Completely Hypothetical: Would you rather....

Iowa got a top 25 class last year without having been in the dance since the 05/6 season.

True, but the reason that class is ranked Top 25 is because we got two 4* recruits, and both of them were local recruits. Ok, Gesell is S. Sioux City, NE but that is just on the other side of the river from Sioux City, IA, so is still more or less "local", and Nebraska's hoops program isn't exactly a powerhouse, so Gesell wasn't leaving a lot behind by going out of state.

To get on the radar of more highly-rated out of state recruits (say like Illinois), Iowa's program will need to get their attention, and it's much easier to do that by getting to the NCAA Tournament than by going to the NIT.

To get on the radar of more highly-rated out of state recruits (say like Illinois), Iowa's program will need to get their attention, and it's much easier to do that by getting to the NCAA Tournament than by going to the NIT.

BINGO!!! This is why one-and-done in the NCAAs is better than a long run in the NIT. In March, recruits want to play in the Big Dance, not the Big Apple.

So I'll take a One-And-Done Big Dance any day.

GO HAWKS!!!

True, but the reason that class is ranked Top 25 is because we got two 4* recruits, and both of them were local recruits. Ok, Gesell is S. Sioux City, NE but that is just on the other side of the river from Sioux City, IA, so is still more or less "local", and Nebraska's hoops program isn't exactly a powerhouse, so Gesell wasn't leaving a lot behind by going out of state.

That recruiting class was very impressive considering how bad Iowa has been over the years. Landing Gesell was not a walk in the park, the coaches spent a lot of time and effort to get both he and Woodbury to come to Iowa. Gesell grew up a Nebraska fan and we all seen Roy put the full court press to try and get Woodbury.

NCAA Tourney.

Especially considering what would have to happen for Iowa to make it, they'd be getting a lot of press and a lot media would be calling them sleepers due to their late season surge.

I know Stormin likes these kinds of threads. :p

.... have Iowa somehow miraculously make it into the NCAA & get pounded in a first or second round loss or have Iowa make a nice run in the NIT such as to a semifinal game or championship game?

Which would be better for the program at this point in the development of Iowa basketball under Fran McCaffery?

Debate please.

How about this year's nonconference record and last year's conference wins and an NcAA berth.

For me, THIS YEAR, I'd rather see a run to MSG. I also think it would be better for the team's long-term development.

1) As a fan, I want to see the team keep playing, and, hopefully, winning. Don't care who it's against. The NIT, against comparable competition, is the greatest chance for that to happen.

2) I think an extended season - more practice and games - gets everyone more experience.

3) It's still a 1-n-done situation. The repeated pressure of that tournament reality goes further in seasoning the mental toughness of the team.

4) While there would be more pride in making the NCAA, the 1st round loss would be a quick reminder of how they are still not ready for that level.

5) Don't discount the positive publicity that comes from a deep-run in the NIT. It's still gets national TV, with little direct competition for viewers. RDM's name, reputation and expectations were much more recognized this season because of his performance against Oregon. Of course, once you get that "springboard" pub, you need to keep delivering.

6) Iowa's recruiting won't be helped, or hurt, by a deep NIT run this year. Hawks have the best guy they were in on for 2013 - the other's aren't make-or-breakers. As short-sighted as most high school underclassmen are (talking 2014 recruits and beyond), they're not going to look at what Iowa did in 2013, 2 seasons prior to when they will be playing. Any difference makers that do are most likely long shots to land at Iowa, anyway.

NEXT YEAR it might have an impact on their decision. By then, Iowa should be in the NCAA. I believe a deep NIT run this year will be a big part of why they WILL BE in the NCAA next year and, just as importantly, why they will be in the discussion all season long.

If it's between a guaranteed NIT win and a guaranteed 1st round loss, I'll take the NIT. I would much rather watch us win 5 more games then watch us get blown out in 1 game. Now if it was between a guaranteed NIT win and not knowing what will happen in the NCAA (but assuming we won't get that far) I would take the NCAA. As for not remembering the NIT champ, who remembers the 32 teams that get knocked out 1st round of the dance? I do agree with Spank when he says how we would get there would get us a lot of publicity, but anyone considering Iowa probably realizes where we are headed anyway.

NCAA tournament and it isn't really even debatable.

People who want to see NIT still haven't escaped the Downward Spiral that will be forever known as "The Lickliter Years"

Going to the NIT gives Iowa the chance for more exposure with winnings (and more recruiting coups), more practices, and being exposed to various situations beneficial to players and coaches.

I vote NIT rather than a one and done against a high seed in the NCAA.
This team still has a lot to learn.

NCAA! I'm not worried about getting pounded by anyone. I think losing a close game we appear to have won is far more likely...but I can live with it just like all of the others. If we end up in the NIT I want to make it to MSG...maybe even win the thing.

Going to the NIT gives Iowa the chance for more exposure with winnings (and more recruiting coups), more practices, and being exposed to various situations beneficial to players and coaches.

I vote NIT rather than a one and done against a high seed in the NCAA.
This team still has a lot to learn.

Nope, not really...no clue who even won last year and don't care

Forget Big Dance, I never wanted to thru Northwestern State game again. I rather go to NIT and played few more games.

I know Stormin likes these kinds of threads. :p

.... have Iowa somehow miraculously make it into the NCAA & get pounded in a first or second round loss or have Iowa make a nice run in the NIT such as to a semifinal game or championship game?

Which would be better for the program at this point in the development of Iowa basketball under Fran McCaffery?

Debate please.

I would rather make a run in the NIT. That would be a huge program builder and absolutely get our guys prepared for the Final Four run we know they can make next year IF they can be the "Indiana" of the conference like many believe.

Latest posts