Complaining about the officiating is annoying

Pretty sure he made that clear. The refs made some horrible calls, but Iowa's lack of rebounding was more horrible.

Not really, Spank blamed the lack of over the back calls for them getting rebounds

Doesnt matter - everything about this game sucked

Other than McCabe's last foul the calls on him were fine. He plays sloppy out of position defense and has no one to blame but himself for constantly being in foul trouble. Is it a coincidence he cant stay on the floor over the last month?

His 5th foul was horrible tho

Yeah, the "foul" he made when Crawford jumped over his back to start the 2nd half was his fault.....

There were so many bad calls today it really was a joke. These refs were not with it today. And when you have a 1 possession game late, officiating does make a difference on who wins and loses. You can argue our play at the end of the first half was the reason we lost, but to say officiating does not affect the outcome is just wrong.

Bottom line:
Iowa played sloppy and did not execute on offense. This wasn't anything NW did, but Iowa shot their foot so many times in this one. Stupid passes, awful decisions. Losing to a team like NW is upsetting because they aren't talented. THeir 1-3-1 isn't anything special, but they make Iowa look so slow. When you add the fact that the refs were just completely ridiculous, it makes them stand out so much more.

Iowa was bad in stretches. The refs were atrocious in stretches.
Just the way it was.

McCabe gets called for a lot of fouls because he doesn't always get to his spot, he reaches a lot, gets half his body were it should be, and is undersized at the 5. However, today, 3 of those 5 fouls were junk, reputation fouls on him. His 5th was laughable. Clumsy Shurna trips over his own feet and McCabe gets nailed for it.

Yeah, the "foul" he made when Crawford jumped over his back to start the 2nd half was his fault.....

There were so many bad calls today it really was a joke. These refs were not with it today. And when you have a 1 possession game late, officiating does make a difference on who wins and loses. You can argue our play at the end of the first half was the reason we lost, but to say officiating does not affect the outcome is just wrong.

I never said officiating doesnt affect the outcome - of course it did. I just think Iowa played terrible and those placing sole blame on the officials is ridiculous. I guess my only point is that the officiating was bad but Iowa had a worse game than the refs if that makes any sense

Also, I hate Northwestern

McCabe gets called for a lot of fouls because he doesn't always get to his spot, he reaches a lot, gets half his body were it should be, and is undersized at the 5. However, today, 3 of those 5 fouls were junk, reputation fouls on him. His 5th was laughable. Clumsy Shurna trips over his own feet and McCabe gets nailed for it.

The 5th was pathetic...Shurna missed the FT so its impact was minimal but it was an anticipation call from the officials which shouldnt happen

The 5th was pathetic...Shurna missed the FT so its impact was minimal but it was an anticipation call from the officials which shouldnt happen

Its impact was huge!
It took McCabe out of the game!

Maybe if he's in there, Iowa gets more board at the end. Probably not. BUt a call like that, to take out a player, is bullsh*t.

Refs Were Terrible, we would have won the game if we hadn't given the game away in the first half, but some of the calls were atrocious, especially considering the importance of the game to both teams.....

Would have been nice to see a fairly called contest today, didn't happen.....

We lost the game ourselves, but the refs prevented us from winning it.....

:D

if I were mccaffery I'd just take one for the team and blow up ed hightower and the rest of the big 10 officials in his PC. He'd get fined, but man it would be worth every penny.

Its impact was huge!

Maybe if he's in there, Iowa gets more board at the end. Probably not. BUt a call like that, to take out a player, is bullsh*t.

He fouled out with 1:18 to go....what boards were missed? The only off rebound NW got was that fluke play from NW guard when he threw it off the bottom of the rim

I agree he shouldnt have fouled out on that BS call but based on how the final 80 seconds played out I dont see where McCabe makes an impact

I was at the game, Hightower is garbage. There were no over the back calls and many times. There was one I remember specifically where a NW guy had his arm around ogelsby I believe and pulled him to the ground on a rebound with no call. One time White was going for a rebound and was shoved to the ground from behind. I've never heard so much booing in my life. It was pathetic. Now, that being said, Iowa should have made more free throws and taken better care of the ball. So Iowa had plenty of chances. But it doesn't help when you can get a call the whole game.

Its impact was huge!

I think the bigger impact was the last 2 FTs by Marcatulio would have been with the pressure of a 1 and 1 as that would have been only our 9th team foul. Instead the pressure was mostly off with 2 shots and he drilled both.

Impact might have been NW maintaining possession of the ball, Shurna was getting close to a ten second call and was off balance, falling to the floor, could just as easily been called traveling.....

We would have had the ball with much more time to set a play or get a better shot, although the shot we had was a good one. Still had the opportunity to win the game despite all.....

:)

Impact might have been NW maintaining possession of the ball, Shurna was getting close to a ten second call and was off balance, falling to the floor, could just as easily been called traveling.....

We would have had the ball with much more time to set a play or get a better shot, although the shot we had was a good one. Still had the opportunity to win the game despite all.....

He missed the FT so we got possession right away. The last free throws not being a 1 and 1 is a good point but there were only 2 seconds left and we had timeouts so it woulda been a long shot anyways

I was at the game, Hightower is garbage. There were no over the back calls and many times. There was one I remember specifically where a NW guy had his arm around ogelsby I believe and pulled him to the ground on a rebound with no call. One time White was going for a rebound and was shoved to the ground from behind. I've never heard so much booing in my life. It was pathetic. Now, that being said, Iowa should have made more free throws and taken better care of the ball. So Iowa had plenty of chances. But it doesn't help when you can get a call the whole game.
Thanks for the Eye Witness account, I think Hightower thrives on the crowd's displeasure.....

Bottom line is that we threw the game away with turnovers, and didn't help ourselves with poor free throw shooting in a very important game.....

We missed some free throws early, but at the end of the day, the free throw shooting wasn't that bad (Iowa was 17-22, Northwestern was 17-23).

The real problem was the fact that we attempted 17 fewer shots, and we can blame that on poor defensive rebounding and turnovers.

We missed some free throws early, but at the end of the day, the free throw shooting wasn't that bad (Iowa was 17-22, Northwestern was 17-23).

The real problem was the fact that we attempted 17 fewer shots, and we can blame that on poor defensive rebounding and turnovers.
Not too shabby on free throws, seemed worse at the time......

Seventeen fewer shots is telling. Just make 25% of those shots and we win.....

Take away their points off turnovers and we win.,....

To say the officiating lost this game for Iowa is ridiculous, but to say that this crew was anything close to decent for either team is just as ridiculous. This crew is beyond brutal.

Latest posts