CJ Fredrick Addresses Tampering Charge Against Kentucky

Yeah, time for both parties to move on (which I'm sure they have). Just no well-wishes from me.

Similar to Moss leaving, I'm sure he will be a small role player coming off the bench and we won't hear his name again unless we go looking for it.
It would be funny if he ends up not starting and having a lessor role for them. The way they recruit guards that's entirely possible. All I know about UKs hoops team is that they stunk at shooting 3s last yr and lost a ton of games and didn't make the tourny. So I'm sure he fits in as a spread the floor guy to an extent but that'll be it. About every team wants one of those. But they won't ask him to handle the ball much or be leaned on to score a ton. If he matches his production what he did at Iowa per game for them I'll be surprised.

It would be funny if he ends up not starting and having a lessor role for them. The way they recruit guards that's entirely possible. All I know about UKs hoops team is that they stunk at shooting 3s last yr and lost a ton of games and didn't make the tourny. So I'm sure he fits in as a spread the floor guy to an extent but that'll be it. About every team wants one of those. But they won't ask him to handle the ball much or be leaned on to score a ton. If he matches his production what he did at Iowa per game for them I'll be surprised.

Honestly, this is how I see it too. I don't want to sound like I'm wishing ill on the kid because I really do think everyone just sort of needs to move on, but I think he is like an insurance policy for UK. He's like an NBA reserve kind of target for them to have - i.e. nice to bring off the bench in a well defined (limited) role for a fixed number of minutes.

Maybe he'll shock us and be a 30+ minute productive contributor for them, but I don't see it happening. UK is essentially a G-League team.

Again, all kind of disappointing as an Iowa fan because I really think CJ was setup to be a key player for us for the coming couple seasons. Playing maximum minutes and easily getting into the ~14 ppg kind of production range. But, on the other hand, I'm sure Calipari is telling him anything and everything he wants to hear, so I'm sure he thinks he's going to get to be That Guy at his dream school.

To put it into terms I can relate to, I think this would be like growing up a big Hawk fan in Cedar Rapids, watching their games, hero worshipping the players, etc and being a solid HS prospect that couldn't get a Big Ten offer and landed at UNI. You go on to be a solid, promising player MVC for a couple years but you've got a lot of family and connections down in Hawkeyeland and you're hearing their might be a spot for you. I could imagine your heart being set a little aflutter by the prospect...your bright future at UNI, everything the school has done to give you a chance and support you and all that could very quickly start to sound like so much blah blah blah when you lay in bed at night picturing your name being said over the PA at Carver.

If Kentucky fans think they are getting Tyler Herro they are going to be disappointed. Other than his uncle I hope no one else is putting those type of expectations on him.

I'd bet my house that CJ didn't say shit to him. He doesn't seem like the kind of kid that has the balls to talk about it like a man. Probably had his uncle email Fran.

That's just it if he had been more forthcoming about what he wanted to do this wouldn't be a big deal because we would all kinda get it. The way he handled it was equivalent to breaking up with someone via text.

Last edited:
Honestly, this is how I see it too. I don't want to sound like I'm wishing ill on the kid because I really do think everyone just sort of needs to move on, but I think he is like an insurance policy for UK. He's like an NBA reserve kind of target for them to have - i.e. nice to bring off the bench in a well defined (limited) role for a fixed number of minutes.

Maybe he'll shock us and be a 30+ minute productive contributor for them, but I don't see it happening. UK is essentially a G-League team.

Again, all kind of disappointing as an Iowa fan because I really think CJ was setup to be a key player for us for the coming couple seasons. Playing maximum minutes and easily getting into the ~14 ppg kind of production range. But, on the other hand, I'm sure Calipari is telling him anything and everything he wants to hear, so I'm sure he thinks he's going to get to be That Guy at his dream school.

