College basketball countdown: No. 32 Iowa - USAToday

I'm not sure how one couldn't see that last year Ejim + Kane >>>>> Marble + Basabe + McCabe. As far as replacing players goes, I know ISU fans think that the players coming in will automatically be = or > than those guys, but that probably won't lead to more wins. I think now looking back that last years teams overachieved a bit. In that I mean they were 11-2 in 2 possession games, and that likely isn't going to happen again.

Tierney certainly implied that.

The key will be to avoid having 13 two possession games because 11-2 probably won't happen. Last year's team was mentally rock-solid. Every year that can change.

The key will be to avoid having 13 two possession games because 11-2 probably won't happen. Last year's team was mentally rock-solid. Every year that can change.

My belief is that losing Ejim and Kane is huge, not because of the significant numbers they put up but because of the leadership qualities of Ejim and to a lesser extent Kane had. I thought Ejim on the court made all four other players on ISU better. Kane did this somewhat when Ejim was in foul trouble or taking a rest - rarely did Fred not have at least one on the floor - but Kane didn't do nearly as well at it as Ejim. THAT will be the huge loss, not the points and rebounds. There's a LOT more to basketball than statistics.

Anyone that wants to disagree only has to look at Ryan Bowen - he had a 10+ year NBA career but was NEVER a good scorer or rebounder at that level (I believe he averaged less than 3.0 in each for his career and never had a season where he averaged over 5.0 in each). He brought other things that simply can't be put into statistics.

I believe your 11-2 stat happened because of Ejim and to a lesser extent Kane.

I meant that there really isn't that much difference with what Iowa lost and what Iowa state lost. Both schools lost some good players, but the talent level between the players lost isn't really that great. Marble made the NBA so he probably was the most talented. The two Iowa state players were probably next and then the other two Iowa players.