CJB Playing time Tomorrow

DBAHawkFan

Any guesses on how much, if at all CJ gets tomorrow?

While in my opinion Jake played ok (that was about his ceiling), CJ never really got much to show as he was running a different offense.

The biggest sign his playing time may just be a series or two at most was after scoring the last (and only ) TD of the 2nd half, he went back to the bench.

I think it's important CJ still gets playing time so he's a lil more ready to take over when Jake gets hurt (and you have to agree, he is injury prone).

Guess see what happens

Any guesses on how much, if at all CJ gets tomorrow?

While in my opinion Jake played ok (that was about his ceiling), CJ never really got much to show as he was running a different offense.

The biggest sign his playing time may just be a series or two at most was after scoring the last (and only ) TD of the 2nd half, he went back to the bench.

I think it's important CJ still gets playing time so he's a lil more ready to take over when Jake gets hurt (and you have to agree, he is injury prone).

Guess see what happens

Well that is interesting you telling us that we have to agree? Seriously I'm actually wondering how you came to the conclusion that JR is injury prone? JR has started all but 1 game in 2 years and started every game in 2013. I'm not following DBA!

My guess is he gets at least 2 or 3 series in the game. More if Rudock struggles at all, or if the team plays better with him in there.

I think that you have to agree that there is no way you pull a QB who was playing as well as JR was in the Indiana game.

Jake played well last week. KF will play CJ for a couple series and give Jake the rest of the game. If Iowa's not moving the ball and gets a couple scores behind CJ may get more time.

It should be based on circumstances, not the concept:

If Jake is playing like he did last week, CJ shouldn't see the field. I love that Kirk has been open to the in-game qb competition this season, it means he's aware the status quo may not be the best choice, but he Kirked it up last week. The offense was seemingly firing on all cylinders, yet his response was to put in the backup?

If Jake is playing like the Jake I know and get frustrated with, CJ should play for 15 minutes at least. Jake likes to make a read, maybe two, then make a poor effort to escape imaginary pressure (that's when he's not checking the ball down). However, CJ tends to be pretty inaccurate from what I've seen. I don't know that there's an easy answer to this question lol

My guess is he gets at least 2 or 3 series in the game. More if Rudock struggles at all, or if the team plays better with him in there.

I think that you have to agree that there is no way you pull a QB who was playing as well as JR was in the Indiana game.
Can you realistically say Rudock played well for more than 1 quarter? That would be my estimate: that Rudock played well for 1 quarter, that he put pressure on Indiana's defense for 1 quarter and game managed for 2+ quarters. Now, if you want a game manager, Jake's ALWAYS been up that alley but, IMO, Iowa needs more than a game manager this season with this defense.

Last edited:
Can you realistically say Rudock played well for more than 1 quarter? That would be my estimate: that Rudock played well for 1 quarter, that he put pressure on Indiana's defense for 1 quarter and game managed for 2+ quarters. Now, if you want a game manager, Jake's ALWAYS been up that alley but, IMO, Iowa needs more than a game manager this season with this defense.

He played very well the entire half. Jake got 3 series in the 2nd qtr and got 10 points off those 3 possessions. On the drive Iowa got the FG, he attempted 2 passes, 1 for a 31 yard gain to Tevaun Smith, that flipped field position, the other incomplete. On the TD drive he hit Smith for a first down on 3rd and 12, and he would have had a 25 yard TD pass to KMM if the D wouldn't have pass interfered with him, but the drive ultimately ended in a TD anyway.

It isn't Jakes fault that the Iowa coaches then went into shut down mode for the 2nd half. To even complain about that game just shows how some just can't take the blinders off. JR had 7 possessions in the first half, and Iowa scored 31 offensive points. 4 of his 7 drives went for TD's and 5 of 7 drives resulted in points. That is freaking production and to try to spin it any other way is just sour grapes cause "your" guy didn't do it.

Yes.

