College Football Report - Week 1

SteveDeace

If I Had a Vote in the AP Poll
How I would rank the top 25 teams in the country based on how they’re playing now.

1. Alabama (1-0)…Clearly the headline story of the opening week was the statement made by the defending national champions.

2. LSU (1-0)…Showed off its deep stable of runners with over 300 yards on the ground against overmatched North Texas.

3. USC (1-0)…Matt Barkley’s Heisman campaign got off to a scintillating start, and the Trojans were able to rest several banged up defenders.

4. Oregon (1-0)…The starters were sat down at halftime with a 50-10 lead, so don’t let the final score against Arkansas State fool you.

5. Clemson (1-0)…Put the Orange Bowl fiasco behind them by ending a 6-game losing streak in Atlanta and defeating Auburn without All-American Sammy Watkins.

6. Georgia (1-0)…Played without five defensive starters suspended for disciplinary reasons, and they’ll need them back this week at Missouri.

7. Florida State (1-0)…When you open against Murray State and Savannah State there’s not much to say until you play a team with a pulse.

8. West Virginia (1-0)…Geno Smith put up Robert Griffin III-type numbers, and the Mountaineers picked up right where they left off in the Orange Bowl.

9. Michigan State (1-0)…Did everything it was supposed to against Boise State, and game was only close because new quarterback Andrew Maxwell struggled.

10. Nebraska (1-0)…Total domination in opener: 33 first downs, 632 yards of total offense, and only allowed 260 yards on defense.

11. Arkansas (1-0)…Got off to a slow start, and then did everything it was supposed to do against Jacksonville State.

12. Tennessee (1-0)…Victimized N.C. State with one of its most impressive season-opening efforts in many years.

13. Texas (1-0)…Had two backs rush for over a hundred yards, but more important David Ash improved his quarterback rating by almost 30 points.

14. South Carolina (1-0)…There is winning a game, and then there is surviving a game—and that’s just what the Gamecocks did in Nashville.

15. Virginia Tech (1-0)…Took overtime to defeat a Georgia Tech squad that was without five defensive starters.

16. Oklahoma (1-0)…If UTEP had even competent quarterback play the Sooners might have started the season off with a crushing loss.

17. Louisville (1-0)…Quietly posted on of the most solid performances of the opening weekend with one of their most lop-sided wins over instate rival Kentucky.

18. Michigan (0-1)…Will welcome back leading rusher Fitzgerald Toussaint from a one-game suspension.

19. Notre Dame (1-0)…Tough turn-around to avoid jet lag from Ireland with underrated rival Purdue coming to South Bend.

20. Wisconsin (1-0)…Danny O’Brien did well in his first game at quarterback, but running Montee Ball 32 times to avoid a loss to Northern Iowa wasn’t the gameplan.

21. BYU (1-0)…Spoiled Mike Leach’s debut holding Washington State to minus-5 yards rushing and just six points.

22. Baylor (1-0)…Nick Florence steps right in and throws for 341 yards and four touchdowns with no interceptions.

23. Nevada (1-0)…Used a balanced attack (over 200 yards rushing and passing) to upset California in grand opening of its renovated stadium.

24. TCU (0-0)…Horned Frogs will wait an extra week to get their season started.

25. Kansas State (1-0)…Rolled up over 300 yards rushing against Missouri State despite not featuring Collin Klein in the running game.

Honorable Mention:

26. Vanderbilt (0-1), 27. Oklahoma State (1-0), 28. Missouri (1-0), 29. Utah (1-0), 30. Iowa State (1-0).

Cheers & Jeers

Cheers to…Sam Durley. The quarterback at Division III Eureka College set a NCAA single-game record with 736 passing. Durley averaged over 21 yards per pass completion.

Jeers to…Pittsburgh Coach Paul Chryst. He lost his debut at home to FCS Youngstown State by two touchdowns. Yikes!

Cheers to…Ohio Coach Frank Solich. He might have enjoyed the most satisfying day of his long coaching career on Saturday. First, Solich guided the Bobcats to one of their biggest non-conference wins ever at Penn State. Then loathsome Pittsburgh A.D. Steve Pedersen, who fired Solich when he was at Nebraska, and his Panthers lost to Youngstown State under their third head coach in as many years.

Jeers to…Houston. Crushed at home by 35-point underdog Texas State, 30-13. Remember when the Cougars were one win away from the BCS last season?

Cheers to…Nebraska quarterback Taylor Martinez. He showed off his improved passing acumen he worked so hard on during the offseason. Martinez was 26-of-34 for 354 yards and five touchdowns, for a passer rating of 212.5.

Jeers to…Whichever coach at Michigan came up with the brilliant idea of playing cornerback Blake Countess on the punt coverage unit. Perhaps the school’s best player on defense was lost for the season to a knee injury on the first punt of the year.

Big Ones
The top five games of next weekend.

