Coach needs to have a talk with Matt

That happens all the time at the end of a game. It is a no call. Gatens never should have taken that shot, he needs to understand that in this new system with these new freshmen, HE IS NOT THE BEST OR MOST VALUABLE PLAYER ON OUR TEAM.

A foul is a foul even if it happens in the last 30 seconds of a game if people are not smart enough to realize that hey that is not my problem. There is NOTHING in the ref manual that says fouls in the last 30 seconds are different than the rest of the game.

You people hating on matt need to get a clue.

I don't think anyone is "hating" on Matt. No one is saying he sucks. No one is saying he doesn't deserve a D1 scholarship. Most people are simply pointing out what he does well and what he does not so well. Nothing in this thread has been malicious. Just fans pointing out observations.

The thing about the drive the to hoop is that Iowa fans have seen that over and over and over again from Matt and 95% of the time it ends up the same way. He looks to get fouled, doesn't get fouled, and gets blocked by an opposing team's big.

Cartwright and Marble were getting into the lane very well. It's their game. Those guys, while maybe not better overall than some on the team, are better at that part of the game. If they're better, let them handle that. In football, I don't want Adam Robinson throwing the football. I don't want to see Archie shooting 25 footers in basketball either. Same goes for Matt getting in the lane, it's year 3 now and it's still not working.

Matt was trying to be a leader, trying to take over for the team. I get that. But Iowa also need to play smart and know what situations they are in. (i.e. - Iowa up 16 pts with seconds to go in half, Wake scores, then McCabe drives to hoop w/ 8 secs to go, Wake scores and its a 4 pt swing. That stuff can't happen.)

may would have tried to dunk that and got fouled. may was playing with a ton of confidence down the stretch.

He was trying to make a play to win the game. I can't hate him for that. However, that's not his game.

My biggest question with the end-of-game sequences there was not Matt's actions, but why he was in the game in the first place after sitting on the bench for 30 minutes (my dad called me up and we figured he had re-injured the hand since he had been sitting so long). I never like bringing in a cold shooter at the end of the game. Stick with the guys that brought you back!

We ran some great sets on O when we made the comeback, including the 3 pt look that Gatens missed. I didn't like the final possession at all. That said, there's a lot to like about the new staff and team. We're certainly not boring anymore!

A foul is a foul even if it happens in the last 30 seconds of a game if people are not smart enough to realize that hey that is not my problem. There is NOTHING in the ref manual that says fouls in the last 30 seconds are different than the rest of the game.

You people hating on matt need to get a clue.

I didn't see the play (don't have ESPNU), but that's just how it is. Refs aren't going to call the ticky tack fouls at the end of a game. Last night wasn't any different than any other game as far as that goes, and I'm sure we've benefitted from such officiating more than once before. Sometimes you just need to let the players play, and the last minute of a game fits that description.

Gatens is still working back into bb shape. Get off his arse.
I want our guys forcing the action in that last play,going to the hoop,trying to get the foul. Unfortunately, Walker is a 7fter who blocked 11 shots in their last game,so he is clearly a good shotblocker. Against most guys, Gatens probably gets that call...there was a lot of body contact and it gets called. Matt is not the first guy I would pick to take that drive,but he was the guy with the ball,so glad he went in.

Gatens is the only top 100 recruit on this team. He is talented. He is still recovering from surgery....when his hand heals,he will be the best shooter again,something we desperately need. And Fran wants him to get to the line,so he forced it..no problem.
He is a guy who makes everyone better, thru his floor game,defense,passing,and ballhandling. Why is it more acceptable to go 4-19 from three point land than to have a drive to the hoop blocked? This team shot badly from 3,and did not get to the free throw line,so the options are limited.
I like McCabe and Gatens,despite their off shooting nites.

Why is it more acceptable to go 4-19 from three point land than to have a drive to the hoop blocked?
Because Matt was 2/5 from behind the arc at that point and time in the game. He had a 40% chance to make it. Matt driving to the hoop was about a 5% chance.

I guess we will agree to disagree. I find it very ironic how you used to defend Tucker to the death,when we had zero proof he could sustain anything against BCS teams(garbage time vs West Va does not count),while you nod approvingly as Matt(all big ten frosh team) gets shredded while playing injured. Fran called the play,and wanted Matt at the line...the 7fter got him this time,with no call on body contact...next time he gets the call and knocks down the free throws and is the hero....and this same crowd will clap.

I guess we will agree to disagree. I find it very ironic how you used to defend Tucker to the death,when we had zero proof he could sustain anything against BCS teams(garbage time vs West Va does not count),while you nod approvingly as Matt(all big ten frosh team) gets shredded while playing injured. Fran called the play,and wanted Matt at the line...the 7fter got him this time,with no call on body contact...next time he gets the call and knocks down the free throws and is the hero....and this same crowd will clap.

