Compare Resumes: Iowa and ISU

DunderMifflinHk

Most bracketologists are saying ISU is and and Iowa is out. Let's compare the resumes.

ISU - 18-8 (8-5) Big 12
RPI - 44
BPI - 33
Quality Wins - KSU RPI 19 (BPI 34), Oklahoma RPI 18 (BPI 37), Baylor RPI 60 (BPI 40)(twice)

Bad Losses - @Texas Tech RPI 220 (BPI 216) and @Texas RPI 126 (BPI 99)

IOWA - 17-9 (6-7) Big 10
RPI - 79
BPI - 50
Quality Wins - Minnesota RPI 15 (BPI 22) , Wisconsin RPI 25 (BPI 15), ISU RPI 44 (BPI 33) and UNI RPI 70 (BPI 58).
Bad Losses - @Virginia Tech RPI 164 (BPI 141) and @Purdue RPI 122 (BPI 122)

Our non-conference schedule is killing us. Even though Iowa beat ISU head to head and have very similar quality wins and bad losses, ISU would get the nod.

Pretty much a draw. They have a better conference record in an easier conference, but their loss to Texas Tech and head-to-head loss to Iowa brings them back down to Iowa. Right now ISU would get the nod as much as I hate to say it, but there's more games to be played.

Pretty much a draw. They have a better conference record in an easier conference, but their loss to Texas Tech and head-to-head loss to Iowa brings them back down to Iowa. Right now ISU would get the nod as much as I hate to say it, but there's more games to be played.

It seems very close but sadly, ISU is easily in on most projections, while we aren't close.

Most bracketologists are saying ISU is and and Iowa is out. Let's compare the resumes.

ISU - 18-8 (8-5) Big 12
RPI - 44
BPI - 33
Quality Wins - KSU RPI 19 (BPI 34), Oklahoma RPI 18 (BPI 37), Baylor RPI 60 (BPI 40)(twice)

Bad Losses - @Texas Tech RPI 220 (BPI 216) and @Texas RPI 126 (BPI 99)

IOWA - 17-9 (6-7) Big 10
RPI - 79
BPI - 50
Quality Wins - Minnesota RPI 15 (BPI 22) , Wisconsin RPI 25 (BPI 15), ISU RPI 44 (BPI 33) and UNI RPI 70 (BPI 58).
Bad Losses - @Virginia Tech RPI 164 (BPI 141) and @Purdue RPI 122 (BPI 122)
Our non-conference schedule is killing us. Even though Iowa beat ISU head to head and have very similar quality wins and bad losses, ISU would get the nod.

I think the close losses in conference, home and road, are hurting more than the weak OOC schedule. Let's face it. If they beat IND or MSU at Home and won one of the 3 road games (Purdue, Minn, or Wis), they would be sitting at 8-5 in conference and 19-7 overall, with one or two more quality victories and one less bad loss (Assuming win over Purdue). Or even if they beat Purdue and Minn on the road and still lost those two home games. In either case they would be IN, regardles of the OOC strength of schedule.

It seems very close but sadly, ISU is easily in on most projections, while we aren't close.

Yes, but they all know Iowa is lurking. If you just do the eye test right now Iowa would be in over Minnesota. Who knows, maybe they'll let Iowa in since it's been awhile, I could only hope that was the case.

I think the close losses in conference, home and road, are hurting more than the weak OOC schedule. Let's face it. If they beat IND or MSU at Home and won one of the 3 road games (Purdue, Minn, or Wis), they would be sitting at 8-5 in conference and 19-7 overall, with one or two more quality victories and one less bad loss (Assuming win over Purdue). Or even if they beat Purdue and Minn on the road and still lost those two home games. In either case they would be IN, regardles of the OOC strength of schedule.

No point in dwelling on the what if's of past games. Do that for ISU, OT loss @ KU and OT loss @ Texas, they would be 20-6 (9-3) then we're not even having this debate. Can really only look at full body of past work and possible future outcomes, not what if's of past games.

The Big 12 is a joke this year. Kansas is the best team and they lost to TCU. Can you envision Indiana losing to Penn State? I didn't think so. And i think Penn State is better than TCU and Texas Tech.

Playing Cinncy, and UNLV (on their home court) , along with BYU and Iowa, has helped ISU's non-conference SOS greatly even though they went 1-3..

Also listening to one of the committee members on the radio, the guy from Xavier I believe, he mentioned how if a conference plays a true round robin, that is the best indicator of where a team fits within the conference.

Guess his point a team like Iowa may be in a tough conference, but if you just pull the teams that they played 2 times and put them in their own conference how would that rate.

In Iowa's case it would not include Michigan , MSU, Illiinois, Ohio State it would take the quality of the conference down a few notches.. You have Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minny, NW, Purdue, Penn State, Nebraska.

Nothing Iowa can do about this, you can only play who is in front of you, but seems to be hurting Iowa a bit..

Anyway that is kind of the feeling this guy conveyed.

Last edited:
Good OP. good comparison. Hate those little fockers. They have one more win than us in their dog crap conference and we have the head to head win by almost double digits. Put them in our non dog crap conference and they don't have five wins.

Playing Cinncy, and UNLV (on their home court) , along with BYU and Iowa, has helped ISU's non-conference SOS greatly even though they went 1-3..

Also listening to one of the committee members on the radio, the guy from Xavier I believe, he mentioned how if a conference plays a true round robin, that is the best indicator of where a team fits within the conference.

Guess his point a team like Iowa may be in a tough conference, but if you just pull the teams that they played 2 times and put them in their own conference how would that rate.

In Iowa's case it would not include Michigan , MSU, Illiinois, Ohio State it would take the quality of the conference down a few notches.. You have Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minny, NW, Purdue, Penn State, Nebraska.

Nothing Iowa can do about this, you can only play who is in front of you, but seems to be hurting Iowa a bit..

Those are some excellent points

The only major conference that plays a round robin is the Big 12.

Mountain west plays a round robin, i would consider them major in hoops and that is why over half of that conference might get bids. That is what like the 3rd or 4th toughest league this years, those teams can truly say the played in the 3rd or 4th best league because they played everybody.

What the guy says makes some sense, just because a team is in the toughest conference overall does not mean that they should receive the full benefit of that high rating if they don't play all the top teams twice, the teams that help drive up the conference rating.

I don't think he is saying this only applies to the Big 10 but rather to other conferences too..
Sounds like they kind of create these virtual conference of teams you play twice to help the compare teams across all conferences.

Last edited:
Mountain West is not a major conference. Ofc they play a round robin, there are only 9 teams in that conference. They have never gotten half their conference into the NCAA tournament.

It'd be nice to be playing in the weak B12 right about now.

Why would the results be much different in the B12, since we didn't play the upper echelon that much in the B1G. Playing KU and KSU twice would maybe be 2 losses plus having to play at OSU, Baylor, ISU, and OU. These 2 conferences are actually pretty similar except maybe at the very top.

Latest posts