He played very well the entire half. Jake got 3 series in the 2nd qtr and got 10 points off those 3 possessions. On the drive Iowa got the FG, he attempted 2 passes, 1 for a 31 yard gain to Tevaun Smith, that flipped field position, the other incomplete. On the TD drive he hit Smith for a first down on 3rd and 12, and he would have had a 25 yard TD pass to KMM if the D wouldn't have pass interfered with him, but the drive ultimately ended in a TD anyway.

It isn't Jakes fault that the Iowa coaches then went into shut down mode for the 2nd half. To even complain about that game just shows how some just can't take the blinders off. JR had 7 possessions in the first half, and Iowa scored 31 offensive points. 4 of his 7 drives went for TD's and 5 of 7 drives resulted in points. That is freaking production and to try to spin it any other way is just sour grapes cause "your" guy didn't do it.

Yes Jake did well in the first half, before KF went into ball control. However, Indiana's scoring defense is rated 91st.

I remain unconvinced our offense is hitting on all cylinders. I really hope today's MD game goes our way. MD's scoring defense is rated 65th. Not a powerhouse defense, but our offense will need to step up even more.

I have no expectations.

If Jake is playing well, leave him in. If not, give CJ a shot.

Thats about how I feel but Jake will probably have a bit longer leash as Jake played better than I've ever seen CJ play.

KF is going to play to win period. They should have been doing the duel QB thing the first 4 games. This JR job unless he cant get it done. Maybe it shouldn't have been but it is now

I don't think Kirk is comfortable playing CJ in a close game as evident by him putting Jake back in the game after Indiana made it a 16 point game. If Rudock struggles or if our defense can't stop them, I don't think CJ plays much if any.

Yes Jake did well in the first half, before KF went into ball control. However, Indiana's scoring defense is rated 91st.

I remain unconvinced our offense is hitting on all cylinders. I really hope today's MD game goes our way. MD's scoring defense is rated 65th. Not a powerhouse defense, but our offense will need to step up even more.
As you say, if KF went into game manager offense in the second half (I say middle of 2nd quarter) of the game against Indiana, does that mean CJB is in KF's doghouse again.. because CJB lead TD drives after Iowa was supposedly coasting offensively? Did CJB not get the memo? Is he a renegade? What I'm saying is, IMO, Iowa wasn't in game manager mode in the 4th, and CJB was put into the lineup to add an offensive pop that was lacking.

If Iowa was supposedly in coasting mode against Indiana, was that warranted? Except for an interception in the end zone at the end, that game would have been a two score game, and with Iowa's propensity to foil opponents' on side kicks...

Last edited:
I thought you guys concluded a game manager at QB wasn't enough for Iowa. Rudock has always been a proficient game manager even against ISU. Have you changed your minds?

As you say, if KF went into game manager offense in the second half (I say middle of 2nd quarter) of the game against Indiana, does that mean CJB is in KF's doghouse again.. because CJB lead TD drives after Iowa was supposedly coasting offensively? Did CJB not get the memo? Is he a renegade? What I'm saying is, IMO, Iowa wasn't in game manager mode in the 4th, and CJB was put into the lineup to add an offensive pop that was lacking.

If Iowa was supposedly in coasting mode against Indiana, was that warranted? Except for an interception in the end zone at the end, that game would have been a two score game, and with Iowa's propensity to foil opponents' on side kicks...

I don't think at all that CJ was put in to give as an offensive pop. I think he was put in because Kirk thought the game was comfortable enough to give CJ some reps. I think the fact that Kirk went back to Jake after Indiana scored and got the 2 point conversation proves my theory is correct. If he would have stayed with CJ after their score I would probably agree with you.

Chime in if you so desire.

I think that the people who were saying that a game manager isn't enough still feel that way. I also think it's pretty clear that Rudock's bad is better than CJ's bad. I also think that CJ's good is better than Jake's good. I also think that while Jake did have a good game last week, he gets a little too much credit for the first quarter we had. 21 points were scored on a run, a pick six, and a long pass to a wide open receiver that CJ would have hit at least 9 out of 10 times. Other than that spurt, our offense only looked mildly better than it has the rest of the year. That improvement is mostly credited to Jake playing better though.