Concerned about Fuller

He was working out with the team yesterday. I find it kind of odd that a player would be doing strength and conditioning drills with a team that he was going to be leaving soon. That is just my take though.

If he's staying through the end of the semester why wouldn't he want to stay in shape and continue working out, playing basketball, etc? I'm sure the new school would want him staying active.

He was working out with the team yesterday. I find it kind of odd that a player would be doing strength and conditioning drills with a team that he was going to be leaving soon. That is just my take though.

That is a good step to mentally committing and coming back. Right now at worst he is uncertain

things are more positive there now than they have been in a while. That can be good tonic, especially if Fuller has built good relationships with teammates. I can imagine this winter, several guys basically saying screw this I am out o here. When your peers are thinking that it makes it a lot easier to leave

but as that mindset has changed with Fran's hiring, u might be more of a lone ranger and it's tougher to stay on that course.

Jon, I wonder how much a kid thinks about leaving when every reporter is constantly asking "if you are thinking of leaving." Now, I am sure there is a reason a reporter would ask the question but you wonder how much a kid thinks to himself, "if every reporter and their mother thinks I am leaving or considering it, there must be a reason and I should think about it." Obviously, I do realize if we were 22-10 instead of 10-22 this wouldn't be such an issue but more and more I am just grateful Barta pulled the plug on the Lick era. He really feel substantially short in many critical areas.

The reason he was asked is because he had talked to people about leaving and that got out. Perhaps it became an echo chamber after a while but there were strong smoke signals

I think that Coach McCaffery's approach is the right one with not only the incoming recruits but also the current players. I read somewhere that he will not only be visiting all of the incoming recruits in person to sell himself and his program but he will be doing the same with the parents of the current players as well.

I think that if the current players have a comfort level with the school and the community (and I don't think there is any reason to believe they don't), then I think that Coach McCaffery is going to be a huge influence on whether they stay or go.

Transferring has drawbacks not the least of which is having to redshirt. And if you are going to be learning a new system (which you would have to do if you transferred), why not do it with guys you are already comfortable with?

I wonder how soon we will know one way or the other whether any of the current players (or incoming recruits) won't be at Iowa next year and how much that will impact what happens with a Siena recruit like Basabe?

iahawk72

Im going to go out on a very optimistic limb here and say no one transfers and the recruits stay committed.

Edit: Outside of John Licklighter

I'm wondering if Mac has been able to successfully destroy the cliques in the Iowa program. I think that was probably his #1 order of business, even more so than keeping Fuller. Because there is no way he could keep Fuller unless he removed the cliques from the team anyway.

Knowing that Brommer and Fuller are extremely tight, I would think that these workouts are going to be interesting. If Brommer doesn't fit, and leaves, Fuller is gone. Luckily, I am confident that Brommer will be here next season. So that's probably a good sign.

One other thing about the Siena recruit Basabe who is reportedly still in play as a possible release by Siena.

Here is his bio from scout's database:

Scout.com: Melsahn Basabe Profile

Except for the weight, I suspect that Basabe would be a good slot filler if Fuller chooses to leave.

I certainly don't hope for that but just thinking a couple steps ahead should things unfold that way.

iahawk72

The fact that Fran indicated that Aaron did have some issues with the situation last year after talking with Aaron clearly supports the premise that Aaron was strongly considering leaving after this semester.
Now, he professes to like Iowa and love his teammates so hopefully that will carry the day,but yea, it is hard to turn back when you start getting the warm and fuzzy feelings about returning to his native Az area near friends and family.

I hope he stays, as I think he really does have potential to expand his game each year,and become an all league performer by his senior year...ie.top 15 in the league.
When the offense ran thru him, it was our best chance as he can pass,put it on the floor and drive,or shoot it. Really our only triple threat in the post.

Good point. If Fuller stays, I wonder how happy he'll be and for how long.

I used to lead a staff of around 30. We were all underpaid and overworked, conditions over which I had little control. When top performers looked to move on, I had some success getting them to stay ... for a while. But eventually the factors which got them to consider a move in the first place resurfaced and they were gone.