I really don't think you're getting it. Have you been watching Iowa basketball the last few years? We've seen this same thing with Gatens over and over. Gatens does not finish around the rim. It's just not his game. Like I said last night, what Gatens needs to be doing is coming to a jump stop when he drives toward the bucket. Stay in control and go up strong for a ten footer. Or drive and dish. That's his game. His game is not driving towards the bucket and trying to hang in the air to finish a shot around the bucket. Never has been.

I had no problem that Gatens was in at the end of the game. I had no problem that he wanted the ball in his hands with the game on the line. I just wanted him to play to his strengths. Not just in the Wake game but for the rest of the season.

There is NO WAY that the play called was for Matt to drive to the bucket....END OF STORY. Are you kidding me?

They had 11 blocks in the game and everyone knew that driving to the hoop wasn't going to result in anything positive - if you doubt this, please check out Cartwrights dribble to the baseline with under 5 mins to go. He beat his man and then decide to dribble past the hoop because their big was roaming the middle.....that was a smart play, Matt's wasn't. Matt decided to drive on his own when he thought he saw an opening, watch the play again!

The paint is patrolled by 7 footers and their guys know it. They can overplay the passing lanes because if they get beat their bigs are there to stuff the shot.

i'm pretty sure coach had no problem w/ them getting penetration to the hoop. so many good things happen when you can get in the lane, unfortunetly we didn't get the call or make the play. but it doesn't come down to this one play anyway. it is what it is, we had many other chances and failed.

and i highly doubt 95% of the time its a bad thing when matt drives the lane.

Have you watched any Iowa ball over the past few seasons? Gatens has more shots blocked than any other player on the team. Last year it got old when he would try and take it to the middle, jump about 6" and get stuffed by bigger players. As someone said earlier, you would think that he would have learned by now what his role on the team is. He plays the 2 or SG position for Iowa. His job should be to spot up for 3s or create assists for other players. He's not tall enough, athletic enough and doesn't possess the handles to be a slasher / penetrator.

Basketball is a sport made up of role players. Each player has their role on the team and they should be able to execute that role. Being called a role player isn't a derogatory imo. Matt should be a shooter and assist guy on O and have the ability to defend their shooters on D.

i'm pretty sure coach had no problem w/ them getting penetration to the hoop. so many good things happen when you can get in the lane, unfortunetly we didn't get the call or make the play. but it doesn't come down to this one play anyway. it is what it is, we had many other chances and failed.

There was no call to make. I watched the play about 10 times last night on DVR and there wasn't any contact. No body, no hand, no arm. He got stuffed by a 7'0" player. A player that patrolled the middle the entire game. A player that had 5 blocks in the game. A player that averages 4.7 blocks per game with a season high of 11 blocks.

Guess Fran will have to answer whether he wanted Matt to penetrate into the paint on the last play....I am guessing he did. Most coaches prefer having the ball get into the paint in crunch time. I have seen every game that Matt has played at Iowa and yes,he has been stuffed at the hoop a number of times,but Fran called the play for a reason, Matt getting the call is automatic points. He did not get the call,but he could have,as there was body contact and he hit his wrist...I suspect that Fran will call his number again...get used to it. I am ok with Matt pulling up,no doubt,but taking it to the hole is ok also.
Basabe and McCabe had shots blocked also...it happens.

Hey, I was on Matt's soapbox when he was a true freshman finished runner up for Big Ten Frosh of the Year to Buford. I thought he should have won it. I was vocal about that.

It still doesn't stop the fact that when Matt drives into the lane, burying his shoulder, looking for a foul, 9 times out of 10 it's not called a foul and he is blocked. I'm just stating what I see every time he does that. It's the truth.

I like Matt. I like his game. I like that he wants to have the ball at the end of the game and that he wants to go to the line. But driving into the trees looking for a foul at the end game rarely, if ever, works for him. If/when it does, you bet I'll be happy for him. But when it doesn't, I will question it because that's the normal result.

We've all watched Matt since he stepped foot on campus. He carried the banner for Iowa Basketball when no one else wanted to. He withstood a lot of crap to play for the school he loves. I appreciate that. He is, without a doubt, a Hawkeye through and through. I completely see that and admire that about him.

Again, I get all of that. Matt's one of the true Hawkeyes. I'm just stating that maybe someone else should be taking that ball to the hoop. Someone who had been doing it all game long with results. Not to mention Matt had been on the bench and extended period of time, as well.

i don't miss a game of iowa bball. like i said, i'm sure coach has no problem w/ matt getting in the paint, if he is fouled, it is pretty much an automatic 2pts. it didn't happen this time, that happens it sports, it is what it is.

Latest posts