Coaching issue

If JBo has a toe injury it would make it hard to turn such as going after a guy who just stole the ball. You cant play thru suchcsn injury. Rest is the only way. Reinjury is very easy to do. Could nag him......for years.
If Fran had actually managed to recruit 4 or 5 capable guards, he could rest Bohannon. But he hasn't. That's why you don't construct a roster like we have. Not if you want to compete in a P5 conference.

If Fran had actually managed to recruit 4 or 5 capable guards, he could rest Bohannon. But he hasn't. That's why you don't construct a roster like we have. Not if you want to compete in a P5 conference.

I don't disagree, but I think he has what he wants. No way a P5 school strikes out that much.

I think it's too bad some of us can't see the forest through the trees. JBo seems to be a bit of a pin cushin for criticism but look at the 2 guard position. I'd say JBo has played way better and more consistently then Moss has. Ellingson has had like what 3 good games his whole career so far? My point being I think if Moss or any 2 guard were to be playing well within Frans system JBos flaws wouldn't be as pronounced or cared about. It's the combination of both we are feeling. But Moss hasn't been able to put an entire game together yet hell he can't seem to go 5 strait mins of playing good basketball. 2 or 3 mins of good play and then he'll disappear or worse play poorly. Frans system would be way better if the 2 guard can also handle the ball more. But rightfully so Moss can't be trusted to do much more then run the break and hit some open shots now and then...

I think we have to be optimistic. I've heard teams improve greatly between their 11th and 12th game. Drake is going to get us peaking on Saturday.

8? Can you please name them?

Tony Carr, Payton Pritchard, Kyle Guy, Xavier Simpson, Charlie Moore, TJ Gibbs, Donovan Jackson and Devonte Green. We went Christian Vital too but he was a Spring guy so that was after we had Jordan.

I think it's too bad some of us can't see the forest through the trees. JBo seems to be a bit of a pin cushin for criticism but look at the 2 guard position. I'd say JBo has played way better and more consistently then Moss has. Ellingson has had like what 3 good games his whole career so far? My point being I think if Moss or any 2 guard were to be playing well within Frans system JBos flaws wouldn't be as pronounced or cared about. It's the combination of both we are feeling. But Moss hasn't been able to put an entire game together yet hell he can't seem to go 5 strait mins of playing good basketball. 2 or 3 mins of good play and then he'll disappear or worse play poorly. Frans system would be way better if the 2 guard can also handle the ball more. But rightfully so Moss can't be trusted to do much more then run the break and hit some open shots now and then...
Isn’t it amazing? Our starting 2 has more turnovers than assists, which is absolutely dreadful for a guard. Our big guys are really struggling with turnovers, defense, and free throws.

But yet we sit here an rag on our PG like he is the only problem. He’s averaging:
12.5 PPG/ 4.5 APG / 45.6 % 3PT

Does he have weaknesses? Absolutely, and he has struggled some this year I won’t deny that. But he is far from the only thing that is wrong with this team as it currently sits.

Jordan was fine when he had a supporting cast... ie last season. He can't be Iowa's PG and floor general and also leading scorer, he's not good enough for that and very few players are. If you have no perimeter threat besides him, he's easy to guard.

He'd be better at the 2 - I won't deny that. He's struggled this year as well. I won't deny that either. But so would any PG with the support he's had. He'd be a better PG if his team could help him - this isn't all on him. When he had this same team minus Nunge and Garza and a dynamic 2, his PG #'s where pretty good right?

Now, the team sucks so it's Jordan's fault. I don't get the logic.

I don't think anyone is unfairly targeting Bohannon. Bohannon just happens to occupy the position that Fran has whiffed on for 3 straight years in recruiting. It's a combination of who Fran didn't get at PG and who is playing there now.
Moss is not playing well. And he's a huge step back from Jok. If that helps you feel better. I never expected Moss to be starting at the 2, honestly. I expected,
Conner - PG
Bohannon - SG
Moss/Baer - SF
With Moss, Williams and Ellingson coming off the bench. Conner has missed plenty of PT and Williams left.

