Clemson Changing QB’s

well, he's only had 2 of those then - (a close game in the 4th Q w/ a ranked opponent) and he's thrown a 70 yard TD in one, and he threw a TD in the closing minutes of the 3rd Q in the other. I am not saying I agree or disagree with you, just that your statement makes it sound like he chokes in big games which I would disagree with. It's all about opportunity IMO if that's your stance. He was pretty good Saturday.

Agree he was good Saturday, for 3 qtrs though. The 4th qtr was a bit tough for him.

Jake Christensen, bud. Jeff was Papa Bear who allegedly acted like he knew more about coaching than Kurt and he bought his son a one way ticket to Eastern Illinois or some other shit team.
Yep. Typo on my part. Yes, his dad was Jeff, who was a journeyman QB in the NFL for awhile.

Iowa was not 4-0 and ranked 5th in the polls at the time either.
I'm not sure what your point is exactly, but you implied that Iowa would never replace a starting QB with a backup.

Regardless of the ranking or offensive numbers, it boils down to whether or not you think the backup is the better player, and, Iowa coaches have proven that they will make a switch if they think that is the case.

Kelly isn't wasting any time he's bailing on Clemson... If he'd have played another game I think that'd have screwed his being able to transfer and play next yr. In that way he's fortunate that Clemson made the move now and not in a week or two. I figured he'd tough it out maybe still play some and give Bama a run for their money (maybe) and go pro. I guess this tells you his confidence level in himself for being able to go pro after this year...

Kelly isn't wasting any time he's bailing on Clemson... If he'd have played another game I think that'd have screwed his being able to transfer and play next yr. In that way he's fortunate that Clemson made the move now and not in a week or two. I figured he'd tough it out maybe still play some and give Bama a run for their money (maybe) and go pro. I guess this tells you his confidence level in himself for being able to go pro after this year...

They actually did this to Cole Staudt (sp?) at Clemson in the early years of Deshaun Watson. The difference, of course, was that he couldn't transfer. He stuck around, and when Watson got hurt, he finished out the season for Clemson.

With the new redshirt/transfer rule, schools with the most depth may end up getting hit the hardest. Still, the not-so-good teams are feeling it, too, i.e., Nebraska.

I still think Hurts may do the same at Bama. It's not like a school can pull a scholly if a guy "chooses" to redshirt. I think we'll be seeing a LOT more of this down the road.

I still think Hurts may do the same at Bama. It's not like a school can pull a scholly if a guy "chooses" to redshirt. I think we'll be seeing a LOT more of this down the road.
No if ands or butts about it. It's as close to being a free agent as it can get for these kids. And who can blame them for doing it? It's their lives their short careers they can do what they want with it. Their rolling the dice no matter what they do so at least this way it's more in their control than it ever used to be. But the domino effect of that is what we are seeing with the coaches too. The shady ones will try and hedge their bets to try and keep two good ones as long as they can. Kelly thinks he didn't get a fair shot but of course if Dabo wanted to really screw him over he coulda dragged this out another week and bang he'd have no recourse at all then..

When Kirk has the No. 1 QB recruit out of high school riding the bench for the whole season while the starting QB struggles, then it will be a fair comparison.

How about Mcan't vs Banks? Does that count for something in this argument? ;)

My personal opinion on Bryant is that what he's doing is really, really weak. Instead of staying and being a leader and likely still seeing a good amount of playing time he is taking his ball and going home. All it takes is one injury to the freshman or some freshman-esque rough patches and he'd get his job back.

No if ands or butts about it. It's as close to being a free agent as it can get for these kids. And who can blame them for doing it? It's their lives their short careers they can do what they want with it. Their rolling the dice no matter what they do so at least this way it's more in their control than it ever used to be. But the domino effect of that is what we are seeing with the coaches too. The shady ones will try and hedge their bets to try and keep two good ones as long as they can. Kelly thinks he didn't get a fair shot but of course if Dabo wanted to really screw him over he coulda dragged this out another week and bang he'd have no recourse at all then..

