Clayborn's decline

Besides the stats, Clayborn is not as disruptive overall.

He certainly isn't playing like you would expect a 1st rounder to play.

although the defense is the easy target. I personally believe the offenses inability to sustain drives when it really counts is more to blame. I don't even necessarily think we've needed to score, just take some time off the clock, flip the field position, and let the defense rest. WAAYYY to many 3 and outs, some of it is on execution and penalties, but some is on the playcalling and predictability.

Clayborn clearly does not have the stats he did last year. But if people think the Dline is out of shape after 11 games, thee're wrong.

all I know is when the game was on the line Heyward made a play for tOSU......Clayborn hasnt this year when it counts

How does anybody know what kind of effort any player is giving? Its nice to say but nobody really knows.

I wonder if he was hurt on the illegal crackback block the thug from Wisky put on him? Seems like he might be dinged up

poor effort? how about poor post.

Do you think that the coverage that Angerer and Edds provided last season helped Adrian get to the QB? Maybe? D is played with 11 players, not 1.

Goes right along with my previous post. I never realized juts how good Edds was in coverage until this year. If the LB's and DB's could force the opposing QB to hold onto the ball for an extra second it would make a world of difference.

Facts are facts, but what you just said was an opinion. People that talk sh#t about Clayborn are idiots. The guy bleeds black and gold and gave up millions to make a run for us Iowa fans. I'm more disapointed in the play of some of the other d-line members than Clayborn.

Face is Iowa lost 3 NFL caliber players to the draft last year. The defense was more hyped than they should have been. Whenever you lose 3 starters to the NFL you aren't going to be good the following year. All the injuries at linebacker don't help the cause either. Fact is AC was so dominant last year because Angerer and Edds were great at filling holes and this year teams didn't have to focus on those two, instead they focused on AC more. He will get drafted in the top 20 and have a fantastic pro career. Not every NFL team will be focusing on him like he was focused on this year.

The guy is still a good player, don't get me wrong, but he is not performing as well individually this year.

His 1 on 1 game versus offensive lineman is not as explosive or disruptive. He looks like he gained bad weight.

Facts are facts, but what you just said was an opinion. People that talk sh#t about Clayborn are idiots. The guy bleeds black and gold and gave up millions to make a run for us Iowa fans. I'm more disapointed in the play of some of the other d-line members than Clayborn.

Klug and Ballard have flashed here and there, but Daniels seems like the guy who has taken the most advantage of the clayborn double teams. Maybe some more stunts and twists would have freed some guys up......I don't know.

Most of the NFL teams do their homework if Clayborn slides then most of you will be accurate.....if he doesn't, well.............

[/B]
Klug and Ballard have flashed here and there, but Daniels seems like the guy who has taken the most advantage of the clayborn double teams. Maybe some more stunts and twists would have freed some guys up......I don't know.

Most of the NFL teams do their homework if Clayborn slides then most of you will be accurate.....if he doesn't, well.............

Daniels has been seemingly having more trouble getting off of blocks lately.

However, that said, tOSU has a VERY good interior line.

I still think that folks aren't appreciating how much of the production of the DL benefitted from outstanding coverage. The coverage hasn't been what it was before.

For folks who have actually been paying attention ... we had a tremendous DL when King and Kroul were 4th-year seniors ... and yet we didn't get many sacks that year either. That year we were also a bit young/inexperienced when it came to coverage too.

Coincidence? I think not ....

Anyhow, I think that the DL has been VERY solid throughout the year.

It's not like we had exactly the same D as last year and now all of a sudden the DL isn't getting the same production as before.

Furthermore, Iowa's run D has been MUCH BETTER this year than last. The problem is that our pass D has not.

Furthermore, guys like Angerer and Edds were tremendous when it came to helping contain mobile QBs and playing amazing coverage (for guys their size).

Yep, he's lost a lot of money this season. Very poor effort all season.

********. It's this wussy *** defensive scheme that has our front four working their ***** off to get a pass rush while our defensive backs give 10 yard cushions and allow quick 7-8 yard completions.

Our scheme is gutless and places no trust in our players. We hope for the opposing team to get either impatient or make a mistake.

Totally sick of this crap going around about how poorly the d-line has played. Double and triple teamed all year, Clayborne has played his heart out. Front four has been fine.

Let's be realistic. Linebackers and defensive backs play soft. The problems with our 'd' start and end there. Soft at corner and slow at linebacker.

No it's not. His production, or lack thereof, shows he's not the same player.

His draft status will show it to. NFL scouts will watch the tape to see if there were extenuating circumstances that made a player not get the expected stats.

We're not saying he's a bad player. We're saying he's not as good as last year.

FACT.

His draft status shows us you know nothing!

To get technical, Clayborn could have been a top 5 pick last year. So his stock did suffer. But still, being a first round pick is hardly something to sneeze at.

Latest posts