Chiefs interested in Ferentz??

bud2380

Not sure if anyone has posted this, but here was an interesting tweet I saw this AM.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

If Pioli gets another chance in KC, it could be w/the coach he wanted all along - Kirk Ferentz. Again, nothing completely certain there yet.

No clue if this is anything more than speculation and apparently Pioli may get fired himself, rendering this entire topic moot. We'll see.

we can only hope-but KF is much smarter than that(he is stubborn, not stupid). he has 1. a high paying gig 2. complete job security

Not sure if anyone has posted this, but here was an interesting tweet I saw this AM.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

If Pioli gets another chance in KC, it could be w/the coach he wanted all along - Kirk Ferentz. Again, nothing completely certain there yet.

No clue if this is anything more than speculation and apparently Pioli may get fired himself, rendering this entire topic moot. We'll see.

Who is Albert Breer?

As for Ferentz and the Chiefs, the only remote possibility is if Scott Pioli keeps his job in Kansas City as GM. It's "assumed" by all Chiefs fans Pioli gets fired as early as tomorrow, but that's no guarantee. Owner Clark Hunt seems to still have high regards for Pioli. If Hunt listens to the fan base, he fires Piloli tomorrow. If he sticks to his gut he may keep Pioli.

I have no doubt Ferentz is the guy Pioli would love but Ferentz declined Pioli two previous times when offered the Chiefs job. Things are a bit different this time though. James has now completed his college career at Iowa, though youngest son Steve is a walk-on in the program. Son Brian would go with Kirk if Kirk took an NFL job based on having previous NFL assistant coaching experience at New England.

If Kirk has any NFL head coach aspirations, this would likely be his only shot and his last shot. KF turns 58 years old in a couple more months and with another rough season at Iowa as he had in 2012, no other opportunities are going to come his way.

My guess is within 24 hours everyone will know whether Pioli still has a job in KC or doesn't.

we can only hope-but KF is much smarter than that(he is stubborn, not stupid). he has 1. a high paying gig 2. complete job security

I think Ferentz has enough pride that he doesn't want to see his Iowa career end with a bad taste in everyone's mouth--a coach who gets fired, a coach who could get Barta fired for issuing one of the most ridiculous contracts in sports, and then a fan base that many would despise him for having to be such a massive buyout.

If Ferentz gets to the point where he doesn't think he can get it turned around at Iowa because it's sunk so deeply, something tells me he doesn't just hang in there because he'll get a massive buyout. The man has earned about $30 million already while at Iowa so for him I can't believe it's all about the money. The problem is, as you mentioned, he's incredibly stubborn. Sometimes I think Ferentz is the type of coach who could have three straight winless seasons and still believe his methods could completely turn around the situation.

I've said before that the most perfect ending at this point for all parties (Ferentz, Barta, the UI fan base), is that Ferentz gets offered an NFL gig and then takes it. Not something, however, I expect to happen for many reasons.

They're not going to keep Pioli.

They are, though. This tweet came on the heels of reports that KC is keeping Pioli, and giving him a new coach and QB. Ferentz is Pioli's 1st choice.

I honestly hope he goes, except I have no idea who we'd hire to replace him. Haven't heard anybody ever even speculate on somebody I'd like.

Lots of people agree that we're pretty bad off with Ferentz right now, but would we be even worse for a while if Ferentz leaves and we have no aqequate replacement?

They are, though. This tweet came on the heels of reports that KC is keeping Pioli, and giving him a new coach and QB. Ferentz is Pioli's 1st choice.

I honestly hope he goes, except I have no idea who we'd hire to replace him. Haven't heard anybody ever even speculate on somebody I'd like.

Lots of people agree that we're pretty bad off with Ferentz right now, but would we be even worse for a while if Ferentz leaves and we have no aqequate replacement?

Bob Diaco. ND def coord.

Something to think about if you are KF...Say Pioli stays on as GM and hires KF. You know as well as I do the Chiefs front office is putting Pioli on a very short leash which means if 2013 season is a tank like 2012 was Pioli will not survive. If Pioli doesn't survive past 2013 and a new GM comes in you know that new GM will want his own pick for a head coach. At that point KF would be toast and unemployed where as if he stayed at Iowa he would be still making millions.

Something to think about if you are KF...Say Pioli stays on as GM and hires KF. You know as well as I do the Chiefs front office is putting Pioli on a very short leash which means if 2013 season is a tank like 2012 was Pioli will not survive. If Pioli doesn't survive past 2013 and a new GM comes in you know that new GM will want his own pick for a head coach. At that point KF would be toast and unemployed where as if he stayed at Iowa he would be still making millions.

A guy like Kirk will always be a commodity. If he failed after two seasons in the League I'm sure he would find a landing spot back in the NCAA.

If he's going to jump to the NFL now is the time. And KF doesn't have to worry about money. He's going to get paid millions if he stays or goes.

I agree with this. He'd be a fool to go. And KF isn't a fool (clock management and other coaching decisions excepted, of course).

Who is Albert Breer?

[h=2]In answer to a real good question:[/h]
Albert Breer has covered the NFL since 2005, including two stints in the New England area as the Patriots beat writer for the Boston Herald and the national NFL writer for the Boston Globe. He also was the Cowboys beat writer for the Dallas Morning News and an NFL writer for Sporting News,. In addition to writing for NFL.com, Breer is a reporter on NFL Network's Total Access and other shows.

Isn't it interesting thateven though there are some on this board dissatified with KF -- that he is still an object of desire in the market? Hmmmm... that certainly is telling.

Cmon Bonanza. You are smarter than to actually think Iowa could t find an adequate replacement for Ferentz? You really believe the Iowa job is so "non attractive" that we could not find a solid coach?

Are you pleased with the direction of the program at the moment? Is Ferentz seemingly running it in the right direction and of all you have seen do you actually believe it's a "sure thing" he can turn it around here?

At some point it's time for another to step in and get a shot. Ferentz has been at Iowa for 14 years. He's done incredible things.....but MOST of those incredible things were done during his first 6 years at Iowa. Not alot of "great" has been done in his last 8 years at Iowa. The guy has a .500 Big 10 record at Iowa over the past 8 years (32-32). That's not exactly "getting it done."

I will not cry if Ferentz leaves Iowa tomorrow and we are forced to find a new head coach.

Latest posts