Colton Iverson transferring from Minny

That would certainly explain his disgruntlement with his situation at Minny.
If these other big men are better than him in practice,maybe he felt he was going to sit next year. I always thought he was a brute in there,but has definitely plateaued it appears. Iowa recruited him,and it is a shame he did not come to Iowa because he definitely would be starting at Iowa next year ahead of Brommer.

agreed! always seemed like a great kid and teammate, would have played major minutes at Iowa, he and Cole would have been beasts

@Jon I agree on all counts. That is a very fair assessment. The only thing I would say differently is that even if one of the transfers gets in trouble at ISU and he gets kicked off the team, all you lose is the scholarship for however long he was here and a little public image hit. It isn't like the program will collapse into shambles if a kid gets in trouble and gets kicked off the team.

That being said, I don't think there will be any issues with the initial 5 transfers. I know a lot less about Lucious.

ISU has very little depth, and virtually NO upperclassmen left over from the team Hoiberg took over.

Clones 2011-2012 starting 5 if ISU didn't bring in transfers....
SR, soph, soph, soph, soph and a rotation of freshmen and sophomores.
There would be no junior scholarship players in the mix next winter at all. Its one thing to get a sophmore or two out there for a lot of minutes, its another when 7 of your top 8 players are underclassmen...and now playing in an 18 game conference schedule vs the likes of Kansas and Texas with perennial bottom feeders NU/CU gone.

In Hoiberg's 4th year all those sophs will be seniors, and 4 of the 5 transfers will be gone by then. They'll get the opportunity to play and develop the next few years, and ultimately be relied on to shine in their senior season.

If Fred wasn't facing such a wasteland of experienced upperclassmen, he doesn't bring those guys in. Unless you have the fab 5, you don't win a lot of games in conference with 4 and 5 sophomores on the floor all at once.

Solid post for the most part, although Kentucky and North Carolina would disagree with the portion in bold.

I guess I don't understand why some are slamming ISU for bringing in some transfer recruits with questionable backgrounds. It's nearly impossible to build a program back up with nothing but teachers pets. Fran the man knows it too...which is why we have offered Hubbard. I would love to have the kind of talent ISU will have next year. It will be interesting to see how Fred can coach em.

And how do you build a program by renting players? Your thought process doesn't make any sense (see ISU football). So you build a program by demonstrating to high school kids that ISU is a program that is on the hunt for transfers and who will get minutes over recruits? A kid or two is one thing, but an entire team is a joke and an embarssment. Hoiberg, with all his big time NBA experience, should be able to land any recruit he wants (just ask Cyclown fan). If, and this is a big IF, this page out of Tarnkanian's book works, you are good for a year, then you lose key pieces. Does he think he can assemble this all star cast of of misfits every season?

Solid post for the most part, although Kentucky and North Carolina would disagree with the portion in bold.

Well, I was referring to ISU's stockpile of sophomores next years seeing a ton of playing time if the transfers were not signed. I really like what Calvin Godfrey showed late this year, but think the others need to improve a lot. Not a recipe for for success in year two.

The Hoiberg haters are chastising him for all the transfers. If he doesn't bring them in and instead loses with young kids(which a lot of programs would) in his 2nd season, then they'll say hes a bust and can't coach despite just not having the bodies available.

Not many outsiders wanting to acknowledge that the scholarship situation Fred walked into isn't good.

And how do you build a program by renting players? Your thought process doesn't make any sense (see ISU football). So you build a program by demonstrating to high school kids that ISU is a program that is on the hunt for transfers and who will get minutes over recruits? A kid or two is one thing, but an entire team is a joke and an embarssment. Hoiberg, with all his big time NBA experience, should be able to land any recruit he wants (just ask Cyclown fan). If, and this is a big IF, this page out of Tarnkanian's book works, you are good for a year, then you lose key pieces. Does he think he can assemble this all star cast of of misfits every season?[/QUOTE

As it stands right now ISU has as many high school recruits coming in next year as Iowa.

Last year I believe ISU brought in more high school players than Iowa.
4 I think. Add the walk on from Ames that makes 5

ISU had 1 Jr and and I don't think any sophomore's due to defections. Your solution, sign 9 high school players to fill those voids? Really?

And how do you build a program by renting players? Your thought process doesn't make any sense (see ISU football). So you build a program by demonstrating to high school kids that ISU is a program that is on the hunt for transfers and who will get minutes over recruits? A kid or two is one thing, but an entire team is a joke and an embarssment. Hoiberg, with all his big time NBA experience, should be able to land any recruit he wants (just ask Cyclown fan). If, and this is a big IF, this page out of Tarnkanian's book works, you are good for a year, then you lose key pieces. Does he think he can assemble this all star cast of of misfits every season?

Entire team of transfers? Not even close. You need to take a peek at their recruiting classes.

