Colton Iverson transferring from Minny

Weird,leaving before his senior year? Similar to Tony Freeman's departure,cept that Lick wanted him to leave,whereas Tubby tried to keep Iverson.
Funny how Tubby insisted he would not be released to any Big Ten teams or teams on their schedule next year...hey,Tubby, there is a rule in place about kids transferring within the conference already...at least there was before Wisky broke it by bringing in Brust from Iowa...now, precedence is set,and Iverson should fight it,if he wants to go to another Big Ten school....hey Colt,Bo is losing Leuer and Nankavil...open for business....nice job,Big Ten!

ISU, where else. Hoiberg's "express" recruiting. Don't waste 2-3 years working on high school kids. Just make a few phone calls.

Has Hoiberg made the call yet?

It is not out of the realm of possibilities that he is ISU bound. They seem to have a revolving door to more than match what has happened at Iowa and elsewhere. I'm not sure what it says about ISU if he lands there. Maybe the Cyclones should become the Mayflowers, king of movers.

Freddy must of realized he needed a post player for his 2012-2013 team and made a call, anyone taking bets that he ends up in Ames?

It is not out of the realm of possibilities that he is ISU bound. They seem to have a revolving door to more than match what has happened at Iowa and elsewhere. I'm not sure what it says about ISU if he lands there. Maybe the Cyclones should become the Mayflowers, king of movers.

He was recruited by ISU out of high school.

Probably not going to happen though. Can't afford another transfer that will sit two years to play one.

He would be a great get for ISU though. Even if it is back home, I don't see him transferring to sd st. He would just kill that whole conference.

Wait, is he a thug?! Nah, then ISU wont want him. Everyone of their transfers has a criminal record.

Iverson is a big physical post player with very limited offensive skills, tough defender, decent rebounder, but limited passer and not very good at finishing around the basket, no outside shot, 50% free throw shooter, next yr the gophers will have 4 post players better, he was playing 7-9 mns. this yr and next yr did not look good. im betting USD or SDSU where his dad was a star, or even a colorado state

ISU, where else. Hoiberg's "express" recruiting. Don't waste 2-3 years working on high school kids. Just make a few phone calls.

ISU has very little depth, and virtually NO upperclassmen left over from the team Hoiberg took over.

Clones 2011-2012 starting 5 if ISU didn't bring in transfers....
SR, soph, soph, soph, soph and a rotation of freshmen and sophomores.
There would be no junior scholarship players in the mix next winter at all. Its one thing to get a sophmore or two out there for a lot of minutes, its another when 7 of your top 8 players are underclassmen...and now playing in an 18 game conference schedule vs the likes of Kansas and Texas with perennial bottom feeders NU/CU gone.

In Hoiberg's 4th year all those sophs will be seniors, and 4 of the 5 transfers will be gone by then. They'll get the opportunity to play and develop the next few years, and ultimately be relied on to shine in their senior season.

If Fred wasn't facing such a wasteland of experienced upperclassmen, he doesn't bring those guys in. Unless you have the fab 5, you don't win a lot of games in conference with 4 and 5 sophomores on the floor all at once.

Last edited:
ISU has very little depth, and virtually NO upperclassmen left over from the team Hoiberg took over.

Clones 2011-2012 starting 5 if ISU didn't bring in transfers....
SR, soph, soph, soph, soph and a rotation of freshmen and sophomores.
There would be no junior scholarship players in the mix next winter at all. Its one thing to get a sophmore or two out there for a lot of minutes, its another when 7 of your top 8 players are underclassmen...and now playing in an 18 game conference schedule vs the likes of Kansas and Texas with perennial bottom feeders NU/CU gone.

In Hoiberg's 4th year all those sophs will be seniors, and 4 of the 5 transfers will be gone by then. They'll get the opportunity to play and develop the next few years, and ultimately be relied on to shine in their senior season.

If Fred wasn't facing such a wasteland of experienced upperclassmen, he doesn't bring those guys in. Unless you have the fab 5, you don't win a lot of games in conference with 4 and 5 sophomores on the floor all at once.

Logic is also fun!

I suspect that if Fran had gone the route Fred is going, Iowa fans would be saying things like 'Well, we had to do it, Lickliter left the program in shambles'.

It will be interesting to see how this strategy plays out for ISU.

If they do well next year and challenge for an NCAA bid, and do so with few character issues, then the risk will have paid off for them, fast tracking their program back to respectability. As for what their strategy is in the long run as to transfers en masse, my guess is they'll be open to some, but this is something they felt they could do to hit the fast forward button on the rebuilding job and it won't be something they do long term as a regular and big piece of their recruiting strategy.