Florida at Texas A&M…The Aggies’ SEC opener is now their season opener because of Hurricane Isaac. Florida Coach Will Muschamp really needs this game.

Georgia at Missouri…James Franklin should test a Georgia defense overcoming suspensions in Tigers’ SEC opener.

Nebraska at UCLA…A chance for the Bruins to announce their return to relevance, and a chance for Taylor Martinez to prove last week wasn’t a fluke.

Washington at LSU… Keith Price is wondering about that LSU secondary minus the Honey Badger.

Iowa State at Iowa…The most underrated in-state rivalry in the country? For all he’s accomplished in Iowa City, Kirk Ferentz is just 6-7 versus the Cyclones.

Deace...great shot at Ferentz record vs. ISU. Quick question maybe you can remind all of us how many road victories ISU has on the road against BCS schools since Rhodes took the helm.

Deace...great shot at Ferentz record vs. ISU. Quick question maybe you can remind all of us how many road victories ISU has on the road against BCS schools since Rhodes took the helm.

Four if you don't count the Insight Bowl against Minnesota (probably don't count that one). Three of those coming against (at the time) ranked opponents. How many road victories against ranked BCS opponents does Iowa have in that same time span?

Couple things- You didn't do the cheers of Sam Durley justice. A lot of times people see those stats, especially in an early season game, and think sombebody was running up the scoor. His team was down 10 and won 62-55 with two scores in the final minute.

There's a reason Iowa/ISU is underrated. Nobody outside this state cares about the outcome. How often has this game been played with both team rated? It's not played for anything but braggin' rights. In other words- it's rated where it should be. If anybody thinks this game is overrated then they're overrating what people outside of our borders think of this game.

Couple things- You didn't do the cheers of Sam Durley justice. A lot of times people see those stats, especially in an early season game, and think sombebody was running up the scoor. His team was down 10 and won 62-55 with two scores in the final minute.

There's a reason Iowa/ISU is underrated. Nobody outside this state cares about the outcome. How often has this game been played with both team rated? It's not played for anything but braggin' rights. In other words- it's rated where it should be. If anybody thinks this game is overrated then they're overrating what people outside of our borders think of this game.

The answer is zero.

How's stating a simple fact taking a shot? Answer- It isn't. Touchy Iowa fan doesn't like the truth. Start beating ISU and it's a mute point because we won't have to hear stats like that. Until then your point is moot.

Four if you don't count the Insight Bowl against Minnesota (probably don't count that one). Three of those coming against (at the time) ranked opponents. How many road victories against ranked BCS opponents does Iowa have in that same time span?

I can only come up with 2, at Texas in 2010 and at Texas Tech last year and both those teams while were ranked at the time they ended up at 5-7. So it isn't like ISU beat ranked teams that ended up 10-2 or 9-3, they beat a couple of ranked teams that probably shouldn't have been ranked.

I can only come up with 2, at Texas in 2010 and at Texas Tech last year and both those teams while were ranked at the time they ended up at 5-7. So it isn't like ISU beat ranked teams that ended up 10-2 or 9-3, they beat a couple of ranked teams that probably shouldn't have been ranked.

Pretty sure kNU was ranked as well. If not, oh well.

Also, that's why I said "at the time".

You have the pinstripe bowl to hang your hat on. Congrats!

PS - you lost

Really man? You do know that Iowa lost it's bowl game last season, right? If you're going to attempt to smack-talk, at least make sure Iowa doesn't fall into the same category.

What I don't understand is the cheap shot at the Michigan coaching staff.

Seriously ... those guys are absolute geniuses and why should they be criticized for putting their best players on the field. What should they have done -- put their worst players on?

Only from Deace could this make any sense.

Really man? You do know that Iowa lost it's bowl game last season, right? If you're going to attempt to smack-talk, at least make sure Iowa doesn't fall into the same category.

you are talking about your era under Rhodes..Either way Insight > Pinstripe....Nice try though.

When will Paul make it to the BCS bowls? Not to mention win them!

You won't even be bowl eligible this year so take your trolling elsewhere

What I don't understand is the cheap shot at the Michigan coaching staff.

Seriously ... those guys are absolute geniuses and why should they be criticized for putting their best players on the field. What should they have done -- put their worst players on?

Only from Deace could this make any sense.

Especially since he is a Michigan fan

Pretty sure kNU was ranked as well. If not, oh well.

Also, that's why I said "at the time".

They might have been, but I was looking at Phil Steele's magazine and he didn't have them ranked when ISU played them.

And I guess I never answered your question, but Iowa has 1 road win over a ranked team in the last 3 years and that was at #5 Penn St.

They might have been, but I was looking at Phil Steele's magazine and he didn't have them ranked when ISU played them.

And I guess I never answered your question, but Iowa has 1 road win over a ranked team in the last 3 years and that was at #5 Penn St.
Wasn't wisconsin ranked?

Latest posts