Christian Vital

I still think if anyone leaves it will be next year. They are all on a D-1 scholarship and should have enough confidence that they will be one of the guys in the rotation. There are a lot of minutes up for grabs.
With each passing day I lean towards that too... If Ellingson and Fleming have confidence in themselves and like being at Iowa then I think they'll give it another go. Basically it comes down to how realistic of a chance do they have at getting PT in the future. I don't think they both do but they may want to compete it out and see one more year.

I wish Fran would just go with Moss, C. Williams, and Hutton as starters-or guys who will get a lot of time at least- and just let them grow as players together for the future. Assuming they're as good as we think they are.

I wish Fran would just go with Moss, C. Williams, and Hutton as starters-or guys who will get a lot of time at least- and just let them grow as players together for the future. Assuming they're as good as we think they are.

If they're the best players I'm sure he will. Jok is the only guy that's guaranteed anything IMO. The other 13 will be fighting for the remaining 8 or 9 spots in the rotation. I'm guessing 2 players RS. That leaves 2 or 3 guys wondering if they are ever going to play. Those are the 2 or 3 guys that will probably think about leaving the program after next season.

I don't think the reviews of Hutton have been all that glowing. He wasn't even all state in high school and is pretty limited on offense at this time.

One interesting thing to note regarding Ellingson is that he is in his second year on campus, and has already taken his redshirt year. If he were to transfer he would have to sit out a year and then have two years of eligibility remaining, most likely at a small school. If he plays out the next two years as a limited role player and graduates, he can transfer wherever he would like for his senior year. Food for thought.

Bohannon isn't a point guard. Williams isn't a point guard. Vital isn't a point guard. I have a hunch Fran disagrees. Williams was recruited to play point guard. Bohannon was recruited to play point guard. I suspect Vital was offered to play point guard.

Fran likes to have interchangeable pieces. And that's his likely plan with any and all of these guys. Devyn Marble wasn't a point guard either but he played the position a lot and did a pretty good job of it IMO.

Bohannon isn't a point guard. Williams isn't a point guard. Vital isn't a point guard. I have a hunch Fran disagrees. Williams was recruited to play point guard. Bohannon was recruited to play point guard. I suspect Vital was offered to play point guard.

Fran likes to have interchangeable pieces. And that's his likely plan with any and all of these guys. Devyn Marble wasn't a point guard either but he played the position a lot and did a pretty good job of it IMO.

To be fair the Point Guard position has been by far the weakest position overall for Fran here

To be fair the Point Guard position has been by far the weakest position overall for Fran here

To be fair, having one of the best TO to assist ratios in the conference and the country is nothing to shake a stick at. Gesell thru 3-29 is ranked 14th in the country at 3.15 per game and 2nd in the Big Ten. Hundreds of coaches would kill for that out of a point guard. The offense was in far better hands with Gesell in the game instead of Clemmons. So, Gesell didn't progress as much as a scorer as many of us would have liked, but it was far from the weakest position. I would say the weakest position was a power forward who could bang around in the paint. Iowa needed that toughness, Hopefully Tyler Cook can fill that void somewhat next season?

This is an exaggeration IMO. I'm not singling you out because many others have said comparable things in other threads. Fran used Cartwright and Marble his first 2 years. He was starting from scratch and had no choice. And to be fair...they did a good job IMO.

The last 4 years have been Marble, Clemmons and Gesell. Marble played the position well IMO. It was going to be extremely difficult to find a top tier point guard when there are 2 guys on the roster with a ton of experience. Not many top level guys want to be the 3rd string point guard and/or wait their turn. And the elite guys could go anywhere to play so why take a chance on the unknown...Iowa. So when most people comment about point guard recruiting, etc. they are really referring to 2 guys that committed when we weren't very good...to be kind.

I have every reason to think Fran had more options going into next year with the point guard spot wide open. And he opted for Williams and Bohannon...with Connor coming in a the following year. And it seems he's interested in Vital. Let's see how these guys work out before saying Fran has failed in recruiting the point guard position.

Personally, I think Fran has recruited the position quite well taking all things into consideration. And I'm not worried about point guard next year. But I don't tend to worry about these things...when I see a lot of talent on the roster. Put the best 5 out there and let's play ball.

Edit - I agree with Forever's comment on Gesell. And Clemmons was a very good defender and the 3rd leading scorer on this year's team.

This is an exaggeration IMO. I'm not singling you out because many others have said comparable things in other threads. Fran used Cartwright and Marble his first 2 years. He was starting from scratch and had no choice. And to be fair...they did a good job IMO.

The last 4 years have been Marble, Clemmons and Gesell. Marble played the position well IMO. It was going to be extremely difficult to find a top tier point guard when there are 2 guys on the roster with a ton of experience. Not many top level guys want to be the 3rd string point guard and/or wait their turn. And the elite guys could go anywhere to play so why take a chance on the unknown...Iowa. So when most people comment about point guard recruiting, etc. they are really referring to 2 guys that committed when we weren't very good...to be kind.

I have every reason to think Fran had more options going into next year with the point guard spot wide open. And he opted for Williams and Bohannon...with Connor coming in a the following year. And it seems he's interested in Vital. Let's see how these guys work out before saying Fran has failed in recruiting the point guard position.

Personally, I think Fran has recruited the position quite well taking all things into consideration. And I'm not worried about point guard next year. But I don't tend to worry about these things...when I see a lot of talent on the roster. Put the best 5 out there and let's play ball.

Edit - I agree with Forever's comment on Gesell. And Clemmons was a very good defender and the 3rd leading scorer on this year's team.

Both were fallback recruits, especially Bohannon. Fran has missed out on a lot of PG recruits

How do you come up with that? My point is Mike Gesell isn't the flashest best point guard but he gave his heart for 4 years in that position. I thought he was very good point guard,imo
Seriously whoever make the team and stay on the team and go to school and doesn't get in trouble or anything bad... I am grateful for that,I rather we have the coach to bring good men to Iowa instead of troublemakers.

Both were fallback recruits, especially Bohannon. Fran has missed out on a lot of PG recruits

That's because he actually tries for big fish. David would have just brought in Bohannon without even trying for anyone else. Lick would still be looking for his fallback recruit after Bohannon said no to iowa.

So you respond with a generic post containing zero substance? Okay, I will stop wasting my time. Any player we sign that isn't on your short list is a fallback.

He is a Clown troll, don't pay any attention to him.

Bohannon was a fallback recruit. Most Hawkeye fans that follow recruiting know that and were not thrilled he was the PG we got. I think Williams will end up being solid but I think a graduate transfer PG would fill a big need for next year. That does not make me a troll.

Latest posts