Clark could Play for the Men's Team

Yeah take that Nowell kid from KSU he's 5'8 so she's got 4 inches on him. But I'd take him to beat her 11-0 one on one every time until he gets bored.

Nowell is 5'8 at best, but he is built like a tank. I would bet he wouldn't even need to hand check her...he would just sit back and dare her to try and get shots off.

I have debated this with some co-workers. I am comfortable saying she could play competitively with men at the NAIA/DIII level. Her shooting is other worldly and she is a good enough athlete to defend.

But, I watched the Creighton/SDSU game right before Iowa's game last night and the level of speed and physicality and size at the DI level would overwhelm her. She would be giving up 40 pounds of muscle to the guards she would go up against. Yes, she could probably get her shots off and score some, but defending would be the real issue.
Iowa men aren’t competitive against the current version of these teams so there’s that…

Yeah. It's not a matter of being sexist, it's just that biologically male and female D1 athletes couldn't be farther apart. Males are bigger, faster, and stronger physically. Clark is the absolute best at what she does but she'd get run off the court on a men's squad. It wouldn't even be close. Zero chance she gets shots off against men's players. And that's ok because she's limited by chromosomes.
If not sexist, given the male/female genetic differences used to explain how badly men would beat up on good female players, why are we comparing them with all kinds of negative language? Some of these posts are moving my views even further toward questioning the motives of some posters behind this thread. Plain and simple: This analysis is foolish and inappropriate. Male dominance? OK, I guess. If that is your thing.

EducatedWeeklyBluemorphobutterfly-max-1mb.gif

This women is twice Andy's size and he moped the floor with her.

Clark is awesome, the GOAT, that said, I think a lot of dudes on this forum could likely beat her in a game of basketball. Maybe not straight up shooting, but she would struggle against any dude over 6 foot in a game of basketball.
That rules me out LOL. I'm five foot nine. I'd have no chance:)

If not sexist, given the male/female genetic differences used to explain how badly men would beat up on good female players, why are we comparing them with all kinds of negative language? Some of these posts are moving my views even further toward questioning the motives of some posters behind this thread. Plain and simple: This analysis is foolish and inappropriate. Male dominance? OK, I guess. If that is your thing.
Keep in mind we are only discussing basketball here. There are plenty of non physical things in life that women are way better at than men.

Fry, respectfully you need to lock this thread. I thought it was an interesting debate at first and I have discussed it with friends as well just given how unreal Clark has been this year. But, unfortunately, the thread has devolved into not so veiled machismo seemingly taking pride/joy in bragging about how men beat up and "destroy" women in sports and other physical activities. I fully understand that a lot of posts here are made in gest, and this is not a critique against any specific post, but the tenor and language of the thread have drifted into a questionable place IMHO. As best I know this forum is all men. Is it really a good thing for a bunch of men to be sitting around talking and joking about how we are better than women physically? I would be sad if my 14 year old daughter read some of these posts. Let's go back to discussing actual sports issues. I won't be adding anything further here and I am excited to discuss Iowa Women's Basketball in a way that celebrates their unbelievable achievements.

Fry, respectfully you need to lock this thread. I thought it was an interesting debate at first and I have discussed it with friends as well just given how unreal Clark has been this year. But, unfortunately, the thread has devolved into not so veiled machismo seemingly taking pride/joy in bragging about how men beat up and "destroy" women in sports and other physical activities. I fully understand that a lot of posts here are made in gest, and this is not a critique against any specific post, but the tenor and language of the thread have drifted into a questionable place IMHO. As best I know this forum is all men. Is it really a good thing for a bunch of men to be sitting around talking and joking about how we are better than women physically? I would be sad if my 14 year old daughter read some of these posts. Let's go back to discussing actual sports issues. I won't be adding anything further here and I am excited to discuss Iowa Women's Basketball in a way that celebrates their unbelievable achievements.
That was a point I have been trying to make. You have done so far better than I. Thank you. Fry, North is right. Drop this thread, please.

Don't know if she could play defense for the men? But on the other hand she might fit in well with our team! Offensively she can shoot and pass better than almost any men's player I have seen this year. And she is a tremendous Hot Dog. Really a huge thing for Women's basketball and her University
Could we "swap" staff also? Matt can stay... Go Hawks!