Eventually I came to the conclusion that it was better to help people move along when they were ready to go and to reload with the next strong prospect. It generally worked out better for all concerned.

We've been led to believe that Aaron likes the Unversity and likes Iowa City. The factors that led to his alleged decision to transfer would most likely have been named Lickliter and losing. If he decides to stay and things begin to look better, as I think they will in short order because of real leadership, I see no reason to believe Aaron's previous concerns will resurface.

If he's just gone too far down the road of leaving to want to turn back, I would understand that and the prorgam would just need to move in. And there may be a guy named Besabe who'd be only too happy to step into that scholarship.

Last edited:
I have recently heard that Gatens isn't the most popular guy among his teamates and maybe Fuller is one that he doesn't get along with very well, so it could come down to that relationship being more of an issue than the coach.

I have never heard that about Gatens

It's your second post so I assume you are trying to start trouble.

That is a good step to mentally committing and coming back. Right now at worst he is uncertain

things are more positive there now than they have been in a while. That can be good tonic, especially if Fuller has built good relationships with teammates. I can imagine this winter, several guys basically saying screw this I am out o here. When your peers are thinking that it makes it a lot easier to leave

but as that mindset has changed with Fran's hiring, u might be more of a lone ranger and it's tougher to stay on that course.

If Fuller goes, that sucks but it's not the end of the world. Roster turnover with a coaching change is inevitable. If Fuller goes, hello Basabe! What we should all really be watching is to who gets the last scholarship; what kind of PG can we get to backup/supplant Payne?

I have recently heard that Gatens isn't the most popular guy among his teamates and maybe Fuller is one that he doesn't get along with very well, so it could come down to that relationship being more of an issue than the coach.

Jon suggested last month he had heard roommates Gatens and Tucker were pretty close and that cliques had developed on the team, so this may not be so far off.

Certainly sounds like Coach Fran has a lot of repair work to do, more than might be apparent. But if possesses half the confidence he has exuded so far I have no doubt he's up to the task, and look forward to seeing what he can accomplish.

Very true - but as you said earlier Jon, to take that decision to leave is making a leap. A difficult leap to make in the first place with a lot of mental anguish, which makes talking him into climbing down from that choice even more tricky.

Jon suggested last month he had heard roommates Gatens and Tucker were pretty close and that cliques had developed on the team, so this may not be so far off.

Certainly sounds like Coach Fran has a lot of repair work to do, more than might be apparent. But if possesses half the confidence he has exuded so far I have no doubt he's up to the task, and look forward to seeing what he can accomplish.
I think now that the cliques are breaking up and tucker is going to be off the team things will be much better. I could see tucker being a bad influence to gatens and others.

I think now that the cliques are breaking up and tucker is going to be off the team things will be much better. I could see tucker being a bad influence to gatens and others.

Impossible to know if any of this is true. My guess is that most of the bad blood/feelings on the team was directed at Lick

I am resisting with every ounce in my body the notion that Gatens and his parents got Lick fired and will turn out to be a disruptive force as the new coach seeks to assemble a cohesive team that will lead rebuilding of the program. Certainly hope that turns out to not be the case.

I am resisting with every ounce in my body the notion that Gatens and his parents got Lick fired and will turn out to be a disruptive force as the new coach seeks to assemble a cohesive team that will lead rebuilding of the program.

tweeter - you were right about the clique post on the team, and you are probably going down the right path on the post I am quoting.

lick ultimately paid the price for whatever was going on as he was the leader, but I'm thinking there is a lot more to this story.

I am resisting with every ounce in my body the notion that Gatens and his parents got Lick fired and will turn out to be a disruptive force as the new coach seeks to assemble a cohesive team that will lead rebuilding of the program. Certainly hope that turns out to not be the case.
I cant see Gatens and his family being a disruptive force, he only has two more years to try and make his college career look good. He is either going to try and help the team as much as possible or transfer. It wouldnt be beneficial to him. If he stays pace or tries to disrupt the team he will be a Calvin Davis like bust.

Latest posts