Chris Williams reporting Iowa offers Utoff

It would be nice to take a recruit from Wisky, seems like if we are both involved they usually get the kid the past ten years or so. He is awfully skinny but I'll trust Frans judgement until he gives me a reason not to!

6'8 190 ?????????? Kinda Vidnovic like 40 years later. That build would seem to be one logical question considering this is the Big Ten and not the MVC North.

This is what I was thinking as well. I think this is the type of player that would thrive in the Valley, but struggle in the Big Ten. There is no way he would see the floor for a couple of seasons in a BCS league. I saw him at the PTL tryouts and he is one of the skinniest kids I have ever seen.

The concerns about his size are justifyable because you never know how a kid is going to put on weight, but I think he is a player that you can't pass up. He is 6'8" maybe still growing, and brings some impressive offensive skills. When he bulks up (and he is working on it) he will be a very good and versitile D1 Big. We don't want his to get out of our back yard.

Why do some people feel it necessary for a big man to come in and play immediately? These guys typically develop physically at a later stage. If the guy can come in and redshirt his freshman year, play sparingly the next year and then have 3 more years to contribute what's the big deal? Theoretically we would have other big men that are already in their Jr/Sr years that are playing the majority of minutes and these kids have the time necessary in order to develop.

I think a lot of that right now is that we want to turn things around as quickly as possible. A lot of us are looking for those immediate game changers. I get that thinking right now.

Is he the best high school player in Iowa next year? I don't know anything about him. Anyone want to share some info?

I have very little concern about his weight at this point. His game is not a banger. He has offensive skills shooting and handling the basketball. He is not yet a senior in high shool and he weight 190. The player that I heard him compare most often to was Gordon Heyword(sp?) from Butler. Heywood's freshman year he was listed as 6"8" 200. Utoff at 6"8" 190 with 1.5 years before he plays in college is not a big concern with his type of game IMO. Would added strength help him yes and he is working on it.

Several folks out there are projecting that both Utoff and Oglesby are projected as top 100 players in their class. Hope we can land them both.

I have very little concern about his weight at this point. His game is not a banger. He has offensive skills shooting and handling the basketball. He is not yet a senior in high shool and he weight 190. The player that I heard him compare most often to was Gordon Heyword(sp?) from Butler. Heywood's freshman year he was listed as 6"8" 200. Utoff at 6"8" 190 with 1.5 years before he plays in college is not a big concern with his type of game IMO. Would added strength help him yes and he is working on it.

Couldn't you find a different player than someone from Butler? I've had enough comparisons with that program over the last few years. :p

Why do some people feel it necessary for a big man to come in and play immediately? These guys typically develop physically at a later stage. If the guy can come in and redshirt his freshman year, play sparingly the next year and then have 3 more years to contribute what's the big deal? Theoretically we would have other big men that are already in their Jr/Sr years that are playing the majority of minutes and these kids have the time necessary in order to develop.

Yeah, no doubt about it. If a big man can't come in and contribute immediately, they should be considered busts and wastes of scholarships...

sincerely -

Brad and Les

I am not saying that he would never become a good player, I was just stating that he would see a lot more run in a lower level conference because he is so skinny. Hayward had a pretty defined body his freshman year and IMO was quite a bit more athletic than Uthoff at this time.

I really agreed with the idea that most fans want instant impact players. I think I have fallen into a trap with that line of thinking as well. The great steady programs like Wisconsin are built around redshirting players and I would love for Iowa to fall in their footsteps.

I agree with the majority here. There are very few big men that show up to college campuses with the complete package. If they have the frame, it seems they lack footwork. If they have footwork, their hands suck. And so forth. I have never seen Utoff play, but from what I have heard he has most the attributes you are looking for except for the weight and strength. And he has plenty of time to continue working on that until he shows up to college.
Great offer.

Yeah, no doubt about it. If a big man can't come in and contribute immediately, they should be considered busts and wastes of scholarships...

sincerely -

Brad and Les

Singed by dudes that haven't played college ball in 20 some years? Not a real convincing argument, and its quite possible college ball has changed. Any good kid should be able to contribute right away. Might not dominate, or even be good, but should contribute.

Latest posts