If it does not work, if the team lacks chemistry, etc, they will have been no worse off than they were when Hoiberg arrived.

The big risk is if some of the players that have a checkered past would revert to those ways and cause some trouble while at ISU. But people deserve second chances, especially when they make mistakes when they are young so I am certainly not going to roll them before there is an ISU-stint related transgression.

The only issue I had with all of these transfers, and its not a big one, is that it flies in the face of Jamie Pollard's words on transfers he spoke at the end of the McDermott era...but even then, I don't think he ever condemned the phenomenon, rather, just acknowledged that it was a sign of the times.

There is more than one way to build a program and Fran and Fred are going at it from different angles, both hoping to reach the same destination

The big risk is if some of the players that have a checkered past would revert to those ways and cause some trouble while at ISU. But people deserve second chances, especially when they make mistakes when they are young so I am certainly not going to roll them before there is an ISU-stint related transgression.

I don't know all the ins and outs of eligibility with the transfers if they screw up and ISU were to dismiss them, but this may be the last opportunity for Allen, and Lucious. Royce White was a big time recruit in HS, who has been shelved for 2 years now, and any issues at ISU could lead to him not playing college ball for 3 consecutive years.

These guys are staring down the loss of their livelihood, and NBA aspirations if they don't stay squeaky clean. Their backs are againstand time is running out the wall . I'd like to believe that's an eye opener for each one, and motivation to cause no further problems.

I guess I don't understand why some are slamming ISU for bringing in some transfer recruits with questionable backgrounds. It's nearly impossible to build a program back up with nothing but teachers pets. Fran the man knows it too...which is why we have offered Hubbard. I would love to have the kind of talent ISU will have next year. It will be interesting to see how Fred can coach em.

Iverson is a big physical post player with very limited offensive skills, tough defender, decent rebounder, but limited passer and not very good at finishing around the basket, no outside shot, 50% free throw shooter, next yr the gophers will have 4 post players better, he was playing 7-9 mns. this yr and next yr did not look good. im betting USD or SDSU where his dad was a star, or even a colorado state

Actually, Iverson appeared in all 31 games this year,averaging 18.4 minutes,which was 5th on the roster at the end of the year.
He averaged 5.4 pts,5.0 rebs. and shot 45% from the field,54% from the line.
Now, Tubby has talked up this redshirt frosh,Eliason,so maybe he is better than Iverson,but I still have to think that Tubby tried very hard(based on the article) to keep Colt around,as senior big men who have started off and on since their frosh years are pretty valuable in the physical Big Ten.

If Mbakwe leaves also,that will only leave Sampson as an experienced big man....and weaken Minny considerably. I see Iowa having an opportunity to at least split with Minny next year,and maybe leapfrog them in the standings. Iowa needs to find teams they can leapfrog in this league...Minny is on the list now,along with PSU,Wisky,Ill,Neb,and NW...5th would be miraculous....but offseason is time for hope,right?

Actually, Iverson appeared in all 31 games this year,averaging 18.4 minutes,which was 5th on the roster at the end of the year.
He averaged 5.4 pts,5.0 rebs. and shot 45% from the field,54% from the line.
Now, Tubby has talked up this redshirt frosh,Eliason,so maybe he is better than Iverson,but I still have to think that Tubby tried very hard(based on the article) to keep Colt around,as senior big men who have started off and on since their frosh years are pretty valuable in the physical Big Ten.

If Mbakwe leaves also,that will only leave Sampson as an experienced big man....and weaken Minny considerably. I see Iowa having an opportunity to at least split with Minny next year,and maybe leapfrog them in the standings. Iowa needs to find teams they can leapfrog in this league...Minny is on the list now,along with PSU,Wisky,Ill,Neb,and NW...5th would be miraculous....but offseason is time for hope,right?

Sorry, i have season tickets and I was talking about the end of the season, he went from starting and playing major minutes to sitting a lot in the last 10-12 games, I would bet it is about playing time, if Mbakwe and Sampson come back(neither or projected to be drafted as of now) and Ellison, Walker it did not look good next yr,

Sorry, i have season tickets and I was talking about the end of the season, he went from starting and playing major minutes to sitting a lot in the last 10-12 games, I would bet it is about playing time, if Mbakwe and Sampson come back(neither or projected to be drafted as of now) and Ellison, Walker it did not look good next yr,

That would certainly explain his disgruntlement with his situation at Minny.
If these other big men are better than him in practice,maybe he felt he was going to sit next year. I always thought he was a brute in there,but has definitely plateaued it appears. Iowa recruited him,and it is a shame he did not come to Iowa because he definitely would be starting at Iowa next year ahead of Brommer.

Latest posts