

There are many causes of rhabdomyolysis. The most common causes include:
-Use of alcohol or illegal drugs such as cocaine or amphetamines

Damn you DJK!
Just kidding, but this disorder sounds SERIOUS.

I wonder of they hit the Creatine too hard after their workout?

Hope they are okay and recover quickly.

It's hard to imagine 12 guys get this all at once just from over exertion. You have to wonder if these guys got their hands on come bad supplements which accelerated the process.

For the record I am speaking of legal supplements and nothing illegal.

Over-exertion without proper hydration. It wasn't just the exercise, at least from the sound of it. I've never gotten brown urine, but I did get pretty tipsy during two-a-days my senior year. I'd stopped sweating, my skin was tingling, and I was getting dizzy. By the time I went to the bathroom, I'd already taken in plenty of fluids.

I looked up the causes for rhabdo. Extreme physical exertion is one cause. Low electrolytes is another. I'd guess that these 12 guys hit the Daily Double. Jim Poggi is the only player that I've seen identified to this point. It's possible that the majority of the players are in their first offseason with Doyle, and weren't adequately prepared for it.

This tweet worries me a little, especially since it's starting to get retweeted...

Twitter

Heard from multiple #Iowa players & a trainer that their workouts last wk were grueling. Quote from one: "I've never seen so much puke"

This tweet worries me a little, especially since it's starting to get retweeted...

Twitter

Heard from multiple #Iowa players & a trainer that their workouts last wk were grueling. Quote from one: "I've never seen so much puke"

Yeah that doesn't sound good, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the coaches and administration. It's never happened before. I'm sure someone will get in trouble, but you can bet that it wasn't an intentional situation.

Coaching staff if probably sick of our team sucking wind come 4th quarter. Should have had more workouts like this last winter.

Twitter

Iowa is the only school in the nation that has players puke during workouts....right?

WebMD says:

There are many causes of rhabdomyolysis. The most common causes include:
-Use of alcohol or illegal drugs such as cocaine or amphetamines

Damn you DJK!
Just kidding, but this disorder sounds SERIOUS.

I just read Web MD too. You skipped several other causes, the most likely of which in this case would be muscle trauma, probably due to overtraining. I wonder if these boys were doing extra training that the staff didn't know about and the kids didn't realize it would be too much.

UncleHawk

Source tells KCJJ that several of the hospitalized Iowa football players have admitted to taking large amounts of Aspirin (which can cause bloody urine) after their workouts.

I work in the kidney business....have for 18 years. I have NEVER seen Rhabdo for over-exertion...EVER.. 99..9 of the cases I have seen have been related to that statin drugs. (cholesterol medicines)

However I do not work with athletes and I am FULLY aware of the fact that rhabdo can happen from severe exertion...however rare it is I am stunned that it happened to 12 Iowa Players.

With that in MInd evidently It is very possible that this may indeed be the case as dehydration dramatically increases the chance.

Source tells KCJJ that several of the hospitalized Iowa football players have admitted to taking Aspirin (which can cause bloody urine) after their workouts.

i dont think coaches can provide supplements any longer. perhaps the guys shared something and didnt use it properly

Latest posts