College Football News: Iowa State to Big Ten

What does ISU bring to any power conference that they couldn't get somewhere else? Honestly, if you think ISU adds anything to a conference, you are delusional.
In the end it will not be about "bringing anything." Think what you want but that will be out the window if teams are left behind. As I stated Universities are first and foremost a non profit ran by state and federal government. They will have final say over this.

I would like to see things stay the way they are now. more conferences with about 9 -12 per conference. The hawk fans don't want ISU in the big 10 because they would rather see someone hurt vs. themselves thrive. Granted ISU doesn't bring the tradition of ND or Texas and OK. You can't have all those guys in one conference. This would hurt Iowa's chance of winning. ISU does bring geography and travel among the foes would be easy bus trips. ISU also brings a competitive team that surprises teams. Iowa and ISU are about .500 during the coach KF era. When ISU does beat IA it ruins the IA fans season. I think that is playing a major role in this discussion. It's blamed on ISU not adding anything, and they are a doormat. Well if thats the case IA has an easy win in football. There are also other sports that need to be put in the mix. However these are non revenue producing. This is a problem because everyone is thinking like the greedy bastards in NCAA and conference realignment. The games and sport are being forgotten about.
Iowa is already self-sufficient and a net payer into the B10 pot. I have nothing against ISU specifically, but I don't see the need to add teams that we will have to subsidize. I am also a traditionalist, and really don't like the idea of jumbling these old conferences around too much.

In the end it will not be about "bringing anything." Think what you want but that will be out the window if teams are left behind. As I stated Universities are first and foremost a non profit ran by state and federal government. They will have final say over this.

Government will not have the final say over if ISU is left out of the Big Ten or not. That's just silly. And I guarantee you the Big Ten, or any other conference for that matter will invite a team that doesn't add anything. Also, they wont add a team because the government of such school's state says they have to.

Government will not have the final say over if ISU is left out of the Big Ten or not. That's just silly. And I guarantee you the Big Ten, or any other conference for that matter will invite a team that doesn't add anything. Also, they wont add a team because the government of such school's state says they have to.
Yes, yes they will. But you are a typical idiot Hawk who wants nothing but bad things to happen to Iowa State University. That's fine, the lawyers and politicians will have the final say not some guy sitting in his basement running crap on HN about Iowa State University. Cause as I have said endlessly, colleges and universities are the staple of the United States and are in the hands of politicians, taxpayers, state, local and federal governments and presidents and ADs. This will go far beyond football W/L's, you are an idiot to think otherwise. But I think you have already shown that :)

Iowa is already self-sufficient and a net payer into the B10 pot. I have nothing against ISU specifically, but I don't see the need to add teams that we will have to subsidize. I am also a traditionalist, and really don't like the idea of jumbling these old conferences around too much.

Now this I agree with 100%. That being a traditionalist and not jumbling things around. The super conference will eliminate the traditions of many. Also whether you like it or not will affect the big 10 and it's members. You will need to play with more people and others will be added to the group. It's like a new kid starting school half way through. We both need to get over it.

Yes, yes they will. But you are a typical idiot Hawk who wants nothing but bad things to happen to Iowa State University. That's fine, the lawyers and politicians will have the final say not some guy sitting in his basement running crap on HN about Iowa State University. Cause as I have said endlessly, colleges and universities are the staple of the United States and are in the hands of politicians, taxpayers, state, local and federal governments and presidents and ADs. This will go far beyond football W/L's, you are an idiot to think otherwise. But I think you have already shown that :)

First of all, I actually wish the best for Iowa State. I'd love to see them win every game they play, besides the Iowa game, of course. And secondly, you are a total moron, and everyone on this board will agree with that. I'm sorry that Iowa State is awful at football, I'm sorry that they aren't good at basketball either. And I'm sorry that they don't provide a tv market to any conference because frankly, they have a smaller following in a lowly populated state. Now, if you would like to pull your head deep out from inside your ***, you will realize that Iowa State's future does not revolve around politics. Sorry for that too, as its likely the only way that Iowa St would ever end up in the Big Ten.

First of all, I actually wish the best for Iowa State. I'd love to see them win every game they play, besides the Iowa game, of course. And secondly, you are a total moron, and everyone on this board will agree with that. I'm sorry that Iowa State is awful at football, I'm sorry that they aren't good at basketball either. And I'm sorry that they don't provide a tv market to any conference because frankly, they have a smaller following in a lowly populated state. Now, if you would like to pull your head deep out from inside your ***, you will realize that Iowa State's future does not revolve around politics. Sorry for that too, as its likely the only way that Iowa St would ever end up in the Big Ten.
First off I could care less what others think of me, I have my opinion and I stick by it. This is not my opinion this is politics and dealing politically with non profits and state institutions is my cup of tea. Today realignment has to do with TV, I agree. Conferences are pulling in the big boys (within their region) to bring in more eyes. As conference expansion continues over the next five years this will all become political and lawyers along with politics will have a lot to say as in who fills out these super conferences. In the end tv and football will not matter, but it does today in realignments initial stages and because conferences will stay within the means of equality. But the biggest reason is the Big East and Big 12 still exist so no one is homeless. My opinion is that the four super conferences will become at least 18 members (this will begin as 16 with 1 or 2 conference still between 10 and 12 conference members). Most of this realignment will go by region with Big 10 being the Midwest. So yes, ISU will not make the round of 16 because of football, but will be in the Big 10 someday to ensure further government interaction will not be taken and to satisfy academic purposes. This is all hypothetical. Power conferences still have to come to fruition and who knows if they will, because it only means the NCAA means nothing and the not-for-profit status these schools hold is harder to justify.

