Clemson Changing QB’s

hawkinstl

Here is something we will not see at Iowa. Clemson, whose offense is ranked 18th overall scoring 40 points per game is removing their starter for the past 18 games and replacing him with a Freshman.

That’s all.

The freshman QB has the best arm of anyone I've seen as a true freshman. Speculation around here is they'll still give Kelly a few series to keep the defense off balance and go with the hotter hand each week. Clemson's conference schedule is just about as soft as Iowa's, maybe softer, and they have 4 first or second round picks starting on the d-line, so they have a lot of luxuries about messing with the offense. They have a singular goal of figuring out how the hell they are gonna beat Alabama in the playoffs and given Tua's abilities and the soft secondary, their theory is that they'll have to score like 50 points so they are just trying to figure out how to get there.

Clemson has 2 of the top 10 QBs in the country on their roster.. That freshman is the real deal. Dude has a canon at 6'6 230ish. He's looked really good in spot play so far and Bryant hasn't exactly played lights out. If he was playing like Tua is in Bama he'd be holding the freshman off but he's not. Better player plays. Not how it's always been (especially at Iowa) But it's how it outta be

Clemson has 2 of the top 10 QBs in the country on their roster.. That freshman is the real deal. Dude has a canon at 6'6 230ish. He's looked really good in spot play so far and Bryant hasn't exactly played lights out. If he was playing like Tua is in Bama he'd be holding the freshman off but he's not. Better player plays. Not how it's always been (especially at Iowa) But it's how it outta be

They average 40 points a game and are ranked 18th overall. If that’s not exactly lights out, I’ll take some of that.

It’s still just interesting to me they are making the change at this point. It’s not like they are 3-1 averaging 25 points a game.

Apparently, you don't recall a quarterback named Stanzi replacing Jake Christensen, or a QB named Beathard replacing Jake Rudock...

And, as others have pointed out, the two situations are vastly different.

Last edited:
They average 40 points a game and are ranked 18th overall. If that’s not exactly lights out, I’ll take some of that.

It’s still just interesting to me they are making the change at this point. It’s not like they are 3-1 averaging 25 points a game.
Look, this concept seems foreign to many of us, but Clemson isn't playing for 11-1 or 10-2. Dabo ain't gonna walk away from the Pinstripe Bowl with a shit eating grin on his face after beating a Purdue caliber team. Dabo coaches championship football. There are maybe 5 teams that can beat Alabama if Bama has some injuries and plays a sloppy game and Dabo has one of them. He's prepping for when he has to play Georgia, LSU or Bama. That A&M game scared him, he knows they have to get a lot better and he will take the steps necessary to get there.

Apparently, you don't recall a quarterback named Stanzi replacing Jeff Christensen, or a QB named Beathard replacing Jake Rudock...

Jake Christensen, bud. Jeff was Papa Bear who allegedly acted like he knew more about coaching than Kurt and he bought his son a one way ticket to Eastern Illinois or some other shit team.

Here is something we will not see at Iowa. Clemson, whose offense is ranked 18th overall scoring 40 points per game is removing their starter for the past 18 games and replacing him with a Freshman.

That’s all.
aPoL3cU.gif

Very true but if they feel theirs any combination at all of chinks in the armor or improvement to be had by making the move it is what it is. They've seen what this kid can do in practice I think since January he was on campus like Petras has been with us so they must see an upside to him that's just higher. Not sure it's more complicated than that

I just find it interesting is all.

With that said, I wish Stanley showed an ounce of confidence in the 4th quarter of a close game against a ranked opponent. I haven’t seen it yet.

you must have missed the Ohio State game last year or when he threw a TD in the 4th Q of the PSU game last season.

in fact, Stanley has thrown TD passes in the 2nd half (really all in the 4th Q except for Saturday when there was like a minute left in the 3rd) in 4 out 5 of his opportunities against ranked opponents. Don't let that fact get in the way of your thinking though.

Apparently, you don't recall a quarterback named Stanzi replacing Jeff Christensen, or a QB named Beathard replacing Jake Rudock...

Iowa was not 4-0 and ranked 5th in the polls at the time either.

Iowa's offense needs to be better - it did not lose them the game Saturday. Both statements are true IMO. I really wish they had a game this weekend, cause we're going to have to hear people wallow in this for another 12 days.

you must have missed the Ohio State game last year or when he threw a TD in the 4th Q of the PSU game last season.

in fact, Stanley has thrown TD passes in the 2nd half (really all in the 4th Q except for Saturday when there was like a minute left in the 3rd) in 4 out 5 of his opportunities against ranked opponents. Don't let that fact get in the way of your thinking though.

Believe I said a close game. OSU game was a once in a lifetime game for Iowa.

Stanley has a lot of talent for sure. He just seems to tighten up late in games.

If you disagree, that’s fine. It’s just my perception of things.

Believe I said a close game. OSU game was a once in a lifetime game for Iowa.

Stanley has a lot of talent for sure. He just seems to tighten up late in games.

If you disagree, that’s fine. It’s just my perception of things.

well, he's only had 2 of those then - (a close game in the 4th Q w/ a ranked opponent) and he's thrown a 70 yard TD in one, and he threw a TD in the closing minutes of the 3rd Q in the other. I am not saying I agree or disagree with you, just that your statement makes it sound like he chokes in big games which I would disagree with. It's all about opportunity IMO if that's your stance. He was pretty good Saturday.

Here is what I hope happens is that we get a couple big leads and Mansell gets more game reps. I would love nothing better than to have BF tried to get a 24 pt 4th qtr lead, maybe against a Minny or jNW, who knows, and then let Mansell run the regular offense, let him pass the ball in a couple of series.

It is not usually what happens but I dont think anyone saw the 2015 large lead we had at jNW either or the big leads against Nebby the last couple of years.