And how do you build a program by renting players? Your thought process doesn't make any sense (see ISU football). So you build a program by demonstrating to high school kids that ISU is a program that is on the hunt for transfers and who will get minutes over recruits? A kid or two is one thing, but an entire team is a joke and an embarssment. Hoiberg, with all his big time NBA experience, should be able to land any recruit he wants (just ask Cyclown fan). If, and this is a big IF, this page out of Tarnkanian's book works, you are good for a year, then you lose key pieces. Does he think he can assemble this all star cast of of misfits every season?[/QUOTE

As it stands right now ISU has as many high school recruits coming in next year as Iowa.

Last year I believe ISU brought in more high school players than Iowa.
4 I think. Add the walk on from Ames that makes 5

ISU had 1 Jr and and I don't think any sophomore's due to defections. Your solution, sign 9 high school players to fill those voids? Really?

There are a lot of people who will slam an Iowa State coach for anything. If someone can't see the rationale behind what Hoiberg is doing they are pretty dense. Will it blow up in his face? Maybe. But so could building a base of high school recruits who have a lot less talent than the guys Hoiberg is bringing in.

The only issue I had with all of these transfers, and its not a big one, is that it flies in the face of Jamie Pollard's words on transfers he spoke at the end of the McDermott era...but even then, I don't think he ever condemned the phenomenon, rather, just acknowledged that it was a sign of the times.

No, he basically called the transfers weak-willed and said they will struggle to commit to anything in their lives after college. This was also with Christopherson already on the roster who is by all accounts a good kid.

It was a remarkably dumb thing to say then, and it remains a remarkably dumb thing to say.

Also, ISU has few open roster spots and we are in on/in the lead for several excellent high school recruits for 2012. I can't see many transfers from here on out.

If, and this is a big IF, this page out of Tarnkanian's book works, you are good for a year, then you lose key pieces. Does he think he can assemble this all star cast of of misfits every season?

ISU is set up to get the brunt of their transfer play over the next 2 years(not 1). And White has 3 years to go. Allen and Lucious basically combine to equal a 2 year player.

The 5-6 current freshman(2010-2011) will see their share of playing time the next few years and then completely take over in their senior year(2013-2014). There's also no guarantee all the transfers start next year.
The main reason transfers have been brought in was to build up immediate depth...I don't know why only a few can remotely see why that is? The bottom line is to win games, and having capable bodies sitting around is a must.

Consider this scenario.....
If ISU had no players transferring in and stayed the course with all HS recruits, this fall would feature a roster of 95% sophomores and freshman. Roughly 11 total freshman/sophomore And only a couple of those freshman could redshirt because they need bodies on the bench.

All of Hoibergs eggs would end up in that 2 year basket, and when his 4th year rolls around he has a stacked and experienced team. Of course he probably struggles considerably in year 2 and maybe even year 3 just getting there. In that scenario, hes having to rely on a lot of young kids for years to take over when ISU gets in foul trouble, or when a game goes to O.T.

And when back to back classes graduate most all of his players a few years down the road, he then spends the next 2 years having to completely rebuild the roster AGAIN. That cycle continues until he gets his scholarships staggered better by class...and since he can barely redshirt anyone, he would need a few players to leave the program at different times to open up scholarships in other years.

Maybe Fred didn't completely need what amounts to 3 two-year players, and a three year transfer but he was left with a deep hole of scholarship issues. I don't see him having many other options to get the program back up and winning sooner than his 4th year without the transfers coming in and rounding out the team.

I suspect that if Fran had gone the route Fred is going, Iowa fans would be saying things like 'Well, we had to do it, Lickliter left the program in shambles'.

It will be interesting to see how this strategy plays out for ISU.

If they do well next year and challenge for an NCAA bid, and do so with few character issues, then the risk will have paid off for them, fast tracking their program back to respectability. As for what their strategy is in the long run as to transfers en masse, my guess is they'll be open to some, but this is something they felt they could do to hit the fast forward button on the rebuilding job and it won't be something they do long term as a regular and big piece of their recruiting strategy.

If it does not work, if the team lacks chemistry, etc, they will have been no worse off than they were when Hoiberg arrived.

The big risk is if some of the players that have a checkered past would revert to those ways and cause some trouble while at ISU. But people deserve second chances, especially when they make mistakes when they are young so I am certainly not going to roll them before there is an ISU-stint related transgression.

The only issue I had with all of these transfers, and its not a big one, is that it flies in the face of Jamie Pollard's words on transfers he spoke at the end of the McDermott era...but even then, I don't think he ever condemned the phenomenon, rather, just acknowledged that it was a sign of the times.

There is more than one way to build a program and Fran and Fred are going at it from different angles, both hoping to reach the same destination

So, I'm confused? Do you still think Fred's decision making is like that of Al Davis'?

If Pollard has a problem with the way Fred is doing things, and he may, that's his problem. It's Fred's program.

Latest posts