Look, from a State of Iowa perspective, ISU makes some sense, yes. They fit with the Big10 academically, much better than any of the other geographic options. They have natural rivalries with Nebraska and Iowa (and Missouri if they are invited, too), and could easily develop rivalries with Minnesota and Wisconsin. But that's 10% or less of the equation. The other 90% is cash, and ISU is bringing nothing in that department.

+1

Look, from a State of Iowa perspective, ISU makes some sense, yes. They fit with the Big10 academically, much better than any of the other geographic options. They have natural rivalries with Nebraska and Iowa (and Missouri if they are invited, too), and could easily develop rivalries with Minnesota and Wisconsin. But that's 10% or less of the equation. The other 90% is cash, and ISU is bringing nothing in that department.
Today yes, tomorrow it will not mean squat.

Today yes, tomorrow it will not mean squat.

Cash will have no meaning tomorrow? I know the Fed/Treasury are printing bills like it's Monopoly money, and driving the dollar into the ground, but I'm thinking cash will still make a difference to people going forward. Call me crazy.

Cash will have no meaning tomorrow? I know the Fed/Treasury are printing bills like it's Monopoly money, and driving the dollar into the ground, but I'm thinking cash will still make a difference to people going forward. Call me crazy.
What does the fed producing money have to do with not-for-profit universities? Colleges are not large corporations and are not in existence to turn a profit nor to simply play football. Colleges do A LOT more than simply play football and all things in the end will be considered. And there is a lot more that goes into this outside of footballs w/l's. ISU in the end will be free and clear due to academics. I admit though cash means something today and conferences will scramble to get the top regional schools to their conferences, but to adhere to the not-for-profit tag, cash will not mean anything in future expansion. Conferences will then look to pick up "the little guys" to point at politicians and lawyers and say look this expansion was not all about profit.

Last edited:
I think you are delusional ... but we'll see

I give ISU a <5% chance of ending up in the Big10

I think you are delusional ... but we'll see

I give ISU a <5% chance of ending up in the Big10
Whats the semantics of the 5%? Outside of they are historically bad in football and low state population, blah blah blah, just kind of wondering.

Okay, I'll give you up to 5% ISU ends up in the Big10, max; 30% they stay in the Big12, whatever it becomes; 10% they end up in the Big East if it really does go big into the midwest; 20% they end up in the MWC; 20% they end up stuck in the MAC; and the rest for some unforeseeable mashup of the MWC and Big12 leftovers or MWC and MAC teams, and/or the western Big East teams like Louisville and Cincinnati.

Last edited:
Interesting prediction from an NCAA insider (former NCAA president) on long-range "super conference" plan in story today in cbssports.com. It's a great read with some other food for thought on NCAA oversight.

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/31327770

If the inevitability is four super conferences, assuming some geographic alignment for travel purposes and population density, with 16 teams each, would we assume 1 for east coast (current Big East/ACC geography), 1 for southeast (current SEC), 1 for west (current Pac 10), and of course 1 for midwest (current B1G).

The smart guys running the power conferences are probably focused more on this as long-term strategy, instead of short-term A&M or similar tactical moves.

Once those dominos start falling sometime in near future, then we get the popcorn and watch the fun as ADs and presidents start their scrambling for the extra spots. Very high stakes.

thanks for the link

I agree with him and have said it for some time ... who needs the NCAA?

I was replying to your post ... I wasn't criticizing it.

As for the remark about the number of New Yorkers watching the B10 network ... IT DOESN'T MATTER! That's the beauty of being in the footprint. The Big 10 automatically gets revenue for the TV sets from the carriers within the imprint ... the populace doesn't have to watch it!

Only when folks are outside of the footprint does it then matter.

I agree the NY market is tempting. Frankly I would like to see Syracuse in the B10. However, Rutgers or Syracuse finishing at the bottom of the ladder every year would not be a good match.
Anyway the bottom line will drive this; If the current members feel that what they recieve is worth giving up a 7-10% cut in revenue then they will go for it.

PSU vs Syracuse 41-23-5.
PSU vs Rutgers 22-2

Last edited:

Latest posts