Yeah, you'd have to be in shape .... which I can't exactly claim myself....but let's get real. I played against a couple of D1 girls back in my day and I wasn't good enough to play at even a small private school like Simpson or Morningside. I could beat both of them with one hand tied behind my back. Probably could beat both of them 2 on 1.
I usually agree with and like your posts. But you are way off on this and most are. Girls now are way better athletes and basketball players than you are giving them credit for. Clark is definitely at the the level of D3 mens player. Her shooting alone is insane and would have no issues getting a shot off. She is 6 foot tall. She can also shoot it from 25+ feet. No one on here could stay in front of her trying to guard that far away from the hoop in space.

Also I coach HS girls basketball. We have been a top 3 team the past two years in our class. We have a one mid major player and 2 probably d2 players. (They are soph and jrs) They are freaking good. No one on here could compete with them either. You all need to get out of the past. Girls bball player are stronger, faster and more skilled now than they ever have been plus they can shoot it with more range.

I know some of you are joking but unfortunately most aren't which blows my mind.

The main point is to enjoy what we are witnessing with CC and the Iowa team, someone like her doesn't come around very often if ever. She is basically Steph Curry.

Unfortunately, there was only one way this thread was going to go as it was a question that marked a line in the sand between women and men.

I just appreciate CC being a hell of a basketball player and I think we are fortunate to have her from Iowa and playing in Iowa representing our university. It's been an awesome ride.

I usually agree with and like your posts. But you are way off on this and most are. Girls now are way better athletes and basketball players than you are giving them credit for. Clark is definitely at the the level of D3 mens player. Her shooting alone is insane and would have no issues getting a shot off. She is 6 foot tall. She can also shoot it from 25+ feet. No one on here could stay in front of her trying to guard that far away from the hoop in space.

Also I coach HS girls basketball. We have been a top 3 team the past two years in our class. We have a one mid major player and 2 probably d2 players. (They are soph and jrs) They are freaking good. No one on here could compete with them either. You all need to get out of the past. Girls bball player are stronger, faster and more skilled now than they ever have been plus they can shoot it with more range.

I know some of you are joking but unfortunately most aren't which blows my mind.

The main point is to enjoy what we are witnessing with CC and the Iowa team, someone like her doesn't come around very often if ever. She is basically Steph Curry.

I agree and what I initially thought when reading the thread.

I revert back to the link posted some time ago explaining how most men's scout teams get their azzes handed to them scrimmaging the women's teams. I believe it. Women's basketball, if anything, shows how the product of the whole is better than just individual players. Yes, there are great players, but women's basketball is so much more technical. If a women's team has a great coach, they are going to run a system and mop up.

Now you take the players individually, yes I can see some struggling or their numbers going down a bit. I think CC would hold her own as she's a baller on a different level. One-on-one against a top player, men or women is prob not CC's best game. She's effective when she has other players around her.

Honestly, this post has not gone down any road that needs to be skirted. It is not offensive to say that most girls wouldn't be able to compete with men in sports at the highest level. It's a debate as old as time and just because the climate right now is "sensitive/hot button" to trans culture and trans laws and rights and being driven in the media with politics specifically with sports, it does not cross some imaginary line.

It's actually good debate.

If it's offensive to state that a girl can't compete with the guys, then it's equally offensive to say that girls can compete with guys no? I mean, that is saying exactly what I am saying but the opposite right? Is that not offensive to men and exactly what is being said about a woman?

I say Caitlin Clark can't compete with men basketball players - offensive to 14 year old girls

You say Caitlin Clark CAN compete with men basketball players - totally fine, not offensive to 14 year old boys.

Don't outsmart yourself guys.

If your 14 year old daughter stumbled on this site, it was only after she had exhausted the traps of Twitter, Facebook, TikTok or something that has things that are truly harmful for a teenager to read.

If there was a woman on this site, I would hope she would chime in with her opinion.

Honestly, this post has not gone down any road that needs to be skirted. It is not offensive to say that most girls wouldn't be able to compete with men in sports at the highest level. It's a debate as old as time and just because the climate right now is "sensitive/hot button" to trans culture and trans laws and rights and being driven in the media with politics specifically with sports, it does not cross some imaginary line.

It's actually good debate.

If it's offensive to state that a girl can't compete with the guys, then it's equally offensive to say that girls can compete with guys no? I mean, that is saying exactly what I am saying but the opposite right? Is that not offensive to men and exactly what is being said about a woman?

I say Caitlin Clark can't compete with men basketball players - offensive to 14 year old girls

You say Caitlin Clark CAN compete with men basketball players - totally fine, not offensive to 14 year old boys.

Don't outsmart yourself guys.

