Confidence

I'm not so sure about our chances strait up. I feel like it may take an opportune turnover or two going our way which are the least predictable things ever pretty much. They're a legit SEC team with big time talent on both sides of the ball. We'll be tested for sure.

Hmmmmm, interesting question.

My concern would be that MSU's defensive line will quickly dominate the Iowa o-line.

Iowa will be unable to move the ball on the ground, and ears back, Stanley will get skeeerd quick.

Iowa is +7 or so.

I am thinking Iowa has a chance to play a clean game, and the best game of the season. I put the odds above 50%

Time to play the role of overachiever rather than underachiever.

Will Kirk have them ready to go at the start, avoiding the Hawkeye punch drunk opening minutes, when Iowa has been steamrolled by more talented teams, for a quick TKO?

Except this past season, with the exception of Purdue, WE were the quick-starting team against "superior" competition.

I actually get nervous when we jump out in front of better teams. We often seem to play better in the face of adversity. "Success" and "dominance" aren't long-lasting this particular decade, or at the least, don't seem to be a springboard to next-level status.

Except this past season, with the exception of Purdue, WE were the quick-starting team against "superior" competition.

I actually get nervous when we jump out in front of better teams. We often seem to play better in the face of adversity. "Success" and "dominance" aren't long-lasting this particular decade, or at the least, don't seem to be a springboard to next-level status.
This isn't your first rodeo.

60%. We're both much better on defense, but Miss. St. Is completely 1-dimensional on O while we at least have some semblance of balance. Not gonna be many points scored though.
I wonder how Iowa has done, historically, against talented QBs who can run?

Stopping one dimensional anything is most often easier.

Thank God it's an early game b/c I can turn it off at half and then have a 31.9% of not getting too drunk and boning my wife. If it's a close game then I have a 68.1% of becoming extremely disappointed when we lose it in the last 30 seconds and gettin nuttin from my wife.....

I wonder how Iowa has done, historically, against talented QBs who can run?

Stopping one dimensional anything is most often easier.
Overall? Not great. In recent years, though, they've done much better, and Fitzgerald's receiving core isn't great by any means.

I'm in the <50% crowd. Unless our offensive line turns in the performance of the year...it could get ugly. Our D is good enough to keep us in most any game...but they won't put points on the board.

Overall? Not great. In recent years, though, they've done much better, and Fitzgerald's receiving core isn't great by any means.
I do have a fear that MSU's defensive line will be an unstoppable tide for which Iowa will have no answer.

Wasn't it Georgia Tech that had the mobile QB that we played in a bowl, and we shut him down? I forget.

Thank God it's an early game b/c I can turn it off at half and then have a 31.9% of not getting too drunk and boning my wife. If it's a close game then I have a 68.1% of becoming extremely disappointed when we lose it in the last 30 seconds and gettin nuttin from my wife.....
Hopefully she ends up getting a "nuttin" from you!

I think our ol started to come alive towards the end of the year. I actually think our entire o finally started to look like they were on the same page. Given the bowl practices, I feel pretty ok with this game.
It's going to be a fight, that's for sure, but I have faith that they have known that since the end of the season.

Last edited:

Dude, bone her early.

It really depends on how Stanley plays. His accuracy has been a struggle all season long. He will need to be decent on the medium and long balls against this defense. And we can't have more than 1 bad interception .. especially in the red zone.
Thumb "injury" healed? No excuses, just do it. Play with calm and determination, don't give the damn game away. Be a leader. Make some big plays.

30% I don't see Iowa's offense being able to move the ball on this team at all. Low scoring slugfest...that we lose.

Those games were more about our anemic offense than the other team's offense. Of course, it could be the same story against Miss St, but I sure hope not.

This Iowa offense isn't exactly prolific. Those LSU/Florida teams couldn't throw the football either and the games ended up being the stereotypical speed and athleticism of the SEC against the slow, plodding BIG. Trust me, I want you to be correct, I want this to be Iowa/Boston college......I just do not think it will be.

33%

Offense just won't get rolling.

Defense on the field too long, wearing out late.

MS wins 17- 6.

Would love to eat a plate of crow new years day.

Go Hawks.
I fear all the stereotypes of the last few games against SEC team playing out next week. Their Defense is beyond good and resting on the assumption that we will do well against them because of their supposed 1 dimensional offense is naive. During the 2nd half of the season they were much more effective throwing the football.

And late...why not?

giphy.gif