Conference Expansion

Can we please quit kicking the dog about expansion for sets rather then teams? Go after Kansas State and Pitt. They are both strong in both FB and BB so they would make good games for TV. Sure we can add Kansas or G Tech, but seriously how far down to you want to dilute the brand? Do we want to be one of the top Conferences or do we want to be the American Conference? Or how about the MAC? You want tvs? Then get some good games rather then Rutgers vrs Nebraska in basketball on Sunday CBS. Or maybe we can have Rutgers vrs Directional Michigan team on the BIG network as the game of the week. You want to get more tvs, get the BIG out of the MAC preseason bowl or N Texas and put some challenges before them.

What? Kansas St. & Pitt? The chance that the B1G would admit either one of them is only slightly better than Silo Tech's chances. You couldn't possibly dilute the "brand" any more than by admitting them.

If the B1G had to boot any school, it would be Iowa. It would never happen, but given a choice between the NYC, D.C. & the Des Moines TV markets it's a no brainer. Rutgers & Maryland are going to line Iowa's pockets with money. Iowa is very fortunate to be in the Big Ten. Booting Iowa for Notre Dame would be far more lucrative to the conference than booting any of the three additions.

Theyre never going to boot a Big Ten School from the B1G.

My goodness. No more expansion please! If anything, retraction back to the pre Penn State actual Big Ten.

My goodness. No more expansion please! If anything, retraction back to the pre Penn State actual Big Ten.

There will be more expansion. Just a matter of when.

And since more expansion is a given, it's better to be out in front of it, and I am sure the Big Ten will be. They, and the SEC, have the most to offer schools would have an interest to move, and who are also attractive.

I think Oklahoma, Texas and Notre Dame would be at the top of my list. Then let's say Texas and ND are not happening, I would like Oklahoma and North Carolina. Or Oklahoma and Kansas.

And since more expansion is a given, it's better to be out in front of it, and I am sure the Big Ten will be. They, and the SEC, have the most to offer schools would have an interest to move, and who are also attractive.

I think Oklahoma, Texas and Notre Dame would be at the top of my list. Then let's say Texas and ND are not happening, I would like Oklahoma and North Carolina. Or Oklahoma and Kansas.
Ahh the new reality of college football.

Ahh the new reality of college football.
It's all about money. Get the right combination of markets together and everyone makes a ton of money. Like JM said, if it's going to happen, I would rather be the one getting the teams that the Big 10 wants. Honestly, I doubt Texas will come, but if they and ND both decided they wanted to make the most amount of money possible, they would team up and join the BIG.

Kansas & Oklahoma absolutely make no sense. The Oklahoma City TV market is smaller than the Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek market. You might like them to join the B1G, but there are no economic reasons for admitting either school. Give me dollars. Maryland & Rutgers have far greater value than either school. The B1G only will expand to put more dollars in Iowa's pockets. There are less than a handful of schools the B1G will accept. Delaney & the B1G are laughing all the way to the bank. They have a license to print money.

Give me a dollars & cents reason for expansion. The B1G & the SEC will not expand for expansion sake. They are winning the nuclear arms race. Plus, I don't think that the conference will expand so that Iowa plays Michigan & Ohio State once every fifteen years.

If you want just more TVs (Read: more $ in B1G pockets from media deals) then Texas is an obvious choice to poach. But that would be the death knell for the big12. And I have a feeling that if you could pull Texas you could pull Oklahoma. OK doesn't bring you a lot of new TV sets, but Texas more than makes up for that. Notre Dame is also the other one. It has the best chance to expand BTN coverage nationwide, as ND has one of the largest and most active alumni bases. The big rub there is their CBS contract. Another way to go to try to expand just tv sets might be to look at Boston College and Pitt. They don't increase the footprint much, but it does open up New England a lot more.

For purely conference strength purposes, the choices are pretty obvious: Texas, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Miami, Virginia Tech, UNC.

Recruiting? The play is pretty obvious. You need a southern school near the east coast. UVA, UNC, Clemson, Miami. And Texas. Texas all day long.

The result here? Texas is a must for this round of expansion when it happens. We're at 14 teams and I think 16 is the magic number considering the road we're going down. The magic duo to get to 16 would be Texas and ND.

After reading all of this about the TV money I can hear university presidents and state legislators salivating. How long before someone (besides the athletic departments) taps into the pot o'gold and points out that the arms race in college sports (building new facilities and so on) has gone too far? Call me a pessimist, but I see more conference expansion as the beginning of the end of college sports.

If you want just more TVs (Read: more $ in B1G pockets from media deals) then Texas is an obvious choice to poach. But that would be the death knell for the big12. And I have a feeling that if you could pull Texas you could pull Oklahoma. OK doesn't bring you a lot of new TV sets, but Texas more than makes up for that. Notre Dame is also the other one. It has the best chance to expand BTN coverage nationwide, as ND has one of the largest and most active alumni bases. The big rub there is their CBS contract. Another way to go to try to expand just tv sets might be to look at Boston College and Pitt. They don't increase the footprint much, but it does open up New England a lot more.