If your 14 year old daughter stumbled on this site, it was only after she had exhausted the traps of Twitter, Facebook, TikTok or something that has things that are truly harmful for a teenager to read.

If there was a woman on this site, I would hope she would chime in with her opinion.

Completely agree. I never had a problem with the discussion and think it's a healthy debate. I thought asking for it to be taken down was a drastic request. People are not too quick to act when they feel just a tad uncomfortable. It's weird.

If anything, this thread should show the complete respect people have for CC and her game.

I am definitely not joking or saying it in jest. I think that's actually quite more offensive to do that. I appreciate that you like some of my other posts but that doesn't really change how I feel.

I said in my original post that Caitlin is a next level shooter and that would translate at any level. I also said that a lot of dudes who are on this board could likely beat her in a game of basketball. I just meant one on one really.

I also don't live in a cave where I get no exposure to women who play sports. They are stronger, they are faster and IMO - women's sports are at the highest level they've ever been. I only drew on my experience growing up. I am sure a lot has changed and the world has certainly changed for them and they have more opportunity then ever before. I would fight for that right. They deserve the same stage and equal rights that men get to play and compete with.

that said, and feelings aside, let's be honest. She is not basically Steph Curry. They aren't equal in any fashion or comparable at least from a basketball, genetic or athletic stand point and me saying that shouldn't offend you, Caitlin or any other person reading it. But that's ok. Not everything and everyone in the world are created equal. Things aren't always fair. If it does offend you, please state why. If you can give me a reason why, I will honestly do my best to objectively see your side of things.

I am not trying to be a jerk, I am not trying to just be a contrarian, I'm just giving my opinion on the topic.

but... with Steph...They are not the same gender, not the same race, not the same height, not the same weight, not the same speed. They didn't come from the same background, they didn't go to the same schools. There's nothing close to Caitlin Clark that is like Steph Curry. I mean, I guess they both play basketball and she can shoot it from distance. But that's about where I would end it. You could compare her to at least a million other people just as easy as Steph, probably easier.

and saying all of that is with me being a HUGE CC fan. She's the GOAT. Best women's player of all time imo - I am appreciative and enjoying what we have.

1680034823565.png

"It takes a certain mental energy to wrestle, a certain strategy. “Women, I do not think, possess this. Now, there are times when the woman does have this mental energy, for example in the kitchen, scrubbing the potatoes, washing the carrots, scrubbing the floors, raising the babies." -Andy Kaufman

You know what, it would be very interesting to see.....if say.....Clark accomplishes so much to end this year and next year....that her Covid year....if the NCAA would let her.....play on the men's team and see what she can do.

On the other hand, I would rather her just keep playing women's ball and keep dominating...it is so fun to watch.

I am definitely not joking or saying it in jest. I think that's actually quite more offensive to do that. I appreciate that you like some of my other posts but that doesn't really change how I feel.

I said in my original post that Caitlin is a next level shooter and that would translate at any level. I also said that a lot of dudes who are on this board could likely beat her in a game of basketball. I just meant one on one really.

I also don't live in a cave where I get no exposure to women who play sports. They are stronger, they are faster and IMO - women's sports are at the highest level they've ever been. I only drew on my experience growing up. I am sure a lot has changed and the world has certainly changed for them and they have more opportunity then ever before. I would fight for that right. They deserve the same stage and equal rights that men get to play and compete with.

that said, and feelings aside, let's be honest. She is not basically Steph Curry. They aren't equal in any fashion or comparable at least from a basketball, genetic or athletic stand point and me saying that shouldn't offend you, Caitlin or any other person reading it. But that's ok. Not everything and everyone in the world are created equal. Things aren't always fair. If it does offend you, please state why. If you can give me a reason why, I will honestly do my best to objectively see your side of things.

I am not trying to be a jerk, I am not trying to just be a contrarian, I'm just giving my opinion on the topic.

but... with Steph...They are not the same gender, not the same race, not the same height, not the same weight, not the same speed. They didn't come from the same background, they didn't go to the same schools. There's nothing close to Caitlin Clark that is like Steph Curry. I mean, I guess they both play basketball and she can shoot it from distance. But that's about where I would end it. You could compare her to at least a million other people just as easy as Steph, probably easier.

and saying all of that is with me being a HUGE CC fan. She's the GOAT. Best women's player of all time imo - I am appreciative and enjoying what we have.
Well said. No question they both can launch and be deadly accurate. In fact, I would not be surprised if Clark could beat Curry in a game of horse...and vice-versa.

But, if they played one-on-one.....Curry takes 10 out of 10 games.