Coach needs to have a talk with Matt

I see your point. Right or wrong, games tend to be called a little different towards the end of the game. I was less upset about the no call on Gatens than I was about the palming of the ball that WF was guilty of right before the game winning three.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought there could have been a foul on the Basabe dunk attempt as well?

here is what I'll say - Matt had been out of the flow of the game and the team was playin pretty well together. He missed nice look at a 3 (it happens) and while I believe a couple others may be better options to score off the drive, Matt did beat his guy off the dribble but took it too far into the big man. He should have stopped & pulled up a mid range jumper or kicked it out to get the defense scrambling. I can't hate on him. This team is young & Matt has been out. They seem to be improving and getting more comfortable with each other as the season goes on. It is definitely much, much better than the last few years. I actually watched more games then that last two years combined. With that being said, the Big Ten is good and it will be a long season once that begins but I like the way this is headed.

Sitting him in the 2nd half is a fine decision, but the fact that he got the shots in the final two possessions was not a good decision.
This is the problem I have with that call.
If Matt's taking the 3 ball, fine. It was open. But he was sitting a long, long time with a bum hand that likely stiffened up.

Good play call, as it was open... but maybe May should have been shooting it.

I still think the play is keep MArble in the game. Have Cartwright get to the hole (he did it a lot tonight) and then if D collapses, dish to either Basabe or hit Marble cutting or kick it out to a wide open 3 ball... or take the layup if it's there.

Iowa was something like 3-16 at that point or something from behind the arc, so the treys were not going down.

Take it to the whole and try to get fouled. Take it to the whole with someone who can GET to the hole.

Matt needs to be a shooter and mid range jump shooter. Occasionally taking it to the hole. The past 3 years he hasn't done too much going to the hole against major competition. Tough spot for him coming off the bench though whether it is taking a 3 or any other shot after sitting so long. Would have liked to see Matt sit at end of the game.

Matt will be fine within this system.

The no call on the drive was also the right call. College basketball, not jr. high.

Just finished watching the game (DVR) and can finally comment on the Gatens last second drive.

One word = Stupid

He wasn't fouled. He should have never tried to drive as their big's did nothing but patrol the paint. They ended up with 11 blocks in the game. Does that tell you something?

Our comeback started with Cartwright and the ball. It included dribble penetration but on almost every occasion the player dished to someone else. In this case Gaten's decided to drive and shoot. I'm not disappointed in the loss but I'm disappointed when players make bonehead plays like that.

What in the hell are you guys talking about? Gatens is a role player now on this team? What are we OSU or MSU? Give me a frickin' break. Gatens is one of the best players on this team. There is nothing wrong with what he did or the decision he made. It is basketball and it didn't happen tonight. They got two great looks both from the player we wanted to get the looks from and it didn't happen. Wake took a horrible shot at the end(yes I know they are never horrible when they go in) and they won. Get off Gatens for crying out loud, he and May are the heart and soul of this team.

Matt just needs to be a pick pop guy, and an outside threat. He plays good D and understands the game very well.

We can all agree that coming into the season Matt was one of our 2 best players.

Now, typically the best player on your team will make everybody else better, but in this case i think the team will make Matt better. these youngsters play with so much energy that he will have to follow suit or get passed up by someone else.

I have no idea on the health of his hand nor his conditioning at this point, but i would dare wager that when is all said and done we will be very happy with his Hawkeye career.

Eddy P I don't think folks are disagreeing with you. Gatens is a role player it is unfortunate because he does have bball IQ. I would disagree with you on one obvious point. Fran set up 2 plays for him with a chance to win and he missed the WIDE open 3 and there was no way in hell that drive was going to go in...as a matter of fact he looked like a boy amongst men on that last drive. Should have gone to Cartwright because Wake couldn't handle him at all in the 2nd half.

What in the hell are you guys talking about? Gatens is a role player now on this team? What are we OSU or MSU? Give me a frickin' break. Gatens is one of the best players on this team. There is nothing wrong with what he did or the decision he made. It is basketball and it didn't happen tonight. They got two great looks both from the player we wanted to get the looks from and it didn't happen. Wake took a horrible shot at the end(yes I know they are never horrible when they go in) and they won. Get off Gatens for crying out loud, he and May are the heart and soul of this team.

