Coaching clinic practice thoughts

hoffahawk

From HR.com

Here in Iowa City for the Coaching Clinic.

Canzerri hits the hole hard and fast. He's easily our best back. Cotton has put on muscle, he got into it today with Nico Law. The o-line looks good but needs to stay healthy. Faith Ekakite and the other young d-linemen are beasts. The attitude us very positive. Beathred is the most athletic qb. Sokol has the best arm. Having said that, Ruddock is our best QB. He's smarter and has good intangibles. Beatherd's arm strength wasn't good. A assistant coach told me only 20% of the plays will be called in the huddle. A lot more plays called at the line this year. They are throwing farther then 4 yard outs. The problem last year was recievers and QB's were not on the same page as far as routes and timing so Vandenberg always chose to hit the check downs. This year the guys know the offense better and the passing game will open up. I even saw them running a flea flicker. If the defense can hold, I think our offense will surprise. Good line. Canzerri in the back field. Improved passing game

From HR.com

Canzerri hits the hole hard and fast. He's easily our best back. Cotton has put on muscle, he got into it today with Nico Law. The o-line looks good but needs to stay healthy. Faith Ekakite and the other young d-linemen are beasts. The attitude us very positive. Beathred is the most athletic qb. Sokol has the best arm. Having said that, Ruddock is our best QB. He's smarter and has good intangibles. Beatherd's arm strength wasn't good. A assistant coach told me only 20% of the plays will be called in the huddle. A lot more plays called at the line this year. They are throwing farther then 4 yard outs. The problem last year was recievers and QB's were not on the same page as far as routes and timing so Vandenberg always chose to hit the check downs. This year the guys know the offense better and the passing game will open up. I even saw them running a flea flicker. If the defense can hold, I think our offense will surprise. Good line. Canzerri in the back field. Improved passing game

Many years ago, as a coach at Kennedy HS, I attended this clinic annually. It is a great experience...hope you enjoy yourself and learn lots of good stuff. I really appreciate your report; some really good insights! Of course, I love the positive take on what you saw. Go Hawks!

Nice to hear the word "beasts" being associated with the D-line. They could of tried to play Faith and Jaleel last year, but I'm glad they didn't. It wouldn't of made much of a difference in the win column. I'm eager to see how much technique they've picked up. Size wasn't an issue with them.

Thanks for the info.

I've been saying this for a long time. This team lost 4-5 games by a very slim margin. You have a nucleus of players coming back in the OL / DL that are in the step up years, plus young talent that could be ready to help out. I thought our OL before the injuries was playing great football, then it all came apart with not one, but two critical injuries. With both guys back on the OL, plus some young guys reaching the ready to contribute stage, all the sudden you have experience and depth and great competition in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Glad to hear the news on Canzeri...and that he's showing the burst. I'm sure he's gotten stronger too. I'm so glad they gave him the redshirt last year and let him heal and work on his body. That bodes well for our depth at RB.

If we get QB play that surprises to the upside...even with the tougher schedule...we have a shot at 9-3. We could easily be 6-0 when Ohio State we travel to Columbus...and I know that won't be a win, but more of a learning experience. Laugh and ridicule these remarks, but none of the teams on the early schedule, other than NIU have huge returning starter numbers. NIU lost a ton on their defense...and we will be able to run on them. I think we can win that game at home. The rest line up well too through the first 6.

I've been saying this for a long time. This team lost 4-5 games by a very slim margin. You have a nucleus of players coming back in the OL / DL that are in the step up years, plus young talent that could be ready to help out. I thought our OL before the injuries was playing great football, then it all came apart with not one, but two critical injuries. With both guys back on the OL, plus some young guys reaching the ready to contribute stage, all the sudden you have experience and depth and great competition in the trenches on both sides of the ball.
NIU did lose some on defense, but nothing that can not be replaced. They have a ton back on offense, that said I still think the Hawks kick their ***. Be physical and they will fold in the 4th quarter.

Glad to hear the news on Canzeri...and that he's showing the burst. I'm sure he's gotten stronger too. I'm so glad they gave him the redshirt last year and let him heal and work on his body. That bodes well for our depth at RB.

