Comparing Ferentz and Fry

NottiBoy

Banned
So I was surprised at how much animosity there is towards Kirk Ferentz on this site. It's definitely not this bad on the Rivals site. So I decided to do some research.

Ferentz has been here 14 years and has exactly 100 wins. 2 conference championships. 6-4 in bowl games.

Fry won 105 games in his first 14 years. 3 conference championships. 4-5-1 in bowl games.

That's pretty evenly matched, with a slight edge to Ferentz for a better bowl record and putting more players in the NFL.

I wish people would get off the Ferentz hate train. We have a great football coach who can and probably will eclipse Fry. Everyone has down years, we will get better and Ferentz will lead us there.

So I was surprised at how much animosity there is towards Kirk Ferentz on this site. It's definitely not this bad on the Rivals site. So I decided to do some research.

Ferentz has been here 14 years and has exactly 100 wins. 2 conference championships. 6-4 in bowl games.

Fry won 105 games in his first 14 years. 3 conference championships. 4-5-1 in bowl games.

That's pretty evenly matched, with a slight edge to Ferentz for a better bowl record and putting more players in the NFL.

I wish people would get off the Ferentz hate train. We have a great football coach who can and probably will eclipse Fry. Everyone has down years, we will get better and Ferentz will lead us there.

It is but they do play more games a year now than they did when Fry was coach.

KF is also one of if not the worst in game coaches in ALL of football, so while he might be a great "guy" he can't coach for crap in games.

And, not to beat a dead horse, expectations are higher for Ferentz for a variety of reasons but mostly because where his salary ranks doesn't align with where the program ranks.

I likes turltes

I-like-zombie-turtles.jpg

It is but they do play more games a year now than they did when Fry was coach.

KF is also one of if not the worst in game coaches in ALL of football, so while he might be a great "guy" he can't coach for crap in games.[/QUOTE]

Yes, we all know of KF's brain cramps during games. Steve Alford was a very good recruiter, but he didnt develop players like KF does, and Alford was a lousy in-game coach, terrible at times.

Alford didnt have the huge contract and he was basically chased out of town.

I want KF to have a couple years to turn it around, get the team back in the top 25 and then retire so maybe in my last years we can have a dynamic offense with an innovative young coach.

And, not to beat a dead horse, expectations are higher for Ferentz for a variety of reasons but mostly because where his salary ranks doesn't align with where the program ranks.

That's a fair point. He was handed a better program than Fry was. But I also think he took it to greater heights. That 2002 team could have been a title contender if it weren't for one stinking game. Plus, I also think the competition has gotten better and our schedule is much harder than it was during Fry's time.

He'll get us back. We've got all the tools, and we're usually just a few pieces away.

Kirk has 2 co-championships which = 0 rose bowls.

Fry had 3 real championships = 3 rose bowls.

The End

Kirk has 2 co-championships which = 0 rose bowls.

Fry had 3 real championships = 3 rose bowls.

The End

Not so fast. Championships and Rose Bowl appearances are determined differently now than when Fry coached. Jon did an analysis nto to long ago. Fry wouldn't have as many "real" championships if they calculated things using the same criteria Ferentz has to meet.

Plus, I also think the competition has gotten better and our schedule is much harder than it was during Fry's time.

I certainly disagree. KF plays against a generally weak non-conf schedule. the big 10 is poop compared to what it used to be, purdue used to be much better, as did Illinois, granted ISU and Northwestern were terrible in the '80s, but minnesota with good ole Lou Holtz was much better,

Fry played a pretty tough non-conf schedule, look it up , a home and home with Miami, etc.

Fry is a much better in game coach than KF, half his bowl losses were in the grandaddy the rose bowl

Hayden also didn't have Ped State to deal with most of the time.

What do you mean, Haydens hawks played Penn st several times in the first 15 years I think, chuck long and ronnie harmon team won at PSU in 83 or 84, they lost to PSU twice in Kinnick I believe before psu joined the league

I'm not sure I agree with this. Especially this year.

I certainly disagree. KF plays against a generally weak non-conf schedule. the big 10 is poop compared to what it used to be, purdue used to be much better, as did Illinois, granted ISU and Northwestern were terrible in the '80s, but minnesota with good ole Lou Holtz was much better,

Fry played a pretty tough non-conf schedule, look it up , a home and home with Miami, etc.

Fry is a much better in game coach than KF, half his bowl losses were in the grandaddy the rose bowl

I was mostly talking about how adding Ped State made it that much harder to win in the BoneG. Plus, little brother has been a lot better under Ferentz than they were under Fry, so I really do think the schedule has gotten tougher.

Plus, as people have pointed out, NW was garbage under Fry. Wiscy wasn't good yet, either.

Let's look at this differently and what is really important and factual. If I was an AD at a progrma such as Iowa I would have certain benchmarks that need to be met.

1. What was the average $ per win of the two. I think if you based expectations on this I am sure Fry has a better ROI.
2. What was each guys record vs Iowa St?
3. WHat was each guys record in trophy games?
4. How many losses did Fry have in comparison to teams like Western and Central Michigan?
5. What was the win loss record against below .500 teams in the conference each year.
6. Additonally Ferentz has never won a conference title outright in his 14 years. Both were shared.
7. How many times has each have had their team ranked #1 or #2 in the nation?
8. Record vs Northwestern. I would probably take this out becuase this isn't your dad's NW, but then again it is Northwestern and Iowa pays it's coach OSU Michigan money and I am sure they are not allowed to lose to NW.

I think you may get a little different view point, but I could be wrong.

I was mostly talking about how adding Ped State made it that much harder to win in the BoneG. Plus, little brother has been a lot better under Ferentz than they were under Fry, so I really do think the schedule has gotten tougher.

Plus, as people have pointed out, NW was garbage under Fry. Wiscy wasn't good yet, either.

NWestern seems better because other B1g teams are down, even Mich. Minny, Indiana, Purdue, and Illiois have been crap, and Iowa has handed and given up about 4 -5 wins to NW in the last decade.

Look at NWs bowl record and you see they are not that strong (but they do suffer the same fate as many B1g teams in playing higher rated opponents in the bowls).

No question Northwestern is better now. Also KF has got us in a couple Orange Bowls ( BCS ) which couldnt have happened back then. The Athletic dept stands on its own now. ( thats the reason fo KF making so much money ) I dont think it did back then. I love both guys

Back then going to a Bowl game meant something.

Not so fast. Championships and Rose Bowl appearances are determined differently now than when Fry coached. Jon did an analysis nto to long ago. Fry wouldn't have as many "real" championships if they calculated things using the same criteria Ferentz has to meet.

That was incorrect information and was corrected.

That's a fair point. He was handed a better program than Fry was. But I also think he took it to greater heights. That 2002 team could have been a title contender if it weren't for one stinking game. Plus, I also think the competition has gotten better and our schedule is much harder than it was during Fry's time.

He'll get us back. We've got all the tools, and we're usually just a few pieces away.

and that one stinking game became a trade mark attitude towards the Clones.

Latest posts