Coincidences...

Hawkfnntn

I know in life that their can be those. But in the world of college football I'm hesitant to buy into them. How things have gone so far with landing McNamara so quickly and now the smoke billowing up around Josh Gattis coming on to be OC just feels to be too much. There's an obvious tie in with him and Cade.

I could be off base with my from the outside looking in way of seeing things but if anything close to this goes down it shouldn't have been tough to see. After the bowl game here's what I think could happen.

Barnett will be let go.

I think Copeland may be gone too his last interview felt like an exit one.

BF will be demoted to Oline/running game coordinator or some shit. (maybe even maintaining his gaudy salary)

Budmayr will be QB coach/passing game coordinator

Gattis will be brought in to be OC/WRs coach (his current title at Miami)

And they'll be off and running. So hoping that Woods stays...

If the portal rumor winds keep blowing the way it is with some pretty big names (Traeshon Holden and Harris Jr) seemingly more then just considering Iowa at this point on 12/4 as I type this then I can't believe that just because KF promised some vague changes and some NIL $ is getting tossed around that all of a sudden we can make a drastic turn the right direction like this. I feel like some moves of this sort are already in the works and done. KF couldn't be promising vague changes to them and I think these coaching moves and promises of a more open O is how he was more specific with them when talking about it.

The ink just isn't dry on the paperwork yet. Don't get me wrong I'm sure NIL is a huge part of landing Cade. But that dude had options. Damn near all of them better then Iowa when it comes to on the field especially with how bare the WR room is on top of everything that is BF. So I just don't think NIL was the end all be all with landing him in the same way I don't think it is with why other studs in the portal are all of a sudden considering us. We'll see in a month or so I suppose...

I know in life that their can be those. But in the world of college football I'm hesitant to buy into them. How things have gone so far with landing McNamara so quickly and now the smoke billowing up around Josh Gattis coming on to be OC just feels to be too much. There's an obvious tie in with him and Cade.

I could be off base with my from the outside looking in way of seeing things but if anything close to this goes down it shouldn't have been tough to see. After the bowl game here's what I think could happen.

Barnett will be let go.

BF will be demoted to Oline/running game coordinator or some shit. (maybe even maintaining his gaudy salary)

If the portal rumor winds keep blowing the way it is with some pretty big names (Traeshon Holden and Harris Jr) seemingly more then just considering Iowa at this point on 12/4 as I type this then I can't believe that just because KF promised some vague changes and some NIL $ is getting tossed around that all of a sudden we can make a drastic turn the right direction like this. I feel like some moves of this sort are already in the works and done. KF couldn't be promising vague changes to them and I think these coaching moves and promises of a more open O is how he was more specific with them when talking about it.

The ink just isn't dry on the paperwork yet. Don't get me wrong I'm sure NIL is a huge part of landing Cade. But that dude had options. Damn near all of them better then Iowa when it comes to on the field especially with how bare the WR room is on top of everything that is BF. So I just don't think NIL was the end all be all with landing him in the same way I don't think it is with why other studs in the portal are all of a sudden considering us. We'll see in a month or so I suppose...
Hopefully you are right and someone said make huge changes on offense or heads will roll. And the message got delivered.

I see the logic there, but Gattis didn't exactly set the world on fire.

Honestly, I truly believe that 90% of our dysfunction on offense centers on offensive line play. When defenders are given a free pass over and over, and are immediately in the face of the QB or the RB, your entire offensive scheme falls apart. I don't care what kind of talent we have at the skill positions or how great a play-caller we have, it simply won't matter if the line can't pass-pro or run-block.

At the very, very least, Barnett needs to go.

Honestly, I truly believe that 90% of our dysfunction on offense centers on offensive line play. When defenders are given a free pass over and over, and are immediately in the face of the QB or the RB, your entire offensive scheme falls apart. I don't care what kind of talent we have at the skill positions or how great a play-caller we have, it simply won't matter if the line can't pass-pro or run-block.

That would be incorrect at 90%. Very incorrect. This is a long term building problem.

Barnett will be let go.

Yup

Why would we want Gattis? Sounds like most of his former head coaches do not like him.
He only holds a position for 2 years max.

If he was a good OC with the places he has coached and whom he has coached for then his next move would be HC somewhere. And we know it won't be here.

I don't think Copeland will be around. I think Bud gets his position. He then coaches QBs and WRs as a co-OC. I think Brian spends his hands on time with the line. I worry getting rid of Barnett might cost us some of our oline recruits as it sounds like he is actually really well liked by the players and recruits.

Why would we want Gattis? Sounds like most of his former head coaches do not like him.
He only holds a position for 2 years max.

If he was a good OC with the places he has coached and whom he has coached for then his next move would be HC somewhere. And we know it won't be here.

I don't think Copeland will be around. I think Bud gets his position. He then coaches QBs and WRs as a co-OC. I think Brian spends his hands on time with the line. I worry getting rid of Barnett might cost us some of our oline recruits as it sounds like he is actually really well liked by the players and recruits.
Short term memory. BF mistakes forgotten.

Short term memory. BF mistakes forgotten.
Just being realistic.
Why would KF go to all this supposed trouble to build an offense of the caliber that the rumors suggest if not for Brian.
If Brian is gone and the offense looks great then it just makes Brian look worse.
But if Brian is still around the offense improves which is pretty much a lock as long as all the rumors are true. This will make BF look better.

Or maybe KF isn't as stubborn and nepotistic as all the internet coaches think.

Just being realistic.
Why would KF go to all this supposed trouble to build an offense of the caliber that the rumors suggest if not for Brian.
If Brian is gone and the offense looks great then it just makes Brian look worse.
But if Brian is still around the offense improves which is pretty much a lock as long as all the rumors are true. This will make BF look better.

Or maybe KF isn't as stubborn and nepotistic as all the internet coaches think.
Maybe. Or maybe he was forced to do it. Who knows. Took a lot of alienation to get there.

Josh Gattis would be a huge mistake.
Lots of OC hires are. So was BF and Greg Davis. Gattis doesn't inspire any kind of long term confidence for success to me either. I just think the tie in with he and Cade and similar offensive style is too much to ignore. Getting him feels like a part of the recruiting pitch to get Cade and others.

I looked around for fun in the Miami world and they've seen the rumors and before that they were even thinking he may be one and done in Miami. That said he'd been out recruiting the other day for Miami not that that means anything these days either. Just feels like he'd fit in more at Iowa in the BIG as opposed to down there and how Cryistobal wants to do things.

I could be totally off my rocker with all this too. I'm just hoping for drastic change to the point that almost any would be better then none.

Even at Iowa, if you aren't paying your coordinators at least a mil, you are behind everyone else.

900k would be on the light side of what most P5 coordinators make.

Josh Gattis would be a huge mistake.

If I remember correclty from a story I read; Gattis and Locksley were both on Saban's offensive staff. Locksley was the brains and delivered while Gattis took credit. I'm pretty sure i recall that correctly.

I've come to like and respect Locksley (MD). Not sure he's a great HC but he cares a lot about the kids and fields great offenses.

Even at Iowa, if you aren't paying your coordinators at least a mil, you are behind everyone else.

900k would be on the light side of what most P5 coordinators make.
Is it? I figured the best ones at the top places are sure. But I didn't think that was the new normal yet but I haven't been keeping up with it totally. But if BF is demoted to OL coach I'd hope his pay structure would be adjusted for it.

Is the OL problem coaching or level of talent?

Is the OL problem coaching or level of talent?
It's certainly talent development and with how many straight up whiffs/missed assignments they've had snap to snap. I'd say coaching as well. Barnett doesn't seem to be long in the tooth for it.