He's never been a great creator. He's not a big dribble drive threat, especially when he's coming off surgery in his left hand. He's not overly strong with his left at this point, which makes him easier to defend. At this piont, he'd be better off pulling up and shooting than trying to finish at the rim.

I don't have a problem with him trying to make a play, but at crunch time you have to play to your strengths... Matt struggles to finish at the basket against bigger players, he should have taken a jumper. I suspect he was trying to draw a foul and get to the line, but until he starts finding a way to get the foul and get the ball up I think its the wrong play when the its a basket you have to have.

Agreed...I think that's all alot of us are saying. The 3 ball earlier was wide open nothing wrong with that but the drive should have gone to Cartwright or May.

Nobody is talking about May. We are talking about Gatens trying to drive for the game winner against a team with 7' players and bigs that patrol the middle. We're also talking about a player (gatens) that isn't a drive type player. Gatens has never been much more than a role player forced into a superstar role on terrible teams.

Gatens can't drive the ball against seven footers right after he misses that wide open three, thats just blowing game by trying to do too much. I can't blame him for not having total faith in team mates after the last few seasons, but the kids gotta give it up and let the team get the best shot possible in that situation. There's no need to tell Matt he's a role player, there's still a lot of games left and definitely a chance for him to grow into a great player in this system, you can't shut down that possibility just yet. What Matt needs to realize though is that this is not a Lickliter team, meaning he's not the only option late in the game to get the team the win.

If anyone of you follow my posts, I predicted Matt Gatens to have a drop off in productivity in this new system. I have never been that impressed with Matt to begin with, even in Lickliter's system. That being said I think it is time for coach to sit down with Matt and tell him something he doesn't want to hear. That he is a role player, and needs to act like one.

There is no reason Matt Gatens should be driving to the basket during our last possession to take the lead. NO REASON. He is slow and can not create his own shots. Yes he can shoot free throws, but he is not shifty enough to draw the foul and will be easily blocked. If I'm Coach Fran I tell Matt he is only allowed to shoot on the perimeter and that he is coming to the bench if he does otherwise and causes a turnover.

COMPLETELY AGREE!

Totally disagree if the refs had any clue on Matt's last drive they would have called a foul cause the guy hit him on the wrist/hand when he blocked the shot.

That happens all the time at the end of a game. It is a no call. Gatens never should have taken that shot, he needs to understand that in this new system with these new freshmen, HE IS NOT THE BEST OR MOST VALUABLE PLAYER ON OUR TEAM.

If anyone honestly believes this guy is in our top 2 players you have been drinking the Iowa media kool-aid for far too long and must not watch/understand the game of basketball.

Matt is a spot up shooter, he's not explosive, doesn't have exceptional ball handling skills, and can't finish near the basket. You don't build a team around a guy like that. He will have good games when the other players are hot and get defended harder which will relieve some pressure off of him for some open 3s.

He gets hyped up due to the fact the class he came in on sucked, and he is a hometown hero/legacy.

If anyone honestly believes this guy is in our top 2 players you have been drinking the Iowa media kool-aid for far too long and must not watch/understand the game of basketball.

Matt is a spot up shooter, he's not explosive, doesn't have exceptional ball handling skills, and can't finish near the basket. You don't build a team around a guy like that. He will have good games when the other players are hot and get defended harder which will relieve some pressure off of him for some open 3s.

He gets hyped up due to the fact the class he came in on sucked, and he is a hometown hero/legacy.

Come on now. Matt was a 4 star nationally ranked recruit. That is where the hype comes from. What I am surprised about with Matt is that he hadn't learned how to protect his release better on drives. Brunner played against a bunch of guys bigger, quicker, and more explosive than him. But Brunner learned how to use his body to shield his release so that he could get his shot off. Just seems like Matt would have learned this by now. Instead, he leads with the ball leaving it exposed for the block.

there was absolutely nothing wrong w/ his drive, he was aggresive, it was good penetration and a good shot attempt. there was a questionable call of no foul. gatens need to drive and get opportunities to go to the line, spot up shooters never go to the line.

Latest posts