I don't think anyone is unfairly targeting Bohannon. Bohannon just happens to occupy the position that Fran has whiffed on for 3 straight years in recruiting. It's a combination of who Fran didn't get at PG and who is playing there now.
Moss is not playing well. And he's a huge step back from Jok. If that helps you feel better. I never expected Moss to be starting at the 2, honestly. I expected,
Conner - PG
Bohannon - SG
Moss/Baer - SF
With Moss, Williams and Ellingson coming off the bench. Conner has missed plenty of PT and Williams left.
Well some on this board have not been so kind to JBo I'll leave it at that. At what point where you expecting Conner to take over the PG position? Like the day he signed because it wasn't till Williams decided to transfer that Conner was even going to suit up in hoops this year? And even still hoping he'd man the point day 1 is asking a lot and I don't think anyone else was really expecting that. Most thought this with Wagner and Baer being a coin flip. Moss was the 2 last yr with Jok at the 3 most of the time when they were on the floor together so of course Moss was going to be 2 most of the time this year. There's too many other big guys to need him at the 3.
JBo
Moss
Wagner/Baer
Cook
Garza

Well some on this board have not been so kind to JBo I'll leave it at that. At what point where you expecting Conner to take over the PG position? Like the day he signed because it wasn't till Williams decided to transfer that Conner was even going to suit up in hoops this year? And even still hoping he'd man the point day 1 is asking a lot and I don't think anyone else was really expecting that. Most thought this with Wagner and Baer being a coin flip. Moss was the 2 last yr with Jok at the 3 most of the time when they were on the floor together so of course Moss was going to be 2 most of the time this year. There's too many other big guys to need him at the 3.
JBo
Moss
Wagner/Baer
Cook
Garza
I expected Conner to start at PG from day 1. I never expected him to red shirt. Moss is a much better slasher from the SF position, than he is at the SG spot. If I'm going to put the best 5 players on the floor, IMO, it's,
Conner
Bohannon
Moss/Baer (split time)
Cook
Nungee
First off the bench is Baer, Dailey, Wagner, Kriener. That's my rotation.

Just tired of the same old crap from the same old people. ;)

Question: how are some of these ass clowns allowed to keep posting the crap they post? Or is it when they pretend to "behave" for a bit, then you and Jon soften up?

Seriously, some of the posters make it difficult to keep coming around.

Question: how are some of these ass clowns allowed to keep posting the crap they post? Or is it when they pretend to "behave" for a bit, then you and Jon soften up?

Seriously, some of the posters make it difficult to keep coming around.

If you are referring to direct criticism of JBo, I completely agree. If you are talking about criticism of the program not having a real pt guard, then I don't agree. If the first, that's fair. If the 2nd, then you are really being a part of the "griping" problem yourself.

I don't know how adding CM at point really changes things. His bread and butter is moving to position to receive the ball. Iowa will have two extremely decent passes at guard at that point. In a sense it will be a 2 #2 set. as opposed to Michigan with a 2 #1 set. With CM in the lineup, he has a benefit of having a really good #2 if that #2 is healthy. CM will add nothing to breaking down D from the dribble. No team anywhere will be better at breaking down a D with passing. Both can shoot if open and have quick release. CM has a low release that will create problems for him, even over screens.

Passing into a big has weaknesses that good coaches will exploit and will lead to being destroyed against some really good teams. Cook will look really up and down and it will be mostly on this point. Iowa just doesn't have much in the way of scoring 1 on 1. Many are dependent on waiting for the d to overplay. The shot clock prevents that. This is a team made for a time when there was no shot clock.

I still think FM basically has what he wants unless he gets a stellar pt. Serviceable he doesn't seem interested in.

Moss has really only been successful as a spot shooter this season. Maybe a few dribble drives but he seems to miss every shot when he's not set. He's trying too hard to use Jok's dribble pull-up jumper but honestly I can't remember a single time that he's made one. He can be okay at driving to the basket but it seems like he rarely looks to pass and generally doesn't finish unless it's a layup. Would love to see some changes to the guard lineup but I'm not entirely sure what.

I expected Conner to start at PG from day 1. I never expected him to red shirt. Moss is a much better slasher from the SF position, than he is at the SG spot. If I'm going to put the best 5 players on the floor, IMO, it's,
Conner
Bohannon
Moss/Baer (split time)
Cook
Nungee
First off the bench is Baer, Dailey, Wagner, Kriener. That's my rotation.
Pemsl is getting playing time. He is definitely ahead of Kreiner

JBo.

Do you think the fact that we have been only playing with one point guard or that he might not be 100% healthy might come into play as to why he can't play much defense? People acting like the kid doesn't have heart is ridicoulous.

Disclaimer: He won't ever be a defensive stopper. He is an offensive player. Enjoy him for what he is.

Latest posts