WHich is why I'm surprised Hurts has stayed. But as I said earlier this season, #BigMoney is what is keeping Hurts at Bama, @okeefe4prez and his Saban love/defense of notwithstanding.

My personal opinion on Bryant is that what he's doing is really, really weak. Instead of staying and being a leader and likely still seeing a good amount of playing time he is taking his ball and going home. All it takes is one injury to the freshman or some freshman-esque rough patches and he'd get his job back.

On the other side, why would a coach pull him as the starter on an undefeated team after four games? Swinney, et. al., can't have their cake and eat it too, at least under the new redshirt rules. Swinney, himself, said Bryant has "done nothing wrong". Oddly, the two high-profile QBs to lose their starting jobs are black QBs at Southern schools. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton can't be too far away from Clemson and Tuscaloosa, I'll bet.

This begs the question: assuming--and it's a big assumption, mind you--player input is sought from NCAA and other governing bodies, one wonders if the rule was a response to player complaints of feeling manipulated by coaches over the years? Maybe the NCAA is, for once, being "brilliant" in forcing a coach's hand and making sure a program can't stockpile players just to keep them away from other schools? It almost makes you wonder if the NCAA thinks maybe some schools pay players cold hard cash to come to their schools and stay there?

I just hope Stanley sees the writing on the wall and transfers before he uses more than four games and loses a year of eligibility. Maybe UNI would take him at this point.

Clemson's QB....

lcxyE0D.gif

WHich is why I'm surprised Hurts has stayed. But as I said earlier this season, #BigMoney is what is keeping Hurts at Bama, @okeefe4prez and his Saban love/defense of notwithstanding.
Yeah that situation is interesting too. Hurts probably doesn't have an NFL career at QB for a future. The others mentioned here either probably do or in Bryants case might... If I were Hurts I'm not sure what I'd do. Does he like where he's at? Does he think more of himself than he should? The unknowns of where anyone elses minds are is tricky.

WTF are you talking about? Did you forget to take your meds and confuse Mississippi with Alabama? There is substantial evidence Freeze was paying guys at Ol Miss, but Nick's program is more sterile than an operating room. Hurts is staying because he'd have to sit out a year. Rumor is he's ahead of schedule to graduate and will transfer after the season when he can do it as a grad transfer so he won't have to sit out a year.

WTF are you talking about? Did you forget to take your meds and confuse Mississippi with Alabama? There is substantial evidence Freeze was paying guys at Ol Miss, but Nick's program is more sterile than an operating room. Hurts is staying because he'd have to sit out a year. Rumor is he's ahead of schedule to graduate and will transfer after the season when he can do it as a grad transfer so he won't have to sit out a year.

Dude, "misinformed" is too small a word for your post. Bama has been paying, and continues to pay, as well as or better than anyone else.

This x100. I don’t fault them either, football is a very dangerous game and the window is short, get your time in the sun while you can. Other students transfer constantly. Let hurts or Bryant play as they wish, I have no complaints

Alabama players are getting their money and if you don’t believe that, you are living in an incredibly naive world...

IF Hurts graduates in December after redshirting this season, he would still have two years, FYI.

Again, though, he may really like where he is, and may not care too much or even knows his days as a QB end the very same day his college career ends. Self-awareness is a great trait to have. So, he may just decide to stay at Bama and ride out the last two seasons with little injury risk and an occasional mop-up job.

On the other side, why would a coach pull him as the starter on an undefeated team after four games? Swinney, et. al., can't have their cake and eat it too, at least under the new redshirt rules. Swinney, himself, said Bryant has "done nothing wrong". Oddly, the two high-profile QBs to lose their starting jobs are black QBs at Southern schools. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton can't be too far away from Clemson and Tuscaloosa, I'll bet.
Dabo said that he made the call after 4 games to give Kelly flexibility to redshirt if he desired. Look, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see that Kelly ain't gonna beat Alabama. I don't think Lawrence will either, but his vastly superior arm makes him more likely to do it than Kelly. And Dabo knows he only has him for 3 years. No sense in wasting one of them. Best hope for Clemson is for Lawrence to develop this year and next year and then torch Bama in 2020 when Tua is gone.

Latest posts