If we get QB play that surprises to the upside...even with the tougher schedule...we have a shot at 9-3. We could easily be 6-0 when Ohio State we travel to Columbus...and I know that won't be a win, but more of a learning experience. Laugh and ridicule these remarks, but none of the teams on the early schedule, other than NIU have huge returning starter numbers. NIU lost a ton on their defense...and we will be able to run on them. I think we can win that game at home. The rest line up well too through the first 6.

NIU did lose a little on defense, but the return a ton on offense. That said, the Hawks are going to kick their ***.

Hopefully, Phil working with the DB's against will mean a significant leap in their play. They were really ugly at times last year although some of that was on the DL that didn't provide much pressure. I'd love to see Faith E or Cooper move to that open DE spot opposite Alvris. If we get LTP back we should have enough quality and depth at DT(Davis, LTP, Cooper, Jaleel, Faith) to move one to DE.

I'm most anticipating watching Canzeri play. I think he's going to end up being the main man - a sturdier Freddy Russell.

Hopefully, Phil working with the DB's against will mean a significant leap in their play. They were really ugly at times last year although some of that was on the DL that didn't provide much pressure. I'd love to see Faith E or Cooper move to that open DE spot opposite Alvris. If we get LTP back we should have enough quality and depth at DT(Davis, LTP, Cooper, Jaleel, Faith) to move one to DE.

just as a coach is as good as his players, the secondary will only be as good as the defensive front. receivers always have the advantage, and if the DL puts no pressure on the offense, the receiver will eventually get open.

Thanks for this, Hoffa! This will get me through for a while! Aside from the Easter readings, this is the best think I have read in quite some time!

On Iowa!

So the reason the offense sucked is because the QB always checked down? Makes one wonder why only one QB took snaps last year

From HR.com

believe it when I see it

I'm most anticipating watching Canzeri play. I think he's going to end up being the main man - a sturdier Freddy Russell.

Agreed, I thought that last year as well before he got hurt. I think the year off will only add to his determination to play and play well, and also will be a huge match up problem for a LB coming out of the backfield that was lacking last year. A ton of options if everyone stays healthy.

That's the hope. If we can get a passing game going, we will be all right this year.

Quite frankly, I don't see how the passing game could possibly be any worse than last year so I think improvement is inevidable in that regard.

It's nice to finally hear updates from practice. If you just take everything into consideration and look at the forest instead of the trees it's pretty obvious that there are some major changes being made offensively. Comments from coaches and players about increased tempo, Ferentz actually saying that they're trying to find multiple ways to use Bullock instead of simply as a RB, seeing pictures of a formation with Weisman and Bullock lined up together, the use of a Y-Back, and in my opinion one of the most impactful changes could be the new emphasis on special teams through coaching changes. Ultimately, we won't be able to see how much has changed until a game is played. Obviously, the running game is going to be a major part of the offense. That's a given. However, I do think we're going to start to see some different wrinkles through play action pass plays and motioning WR's and RB's. I'd be interested to see a formation with Weisman at FB, Canzeri at TB, Bullock in the slot, and CJF on the field as well. That right there is quite a few different weapons that need to be accounted for.

Quite frankly, I don't see how the passing game could possibly be any worse than last year so I think improvement is inevidable in that regard.

It's nice to finally hear updates from practice. If you just take everything into consideration and look at the forest instead of the trees it's pretty obvious that there are some major changes being made offensively. Comments from coaches and players about increased tempo, Ferentz actually saying that they're trying to find multiple ways to use Bullock instead of simply as a RB, seeing pictures of a formation with Weisman and Bullock lined up together, the use of a Y-Back, and in my opinion one of the most impactful changes could be the new emphasis on special teams through coaching changes. Ultimately, we won't be able to see how much has changed until a game is played. Obviously, the running game is going to be a major part of the offense. That's a given. However, I do think we're going to start to see some different wrinkles through play action pass plays and motioning WR's and RB's. I'd be interested to see a formation with Weisman at FB, Canzeri at TB, Bullock in the slot, and CJF on the field as well. That right there is quite a few different weapons that need to be accounted for.

Need someone(s) who can force teams to respect the field beyond 5-10 yards. I'm not sure Iowa has that on campus right now.

Latest posts