Coaching clinic practice thoughts

The best part about this information is it comes from someone who has at least some high school coaching experience. Additionally, with the way it is written and explained, someone that understands the game.

I've been to several of the Iowa football coaching clinics...you don't necessarily have to be a high school coach to go to them (at least unless they changed it). I went for a couple years when I was coaching youth, before I ever hit the high school level. Obviously, there was a whole lot more going on for the high school coaches (who made up 99% of the audience, I'd imagine). Not a whole lot comes out of those that I could take back to my team at the time, but I love immersing myself in the X's and O's (been going to Glazier Clinics for years).

However, based on some of the points made in the OP, at the very least it appears as though he was able to speak with some of the coaches during one of the breakout sessions and get a feel for what they wanted to do and how things are looking.

From HR.com

Here in Iowa City for the Coaching Clinic.

Canzerri hits the hole hard and fast. He's easily our best back. Cotton has put on muscle, he got into it today with Nico Law. The o-line looks good but needs to stay healthy. Faith Ekakite and the other young d-linemen are beasts. The attitude us very positive. Beathred is the most athletic qb. Sokol has the best arm. Having said that, Ruddock is our best QB. He's smarter and has good intangibles. Beatherd's arm strength wasn't good. A assistant coach told me only 20% of the plays will be called in the huddle. A lot more plays called at the line this year. They are throwing farther then 4 yard outs. The problem last year was recievers and QB's were not on the same page as far as routes and timing so Vandenberg always chose to hit the check downs. This year the guys know the offense better and the passing game will open up. I even saw them running a flea flicker. If the defense can hold, I think our offense will surprise. Good line. Canzerri in the back field. Improved passing game

You really believe that?

So your telling me that at this level a team wouldn't improve at all even working day in and day out? Not buying that.

You really believe that?

So your telling me that at this level a team wouldn't improve at all even working day in and day out? Not buying that.

I don't know who you are talking to, as my post clearly says it's from HR.com. That would mean I copied a guy's post from that website and shared it with those on here that don't post or read that board.

You really believe that?

So you think it's ludicrous that a below average group of receivers, who were recruited to play a fairly different offensive scheme, most of whom haven't had to make near the in depth reads required to be successful in a GD offense, struggled to show major improvements?

Was Vandenberg good last year? No. On some of the longer throws, he still struggled mightily with poor footwork. To think that the receivers can't struggle because they practice every day? That's crazy.

I've been to several of the Iowa football coaching clinics...you don't necessarily have to be a high school coach to go to them (at least unless they changed it). I went for a couple years when I was coaching youth, before I ever hit the high school level. Obviously, there was a whole lot more going on for the high school coaches (who made up 99% of the audience, I'd imagine). Not a whole lot comes out of those that I could take back to my team at the time, but I love immersing myself in the X's and O's (been going to Glazier Clinics for years).

However, based on some of the points made in the OP, at the very least it appears as though he was able to speak with some of the coaches during one of the breakout sessions and get a feel for what they wanted to do and how things are looking.
I don't think it is a requirement, but as you stated, almost all of the people attending are high school coaches.

Most encouraging thing to me was reading the transcripts Jon posted of the interview with Kennedy/Reid and the part about the players being embarrassed about what happen last year. I do not know if that translates into more victories or not next year, but I will take all the extra incentives i can get.

Run the football, run the football and then run it some more whoever the QB ends up being I don't want them throwing more than 25 times a game. I realize it is 2013, but I am with Jon I have no faith in the passing game at all.

Most encouraging thing to me was reading the transcripts Jon posted of the interview with Kennedy/Reid and the part about the players being embarrassed about what happen last year. I do not know if that translates into more victories or not next year, but I will take all the extra incentives i can get.

Run the football, run the football and then run it some more whoever the QB ends up being I don't want them throwing more than 25 times a game. I realize it is 2013, but I am with Jon I have no faith in the passing game at all.

Until we show a commitment to stretching the field more consistently, I totally agree.

NIU lost a ton up front. As for Iowa's offense, last year's performance shook my confidence greatly....to see the JVB of 2011 to the JVB of 2012, with the physical tools he has, that was criminal. I will remain skeptical until we see what this year offers.

Agreed! I don't see how anyone can look at the 2013 Iowa offense with anything other than skepticism. The CF that was the 2012 Iowa offense was traumatizing to watch and until we actually see competent QB play, competent playcalling, WRs that can actually get open, and at least an effort to convert 3rd downs I see no reason to expect anything better.

So you think it's ludicrous that a below average group of receivers, who were recruited to play a fairly different offensive scheme, most of whom haven't had to make near the in depth reads required to be successful in a GD offense, struggled to show major improvements?

Was Vandenberg good last year? No. On some of the longer throws, he still struggled mightily with poor footwork. To think that the receivers can't struggle because they practice every day? That's crazy.

When you also throw in a decimated offensive line, with a turnstile on the left side after scherff and donnal went down, that doesn't bode well for improving your passing game week in and week out. It's wasn't just the QB and receivers...it's the whole package that wasn't consistent. When all three areas are struggling, well, how the hell do you expect them to look every week. Oh, and throw in your top 4 RB's get hurt at some point, so that was a revolving door. Last year was a disaster on offense due to injuries. Watch the MSU game...the OL protected, we ran the ball on a good defense, and we executed in OT. That team showed promise...then two guys go down on the OL, Weisman is hurt, Bullock is hurt. We never recovered...and we still almost beat Purdue, Indiana, and Nebraska.

Even Iowa's running game is boring and predictable if Iowa wants to commit to the run should step out of the 80's and be creative with the run game. Iowa has to have to have one of the most vanilla schemes in the bcs conferences

Even Iowa's running game is boring and predictable if Iowa wants to commit to the run should step out of the 80's and be creative with the run game. Iowa has to have to have one of the most vanilla schemes in the bcs conferences

My favorite flavor!!

Any suggestions? As far as I know with everyone healthy it works. Sounds like we might see something different this year, but we'll have to wait and see.

Any suggestions? As far as I know with everyone healthy it works. Sounds like we might see something different this year, but we'll have to wait and see.

Careful ... :)

6a00d8341bf68b53ef01348624d3f9970c-800wi

Most encouraging thing to me was reading the transcripts Jon posted of the interview with Kennedy/Reid and the part about the players being embarrassed about what happen last year...

I really like this post. I remember hearing Morris talk in the post game after the Nebby loss. He said basically the same stuff. More accountability between teammates regarding everything, including weight room dedication. And from the weight increases that a lot of the team has seen, I'd think something clicked for these guys. I truly believe they have been working their tails off during this offseason, and hopefully, it'll translate into success on the field.

Latest posts