CJF Recruiting

I agree, Jok, etc. had better pedigree than CJF. Part of the surprise surrounding CJ is the series of "hyperbole practice shooters" who were advertised as future sharpshooters who would lift the team, only to see them be, less than advertised. CJ has changed the narrative, in a very impressive way.

Jok has a moderately better pedigree, but CJF wasn't without one. He was also objectively the best shooter on statistics alone making 49% of his 3's as a senior in high school vs 42% for Jok. Oglesby was a little under 40% as a senior. For reference, Connor shot 41% shooter as a senior on about the same volume as Oglesby.

I can't find it now, but I believe Ellingson shot 48% in high school. That may seem like an outlier to you, but Ellingson's problem wasn't his shooting, it was his athleticism. He actually shot 47.1% as a sophomore at Iowa on limited volume, he just couldn't keep up in the B1G. When he went to Drake, he tore it up shooting 46.9% and averaging 11.8 per game.

This is all to say that we all should have seen this coming considering that CJ played PG in high school and Fran was praising his defensive prowess within the first few practices of his redshirt year.

Jok has a moderately better pedigree, but CJF wasn't without one. He was also objectively the best shooter on statistics alone making 49% of his 3's as a senior in high school vs 42% for Jok. Oglesby was a little under 40% as a senior. For reference, Connor shot 41% shooter as a senior on about the same volume as Oglesby.

I can't find it now, but I believe Ellingson shot 48% in high school. That may seem like an outlier to you, but Ellingson's problem wasn't his shooting, it was his athleticism. He actually shot 47.1% as a sophomore at Iowa on limited volume, he just couldn't keep up in the B1G. When he went to Drake, he tore it up shooting 46.9% and averaging 11.8 per game.

This is all to say that we all should have seen this coming considering that CJ played PG in high school and Fran was praising his defensive prowess within the first few practices of his redshirt year.
He certainly is a nice surprise, given the many aspects to his game.

I agree. But there was actual hype for these players. With one being a legacy recruit and the other being an in state recruit, they weren't really suprises even if they did exceed expectations.

I agree on Jok, he was considered to be the top recruit in his class before his injuries. But I don't think anyone expected Marble to be that good even though he was a legacy recruit. Marble came in as a 2 star and I don't remember much hype surrounding him at all, other than the fact he was Roy Marble Sr's son.

I agree on Jok, he was considered to be the top recruit in his class before his injuries. But I don't think anyone expected Marble to be that good even though he was a legacy recruit. Marble came in as a 2 star and I don't remember much hype surrounding him at all, other than the fact he was Roy Marble Sr's son.

I think some casual fans instate had high hopes but based on the evidence, those expectations werent realistic or a majority among people that followed basketball closer.

So yea, I was wrong. But some players recruiting rankings are hurt by deciding early where they're going to school - less offers and scouts spend time on them. Can't remember if that was the case here or not.

People have been saying Fran is doing his best coaching job this year. It's easy when you have a guy playing like an All American. In '15, Uthoff played like an All American for 2/3 of the season and fot us up to 3rd in the ranking. After that he dropped off and played closer to a borderline 1st/2nd team all conference player. Pretty good, but a pretty big drop off. If he would have kept his pace, Fran would have had his best coaching year winning us a Big 10 Title. It's easy when players play good.

“Easy” and winning a BT Championship are not in the same universe.

I didn't realize that the Kentucky/Ohio St line was within the southern burbs of Cincinnati. I was confused for a while where CJF was actually from. I always thought Kentucky but then would hear on broadcasts, etc. Cincinnati OH.

He's from Covington which is a south suburb of Cincy but in Kentucky.

Latest posts