To put it into terms I can relate to, I think this would be like growing up a big Hawk fan in Cedar Rapids, watching their games, hero worshipping the players, etc and being a solid HS prospect that couldn't get a Big Ten offer and landed at UNI. You go on to be a solid, promising player MVC for a couple years but you've got a lot of family and connections down in Hawkeyeland and you're hearing their might be a spot for you. I could imagine your heart being set a little aflutter by the prospect...your bright future at UNI, everything the school has done to give you a chance and support you and all that could very quickly start to sound like so much blah blah blah when you lay in bed at night picturing your name being said over the PA at Carver.
So CJ has been spanking it to that Big Blue Kentucky poster all along? ;)

So CJ has been spanking it to that Big Blue Kentucky poster all along? ;)

Spanking it with a little self-flagellation to top it off

Silas Self Flagellation GIF - Silas SelfFlagellation TheDaVinciCode -  Discover & Share GIFs

It’s basketball and these things happen. When Indiana lost one of their best players to us in Luke Recker were we all taking about him being a trader? Yes, the Indiana fans were very upset. I lived in Indiana at the time that went down. At work that day all the Indiana faithful were deeply distressed. I had to control myself from falling out of my chair laughing during lunch break. He was their golden child and they talked about him all the time during lunch breaks until he decided to transfer and decided to be a black and golden child for Iowa. Lol, I still laugh about it even today. At the time the Indiana faithful thought they were gods gift to college basketball.

No one likes to lose a good player. If it was one of our bench warmer players would people be feeling this way. Nope.

Since he is out of the conference good luck to him. We just need to move on and find a better player to replace him. I think we have a very rough season a head of us. If Joe W decides to return that would help give me some hope, but if he doesn’t, well it’s not going to be pretty.
The Recker situation was not the same at all. He actually transferred from Indiana to Arizona and had to sit out a year. During that year, he and some friends including his girlfriend were involved in a terrible car accident. She was paralyzed and he was badly hurt. He had an uncle, I believe, that he went to live with in Iowa and then decided to play for the Hawkeyes.
As far as CJ goes, I'm sorry kid. There is just too much evidence that Kentucky wiggled their finger at you and you took the bait. I don't wish you any harm, but I'm certainly not pulling for you.

That's just it if he had been more forthcoming about what he wanted to do this wouldn't be a big deal because we would all kinda get it. The way he handled it was equivalent to breaking up with someone via text.
Yeah. And I suspect it's worse then that. I think he told Fran he was fully invested in the team and close to being ready to practice full time like a day or so prior to that press conference Fran had. Hence why Fran said what he did about him. With the rumors out there I bet Fran asked him point blank if he was considering transfering or not.

For Fran to do what he did makes me think the kid just outright lied to him.... Granted I wasn't there I'm just tying the timeline of events together in context to what makes sense. But from what we know that's what I think makes sense..

Yeah. And I suspect it's worse then that. I think he told Fran he was fully invested in the team and close to being ready to practice full time like a day or so prior to that press conference Fran had. Hence why Fran said what he did about him. With the rumors out there I bet Fran asked him point blank if he was considering transfering or not.

For Fran to do what he did makes me think the kid just outright lied to him.... Granted I wasn't there I'm just tying the timeline of events together in context to what makes sense. But from what we know that's what I think makes sense..
I would support this notion as well. I would think that Fran would not have put those statements out there in the presser if he did not think he was coming back. CJ shit on him and the team.

I would support this notion as well. I would think that Fran would not have put those statements out there in the presser if he did not think he was coming back. CJ shit on him and the team.
Fran doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would try to read between the lines with his players. He seems to be pretty blunt and to the point when coaching and talking about them. It's an assumption on my part to think he directly asked him about his plans shortly before that pressor but that's what I think likely happened anyway.

If he has another injury at UK, unlike Iowa, there are two or three 4 star freshman looking for his minutes. Better hope he doesn't have a shooting slump or injury cuz he might never see the court.

Such a comical farce.

He is not lying. Of course no one from Kentucky contacted him DIRECTLY. These things work through back channels.

Of course he lied to Fran. He did not have things lined up with Kentucky at the time he met with Fran, but he knew there was a good possibility. What are his options? Be candid with Fran and say that Kentucky has been in touch with my Uncle, but they are not sure if they have a spot for me? No way he could do that. He could have given Fran a hint he was leaving, but given the rumor mill, I am sure Fran asked him if he was thinking of leaving for Kentucky and if he copped to that, Fran would have moved on from him.

Once he knew he had a spot at Cal$ U, he told Fran, entered the portal, and then waited a respectable amount of time to "weigh his options" before he accepted the offer. He looked out for himself in a shitty situation created by NCAA rules that put 20 year old kids in no win situations.

Latest posts