For purely conference strength purposes, the choices are pretty obvious: Texas, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Miami, Virginia Tech, UNC.

Recruiting? The play is pretty obvious. You need a southern school near the east coast. UVA, UNC, Clemson, Miami. And Texas. Texas all day long.

The result here? Texas is a must for this round of expansion when it happens. We're at 14 teams and I think 16 is the magic number considering the road we're going down. The magic duo to get to 16 would be Texas and ND.

Exactly, other than I'd take Georgia Tech over Notre Dame. Though I'd take either one. There will be no expansion unless Texas wants to get into a conference with like minded schools. Unless Texas wants to bolt the BIG XII there will be no expansion.

Yeah he's plotting his next big move but how will he ever top the addition of that powerhouse Rutgers program???

He will never top the number of TV homes added to the conference. Plus, can you even name one Hawk from the New York metro area!

Can we please quit kicking the dog about expansion for sets rather then teams? Go after Kansas State and Pitt. They are both strong in both FB and BB so they would make good games for TV. Sure we can add Kansas or G Tech, but seriously how far down to you want to dilute the brand? Do we want to be one of the top Conferences or do we want to be the American Conference? Or how about the MAC? You want tvs? Then get some good games rather then Rutgers vrs Nebraska in basketball on Sunday CBS. Or maybe we can have Rutgers vrs Directional Michigan team on the BIG network as the game of the week. You want to get more tvs, get the BIG out of the MAC preseason bowl or N Texas and put some challenges before them.

Not to burst the bubble, but as someone who lives in $EC/ACC country, we see more Florida vs. Georgia Southern and 'Bama vs. Charleston Southern-type games than E$ecPN is and the $EC Network would care to admit...

Ummm...ND doesn't have "one of the largest alumni bases", although they DO have a crap-ton of fans. And their contract is with NBC, not CBS.

Other than that ( :) ), those are some good choices. I still wonder how the fraud issue at UNC will shake out, though...

Texas is the top dog in the Big 12, their recent performance in football notwithstanding. Why would they want to give up that status and be just one of a few top schools in the B1G?

I can't imagine a much better scenario to get to 20 than the 6 ACC teams, if they go the 5 team pod/league route, don't want 2 10 team divisions.

Ideally you try and get Texas but if that isn't an option, the expansion down the east coast is fantastic. Much rather take the ACC haul vs. getting Texas and have to take Big12 teams instead. Not crazy about Duke, but I'd opt for that vs. having to travel to Stillwater or Lubbock in the fall.

Sounds like blowing up the ACC will minimize the penalties for the teams leaving.

I can't imagine a much better scenario to get to 20 than the 6 ACC teams, if they go the 5 team pod/league route, don't want 2 10 team divisions.

Ideally you try and get Texas but if that isn't an option, the expansion down the east coast is fantastic. Much rather take the ACC haul vs. getting Texas and have to take Big12 teams instead. Not crazy about Duke, but I'd opt for that vs. having to travel to Stillwater or Lubbock in the fall.

Sounds like blowing up the ACC will minimize the penalties for the teams leaving.
The 5 team pods is the scenario (again all could be total bs, so please take it with a grain of salt) that is being discussed. I would prefer that as well. Play against traditional rivals with some interesting cross over games every year. If you have 20 teams, you might as well play 10 conference games and just 2 non-con, but not sure that would happen.

I think GT, UNC, Virginia, FSU, and Duke + ND would be >>>> Texas, OU, Kansas, and whatever other Big12 teams you would get. The B1G would then run all the way down the East Coast, and have the traditional B1G footprint was well.

I think in any scenero the B1G will have to blow up the ACC, as then the buyouts would be null and void. Those buyouts never hold up anyway, and are negotiated down if they are paid at all.

The 5 team pods is the scenario (again all could be total bs, so please take it with a grain of salt) that is being discussed. I would prefer that as well. Play against traditional rivals with some interesting cross over games every year. If you have 20 teams, you might as well play 10 conference games and just 2 non-con, but not sure that would happen.

Yep, splitting into smaller "pods, or division" is the only good way to manage huge Super Conferences. It eliminates the whole balance problem of one division being way stronger as it is constantly changing. It also is the only way to allow playing every team in the conference 2 times (home and away) over a 6 year period.

Yep, splitting into smaller "pods, or division" is the only good way to manage huge Super Conferences. It eliminates the whole balance problem of one division being way stronger as it is constantly changing. It also is the only way to allow playing every team in the conference 2 times (home and away) over a 6 year period.
It's tough to sell Super Conferences as a recruiting advantage, but if it sets up right, hopefully you can get a few of the games in the more populous areas of the Southeast and Northeast every year.

Latest posts