Comparing Ferentz and Fry

Let's look at this differently and what is really important and factual. If I was an AD at a progrma such as Iowa I would have certain benchmarks that need to be met.

1. What was the average $ per win of the two. I think if you based expectations on this I am sure Fry has a better ROI.
2. What was each guys record vs Iowa St?
3. WHat was each guys record in trophy games?
4. How many losses did Fry have in comparison to teams like Western and Central Michigan?
5. What was the win loss record against below .500 teams in the conference each year.
6. Additonally Ferentz has never won a conference title outright in his 14 years. Both were shared.
7. How many times has each have had their team ranked #1 or #2 in the nation?
8. Record vs Northwestern. I would probably take this out becuase this isn't your dad's NW, but then again it is Northwestern and Iowa pays it's coach OSU Michigan money and I am sure they are not allowed to lose to NW.

I think you may get a little different view point, but I could be wrong.

1. Inflation, man.
2. Iowa State was garbage under Fry, they're good under Ferentz. Apples and Oranges.
3. Same applies to trophy games; Minnesota was garbage then, and still is. Wiscy is good now, was garbage then.
4. Other teams have gotten better, too. CMU was not a terrible team.
5. Don't know.
6. With one more conference member, this is nothing to sneeze at.
7. KF has done better in the rankings.
8. So we have a NW problem, big deal. Is that what you're going to measure the success of a program by, their record against NW?

I never said KF was BETTER than Fry, just that we shouldn't be throwing him under the bus so much. Maybe I'll feel differently in 5 years, but I feel like he's got the tools to right the ship.

Kirk Ferentz is better with the o-line and chewing gum then Fry. Other then that, Ferentz has nothing on Fry.

So I was surprised at how much animosity there is towards Kirk Ferentz on this site. It's definitely not this bad on the Rivals site. So I decided to do some research.

Ferentz has been here 14 years and has exactly 100 wins. 2 conference championships. 6-4 in bowl games.

Fry won 105 games in his first 14 years. 3 conference championships. 4-5-1 in bowl games.

That's pretty evenly matched, with a slight edge to Ferentz for a better bowl record and putting more players in the NFL.

I wish people would get off the Ferentz hate train. We have a great football coach who can and probably will eclipse Fry. Everyone has down years, we will get better and Ferentz will lead us there.

Shakes my head at the idea ferentz can turn this around. Did you watch this season? Did Fry ever have an offense that came close to 114th in the nation?

All due respect to you, but I don't think you realize just how bad he has let this program fall and how horrible things actually are right now.

FreedComanche

Shakes my head at the idea ferentz can turn this around. Did you watch this season? Did Fry ever have an offense that came close to 114th in the nation?

All due respect to you, but I don't think you realize just how bad he has let this program fall and how horrible things actually are right now.

FreedComanche

He never had a QB as bad as JVB, either. Or Greg Davis. Those two are 99.9% responsible for the crap show that was our offense this year. Two easy fixes.

This comparison has been done a ton of times (myself included)

Have to say this was one of the weakest with very little evidence and a conclusion with the consistency of cottage cheese.

He never had a QB as bad as JVB, either. Or Greg Davis. Those two are 99.9% responsible for the crap show that was our offense this year. Two easy fixes.

Again, you have to put both of those on ferentz. He, 1) hired Davis and did not have to keep him around for next year, 2) let JVB take every snap this season as terrible as it was without putting somebody else in who sure as heck could not have done any worse.

ferentz is most definitely responsible for both.

You know, as I think about this, I think you might be trying to jerk our chains. Not sure you are serious about this.

FreedComanche

Again, you have to put both of those on ferentz. He, 1) hired Davis and did not have to keep him around for next year, 2) let JVB take every snap this season as terrible as it was without putting somebody else in who sure as heck could not have done any worse.

ferentz is most definitely responsible for both.

You know, as I think about this, I think you might be trying to jerk our chains. Not sure you are serious about this.

FreedComanche

clown-warning.jpg

So I was surprised at how much animosity there is towards Kirk Ferentz on this site. It's definitely not this bad on the Rivals site. So I decided to do some research.

Ferentz has been here 14 years and has exactly 100 wins. 2 conference championships. 6-4 in bowl games.

