Clown fans think you can only be a fan of a team if you attended that college

Ben Rumson

Every year I'm amazed at the idiotic notion of clown fans that you can not like a team if you didn't go to school there. Guess what ? I don't own stock in the Vikes and the Twins but their my teams I cheer for. Against my better judgement I crossed over enemy lines to read the nonsense on the clown fanatic and that is the discussion under obnoxious hawk fans. I guess they all have degrees in playing with erector sets or collecting bull sperm. I will tell you I never hated a fan base or team like those bozo's and enjoy every single loss and poor fortune they receive! I relish in the hatred to them!

Last edited:
They're jealous because Iowa is the flagship university and people who went to schools other than Iowa and Iowa State choose Iowa.
Much like the saying, 'only a face a mother could love' only Iowa State grads are the only ones who hold any affinity for that school/program.

It is because the only way you would actually cheer for ISU is if you went to school there. Where as everyone can and should love the Hawks.

Last edited:
I also love their joke about how ISU fans get their t-shirts by going to ISU and Iowa fans get them by going to WalMart. I usually reply by saying that is because WalMart doesn't lilke to carry merchandise that won't sell.

***Edited for crappy typing.

Last edited:
What they're really saying (and as usual, don't understand the self-implication there-in) is that almost nobody other than an ISU grad would want to be associated with their program. And they are spot on. Iowa has always had a bigger following...but it's not just a band waggon phenomenon after Iowa bounced back under Hayden. Iowa was outdrawing ISU when the clones were having their best years and Iowa was deep into their 18 year losing streak pre-Hayden. Fact, not opinion.

To add insult to injury, I know a number of ISU grads...who are big Hawkeye fans. I doubt you'll find much of that in the opposite direction.

Like it or not, IOWA is the big dog. ISU is the lesser cousin (little brother is a little too close) who's not as bright and has stains on his shirt.

Last edited:
What they're really saying (and as usual, don't understand the self-implication there-in) is that almost nobody other than an ISU grad would want to be associated with their program. And they are spot on. To add insult to injury, I know a number of ISU grads...who are big Hawkeye fans. I doubt you'll find much of that in the opposite direction.

I had a kid that sat behind me in Kinnick a couple years ago who also had season tickets ...he just also happened to be an ISU student ha ha

I see plenty of people who are isu fans just because they are farmers. No degree.

I hang out with farmers and my family farmed. I just don't see this. I did study Ag out of state because I just couldn't go there though. Growing up near IC probably had some influence.

They're jealous because Iowa is the flagship university and people who went to schools other than Iowa and Iowa State choose Iowa.
Much like the saying, 'only a face a mother could love' only Iowa State grads are the only ones who hold any affinity for that school/program.

Sorry, but Iowa isn't the flagship....neither is ISU. If you are going to be an engineer in most areas and want to be in state you go to ISU. If you want an Ag degree you go to ISU or in my case out of State. Neither university has a tremendous amount to brag about unless you want to brag you are better than NOT THE OSU, OU, and Nebby. Iowa's medical program... pretty good. Law degree, top 25. ISU is among the best in practical applied ag.

Sorry, but Iowa isn't the flagship....neither is ISU. If you are going to be an engineer in most areas and want to be in state you go to ISU. If you want an Ag degree you go to ISU or in my case out of State. Neither university has a tremendous amount to brag about unless you want to brag you are better than NOT THE OSU, OU, and Nebby. Iowa's medical program... pretty good. Law degree, top 25. ISU is among the best in practical applied ag.

Look up flagship and then get back to me.
To quote Forbes, 'Founded in 1847, the University of Iowa is the state’s flagship public research institution.'

https://www.forbes.com/colleges/university-of-iowa/

What they're really saying (and as usual, don't understand the self-implication there-in) is that almost nobody other than an ISU grad would want to be associated with their program. And they are spot on. Iowa has always had a bigger following...but it's not just a band waggon phenomenon after Iowa bounced back under Hayden. Iowa was outdrawing ISU when the clones were having their best years and Iowa was deep into their 18 year losing streak pre-Hayden. Fact, not opinion.

To add insult to injury, I know a number of ISU grads...who are big Hawkeye fans. I doubt you'll find much of that in the opposite direction.

Like it or not, IOWA is the big dog. ISU is the lesser cousin (little brother is a little too close) who's not as bright and has stains on his shirt.

Well, as EVERYONE knows, this is THE HAWKEYE STATE!

I graduated from ISU back in 2010 but grew up a huge hawk fan. When I was on campus I wore my Iowa gear and even had an Iowa wrap on my laptop. I never heard anything from anyone except professors. Took classes and with some of their football players and they never said a word. Not sure why ISU fans even need to make this argument, all I know is that almost all ISU fans are great and gracious people but just like our fan base they have some extremists that need to make arguments just to hear themselves talk.

I graduated from ISU back in 2010 but grew up a huge hawk fan. When I was on campus I wore my Iowa gear and even had an Iowa wrap on my laptop. I never heard anything from anyone except professors. Took classes and with some of their football players and they never said a word. Not sure why ISU fans even need to make this argument, all I know is that almost all ISU fans are great and gracious people but just like our fan base they have some extremists that need to make arguments just to hear themselves talk.
I applaud anyone who has gone on to college to earn a degree and better themselves no matter what college they attend. I on the other hand went to the U of USMC because as the old judge said in Caddy Shack "The World Needs Ditch Diggers Too"! Leading Marines in battle was just as fulfilling and an honor to me as a degree earned by any of you or anyone else and doggone it! I love the Hawks! Its my team! But it rubs you wrong when you can't be a true fan if you didn't attend the university in some idiots eyes. Its just like the last election only the uneducated and those without college education voted for someone other than who was suppose to win. Hey we all have our own convictions and beliefs and I doubt any college degree makes you the person inside you want to be.

Last edited:
My dad graduated from ISU and was employed by ISU for 20 years and still cheered for the Hawkeyes. He followed ISU as well but it was always a BigTen household growing up with trips to bowl games etc. Maybe that is why he cheered for the Hawks. Wouldn't be many vacation options rooting for ISU