Coaching clinic practice thoughts

Need someone(s) who can force teams to respect the field beyond 5-10 yards. I'm not sure Iowa has that on campus right now.

Northwestern stretches the field with the passing game annually and they have fewer athletes on the outside than we do.

Need someone(s) who can force teams to respect the field beyond 5-10 yards. I'm not sure Iowa has that on campus right now.

I tend to agree with you here. I'm not sure they have a player who can just run over the top of a defense and catch a ball on a fly route. However, I think they have some players who can fit the Welker/Amendola mold.

If I was Iowa's offensive coordinator I would be taking a bunch of plays from the Patriots playbook. Obviously the Hawks don't have the kind of talent the Patriots have, but the skill set of Iowa's offense at the college level kind of reminds me of what the Pats have at the pro level. Only the Pats have Tom Brady lol. Maybe it's not a great comparison, but I think the Hawks have a nucleus of small quick possession receivers. KMM, Cotton, Smith, Malik Rucker come to mind, and several different potential difference makers at the TE position in CJF, Hamilton, Duzey, and HKC. Plus Canzeri and Bullock kind of fill that Woodhead role. The Pats offense really highlights these strengths because they've lacked a deep threat since Moss was there, and it hasn't really hurt their effectiveness. Tradionally Iowa is going to struggle recruiting big deep threat receivers. Who knows? Maybe Brian is slowly bringing more and more of the Patriots offensive philosophy with him. That's why the comment about an assistant coach claiming they'll only huddle 20% of the time is so interesting to me.

Last edited:
We are still going to suck. You see these kind of overly optimistic posts every offseason, including last year. We still have Kurt, GDGD, and the other band of coaching idiots that are capable of turning even mediocre talent into boring, unimaginative crap.

We are still going to suck. You see these kind of overly optimistic posts every offseason, including last year. We still have Kurt, GDGD, and the other band of coaching idiots that are capable of turning even mediocre talent into boring, unimaginative crap.

I'm a wishful thinker Tyler. Guilty as charged. Always have been. It makes the offseason go by faster to have hope.

You see things; and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"

But what if we don't suck ? Then what ?

NIU lost a ton up front. As for Iowa's offense, last year's performance shook my confidence greatly....to see the JVB of 2011 to the JVB of 2012, with the physical tools he has, that was criminal. I will remain skeptical until we see what this year offers.

I am an optimist and this year with good reason. I know what Kirk been able to do in the past after a down year. I expect a 7 - 8 win season and am looking forward to the season's start!

NIU lost a ton up front. As for Iowa's offense, last year's performance shook my confidence greatly....to see the JVB of 2011 to the JVB of 2012, with the physical tools he has, that was criminal. I will remain skeptical until we see what this year offers.

no doubt about it.

I'm with ya on the let's see approach..Lord knows I'm skeptical. However JVB physical tools weren't in doubt be his confidence and "gamer" ability was shaky. I still contend all those checkdiwns were more Panick and lack of confidence than issues with schemes. But I very well could be wrong..we will see.

I'm with ya on the let's see approach..Lord knows I'm skeptical. However JVB physical tools weren't in doubt be his confidence and "gamer" ability was shaky. I still contend all those checkdiwns were more Panick and lack of confidence than issues with schemes. But I very well could be wrong..we will see.
Talking physical skills though, his footwork was horrendous.

Iowa's offensive line is ridiculous, it really is. Bferentz is all over those guys. He's not a dick, but those kids are going to do things the right way that's for sure. He's an excellent coach.

And if they dont suck, I am sure you will be posting how you always knew they would improve and develop during the year.
You want to see things in a negative manner and that is fine with me. I prefer to be more optimistic myself.

The best part about this information is it comes from someone who has at least some high school coaching experience. Additionally, with the way it is written and explained, someone that understands the game.

The best part about this information is it comes from someone who has at least some high school coaching experience. Additionally, with the way it is written and explained, someone that understands the game.

Agreed 100%. And it's not a blogger and they're there watching and talking with players/coaches.
I, for one, am as gitty as a school girl after reading it.

6 more months fellas!!! Uuuuggghhh!