Fry won 105 games in his first 14 years. 3 conference championships. 4-5-1 in bowl games.

That's pretty evenly matched, with a slight edge to Ferentz for a better bowl record and putting more players in the NFL.

I wish people would get off the Ferentz hate train. We have a great football coach who can and probably will eclipse Fry. Everyone has down years, we will get better and Ferentz will lead us there.

One time I had a Ford Pinto and I traded it for a Merury Bobcat.

Had message boards been around when Hayden were at Iowa, he would have been shredded on the message boards during the 90's. 92,93,94 seasons were dog ****. 1996, they came back and rebounded a little bit and 97 was a huge dissapointment. In 98, Iowa was horrendous again. In 1990, Iowa won some big games and had some huge dissapointments too, while finishing 8-4, Iowa qualified to play in the Rose Bowl. 1991 was an excellent team, but the fake punt at the end of the half against Michigan that Hayden tried? He would have been torn apart on these boards for that call and rightfully so. He would have been ripped just like Ferentz today had all these avenues existed for people to publically state their opinions.

Had message boards been around when Hayden were at Iowa, he would have been shredded on the message boards during the 90's. 92,93,94 seasons were dog ****. 1996, they came back and rebounded a little bit and 97 was a huge dissapointment. In 98, Iowa was horrendous again. In 1990, Iowa won some big games and had some huge dissapointments too, while finishing 8-4, Iowa qualified to play in the Rose Bowl. 1991 was an excellent team, but the fake punt at the end of the half against Michigan that Hayden tried? He would have been torn apart on these boards for that call and rightfully so. He would have been ripped just like Ferentz today had all these avenues existed for people to publically state their opinions.

Exactly, that's my point. Even fry was bad in the 90s. Everyone has down years, and Ferentz is no different. Not sure where all the Kirk hate is coming from.

No comparison, I like them both and am glad Iowa has had 2 great coaches over the years. But I do wish KF would stop being so stubborn and stop relying on old and what's worked in the past when it comes to the offense. Do like ole Hayden did in the early 80s and go out and get top notch, young, coaches with fresh ideas.

Hayden knew when it was time for him to move along and pass the torch, hopefully Ferentz will do the same some day.

Since most of Hayden's career precedes the 85 scholarship limit, comparing their records against teams like Northwestern and Iowa State is pointless. I think the best of the BIG10 were generally better during Hayden's day (which also explains all of the massive blowout losses he suffered at their hand) but the worst programs have come along way since his time. Fry had some true gimme's on the schedule every single year, including in-conference every year.

Kirk has 2 co-championships which = 0 rose bowls.

Fry had 3 real championships = 3 rose bowls.

The End

Wow. Wrong on all points.

Fry's 1981 was a co-championship and his 1990 title was shared WITH THREE OTHER TEAMS.

So that is 1 outright and 2 shared, and 3 Rose Bowl games in 20 years.

Ferentz has 2 shared titles (one of them a perfect 8-0 conf. record) and has 2 Orange Bowls in 14 years.

The Ferentz legacy (and how he will be remembered) will be determined during the next 3-5 years.

The jury is still out.

Ok here's a question we can add to this thread:

If Ferentz left for the NFL before this downfall, would Ferentz go down as a legend in Iowa history? Say he left in 2002 or 2004. Would 4 or 6 years at Iowa be enough to consider him a legendary coach? He completely turned the program around, so I think if he wanted to go down as a Hawk legend, he should've gone to the NFL beforehand. However, back then, I begged for him to stay.

Since most of Hayden's career precedes the 85 scholarship limit, comparing their records against teams like Northwestern and Iowa State is pointless. I think the best of the BIG10 were generally better during Hayden's day (which also explains all of the massive blowout losses he suffered at their hand) but the worst programs have come along way since his time. Fry had some true gimme's on the schedule every single year, including in-conference every year.

Great points! There's a lot more parity in college football today, which makes Ferentz's record look even more impressive.

Completely agree that the next 5 years will determine Ferentz'a legacy. He could continue the slide and be viewed as a guy who inherited a gold mine and ran it out of business, or he could eclipse Hayden Fry. I would bet money on the latter.

Latest posts